Passed another ASE

-

rmchrgr

Skate And Destroy
Reaction score
That's four under my belt, four to go. Any other ASE-certified techs here? Does anyone care about ASE certifications? I see a lot of people saying they're not worth paying for. They do get you more money in some places. I'd rather have them then not. Feels good to pass the test though, they can be tough.

Should actually be six under my belt as I did a really dumb thing last pencil and paper testing, I missed two tests one night, had the dates screwed up. Gotta wait until spring now.

I say pass every test you can and show what you have done,and be proud of it,screw them if some think its useless,its you that matters,and the money is on your table.I have been doing automotive/trucks/aircraft/race cars for 35 years and have the top cards,and try and find a good tech with the paper work to back it up,and not a yahoo back yard mechanic.Do what you are doing and do every test and make your self beter,mrmopartech

Congratz! I used to help my x with her BMW master certs and they were more of ***** than she was (she sucked at math and not in a good way). ASE's do matter to those in the know...

Get what you can get. Keep in mind you are only as good as your exp. can prove. That may help sopme

people land these so called good jobs but if you can't produce you will be out of there as quick as you got there

i am going to school for two years and will be starting working on those tests this spring. i think they matter and will help get a job and assure urself that you are smart lol

Congratulations,I used to have three certifications when I wrenched and I agree they help wirh getting a better job/pay.I dont know they really proved that much-(there is no substitute for experience)-but to me they are definitely worth having.

Congratulations,I used to have three certifications when I wrenched and I agree they help wirh getting a better job/pay.I dont know they really proved that much-(there is no substitute for experience)-but to me they are definitely worth having.

Zactly!

I have 12 ASE certs now. What cracks me up about these is I have been a tech. for 25 years now and work on diesels every day. The guy that runs our lube rack cannot repair an engine for lack of knowledge. We both went and took the diesel ASE test he only missed 2 questions and I failed by 10. To me if you can read their study guide a porter can pass these tests. They show nothing of actual hands on knowledge. BTW he is a retired cop and didnt even change oil until a couple years ago so to me it doesnt prove you can do the work.

At every job I have worked I have been told by my employer that I have the most talent they have seen for diagnosing and repair.

I have 12 ASE certs now. What cracks me up about these is I have been a tech. for 25 years now and work on diesels every day. The guy that runs our lube rack cannot repair an engine for lack of knowledge. We both went and took the diesel ASE test he only missed 2 questions and I failed by 10. To me if you can read their study guide a porter can pass these tests. They show nothing of actual hands on knowledge. BTW he is a retired cop and didnt even change oil until a couple years ago so to me it doesnt prove you can do the work.

At every job I have worked I have been told by my employer that I have the most talent they have seen for diagnosing and repair.

I know people with MBO's that can barely tie thier own shoes. Education doesn't gaurantee competence. I delt with many fkhead graduate motorcycle mechanics that didn't know how to "use" a mercury stack. Yeah, they figured out how to hook it up, but didn't really know how to sync carbs, or what the readings meant.

Not all of them were like this, just 99% of them were. No school can teach apttitude and/or wisdom......

I have all mine. :cheers: Been a tech for 28 years. Go ahead and get them all, it does help getting more pay. Just remember ASE does not give ability only experience will do that.
Anyone remember what it was called before they shortened it to ASE?
Now I feel old...

Alvin, welcome aboard. I think it ment "Automotive Service Ecellance"

The funny thing about "Pro Mechanics" and "Backyard mechanics" that seriously run a home biz vs. a serious hobbiest is a little paper that says "Schooled."

There are maybe at best 1 backyard mechanic worth anything vs the hords of school and experianced mechanics out there in the world. And if you can actually find a home mechanic worth his salt, he went to the school of hard knocks that has taken years to do vs. a short schooling.

It's similar to a freind of mine who spend years as a helichopter )SP!) mechanic in the army. When he came out of the service, employers were impressed with his service record and voiced knowleadge of chopers, but would not let him near the flying machines without a paper certificate saying he knows something.

Enetr job lose to a kid new out of school with a 12 X 8 paper that sez he knows something.

I have all mine. :cheers: Been a tech for 28 years. Go ahead and get them all, it does help getting more pay. Just remember ASE does not give ability only experience will do that.
Anyone remember what it was called before they shortened it to ASE?
Now I feel old...

HINT: Started with an "N".
feeling older...

it does help to have your ase certs with most employers. my employer pays for my ase as long as I pass. I did have an employer that also gave us a raise for each test passed as well. I my self have to renew 4 of mine this spring.
and with the way times are the more certs you have the better chance at getting a job you have.
on the other hand a piece of paper doesnt mean anything if you cant fix a vehicle and produce hours as well.

I've been ASE certified for longer than I can remember.
Employers like to see it on a resume and the customers
feel better when they see the ASE signs. But there is
nothing like on the job experience.
Mine come due in 3-4 years. I'm not getting recertified.
It costs way to much now and I'm going to retire in about
8-9 years.

I have all of them for the service end. Employers do like to see that. You need them to get chrysler training in dealership. I see a lot where people come out of schools and they have all the ase through school tests and are good at reading a service manual but do not have a clue when they actually have to do the work.

I have been ASE certified since 1974 when they first started. It was called NIASE back then. I have been Master Certified since 1980. I now own my own shop and I take me and my techs being certified very seriously. I agree it isn't a perfect way to prove what you know, but then what would be? You can't really do a written test and a hands on test for everyone. Then it would be like a AAA Troubleshooting Contest!

No offense to anyone but at the shops I worked at the ase guys were the first to *##* things up, nothing beats hands on experience, ase is just an easy in.

At the same time, congratulations, hope it takes you where you wanna go.

Just finished up mine. I'm 21 this year and a BMW Level 1 tech (3=entry), and ASE Master Cert.

Majority of the public cares more about those ASE tests than I do.

Keep it up rmchrgr and congradulations. I say get all the paper (certificates, trades ticket, degrees) for the wall that you can, especially while you're still young. They (and they know who they are) can never take your them away from you and any new employers will love ya since you allready come trained. I've personally got 2 trades tickets and mechanical engineering degree and I've never regreted it for a second.

Terry

I say go for as many as you can! I was an ASE certified machinist back in the 90's. I let it expire in 1997 because I was planning to get out of the engine building business.

Now I'm in Information Technology, where certs matter a lot, but only if you can also do the work. There was a time when there were a bazillion Microsoft certified techs that couldn't troubleshoot their way out of a wet paper bag.

Good luck and keep up the good work!

Why would a guy like you waste such valuable time chasing after a piece of paper that might do you some good in the future when you could be watching TV and becoming a couch potatoe. At a boy...Get em all if ya can. No room at the bottom.

Thanks guys. Obviously nothing trumps experience but I feel like if I'm armed with these they'd much rather take a second look at me before someone who has none. It's like saying you're willing to invest in yourself, just like you invest in tools that make the job easier. I will get all 8 hopefully before the end of the year in 09.

-
Back