PayPal rules

-
Just adding my 2 cents about this:
I did not have a paypal account until a couple weeks ago. I agreed to sell a part to a guy and when we started discussing the "how" on the payment part of it, I gave him my email address and phone number. I was expecting him to contact me to discuss the how to get paid as I didn't have paypal and have not shipped parts before. I just sold a few things local - cash sales. He sent me money through paypal using my email address. I knew he did this (even thou I didn't have an acct) because I got an email from paypal saying I had money waiting there for me, even before the guy said he had sent it. It was a friends n family payment. I was able to set up the account and transfer the money into my personal account very easily. The transaction has gone well, money received and his satisfactory part received also. Then a couple days later I agreed to sell something else to another person. We used paypal also, but he did the "purchase" option(not sure the correct terminology). I could not deposit the money until he "lied" and clicked the button that said he received item, or I had to wait 21 days. No way I could wait 21 days to send the part(and 21 days still did not guarantee payment). I could not send the part until I had received payment for part AND shipping costs. I refunded the money and said I won't use paypal. He said wait a minute. Then he sent it friend n family. I have no clue(very small clue) how paypal works. But then i was able to transfer into my account and sent item. I have done a total of 4 sales so far with paypal all have been friends and family - I see nothing wrong with it as mopar family is family, and we all friends right. 2 sales happy and final, 2 sales item still in transit but will be happy also. I am one of the paypal users that asks for friends and family(i have no clue on fees) I ask for the simple reason I need the shipping paid for before I ship and really want the item paid for also. I am an honest person but YOU don't know that(I am sure a handful know this). So if you don't trust me at my word that I will do what I say in a sales transaction - I can't blame you whatsover. It just means we can't make a deal - no big deal.

Let me ask you this.
How much have you perceived that you lost out on in ever buying a part paying between 3% and 4% on the sale of the part?
So what?
You sure love to make a mountain out of a mole hill.

Next time you see someone asking 4%, look to see if they are a Canadian.
Pretty sure they get dinged more from Pay Pal, because a USA sale is considered a foreign transaction.
Maybe asking, to cover their *** on the sale.
Dunno.
Well I am saying that for somebody to charge you an unfair or incorrect amount you're saying it's okay. Why don't people just mail you their pay check and you return the part of the money you don't want.
You really seem to have no problem over screwing people out of 1%. If 1% is nothing to you how about 2% is it also nothing.

Last edited:
Well I am saying that for somebody to charge you an unfair or incorrect amount you're saying it's okay. Why don't people just mail you their pay check and you return the part of the money you don't want.
You really seem to have no problem over screwing people out of 1%. If 1% is nothing to you how about 2% is it also nothing.
Now wait a damm minute here.
When something sells, i charge the 3% fee that i'm going to get dinged for selling the item.
Your the cheap skate that seems to think 1% is going to pay off the national debt, or somebody is going to make a killing off a measly 1% on a transaction.
Then answer the question how much money your out in your lifetime on a piddly *** 1%.
Sounds like you reuse the Charmin too, and need something else to really worry about in your lifetime.
Really, get a life.

When something sells, i charge the 3% fee that i'm going to get dinged for selling the item.
Your the cheap skate that seems to think 1% is going to pay off the national debt, or somebody is going to make a killing off a measly 1% on a transaction.
Then answer the question how much money your out in your lifetime on a piddly *** 1%.
Sounds like you reuse the Charmin too, and need something else to really worry about in your lifetime.
Really, get a life.
Being a cheapskate has nothing to do with it what bothers me is your attitude that it's okay to screw somebody out of another 1% or more. I think it's great that you only charge 3%. But for some reason you want to argue with me over screwing somebody out of another percent. There is no gray it's either black or white right or wrong. I hope you make your fortune selling your parts and pieces. But I hope you do it honestly cuz if you didn't I wouldn't pee on you if you were on fire.

Really, get a life.
just guessing(from a person of integrity).... I think what he is saying is if the charge is 3% then be honest and say 3% and if they really want 4%... say that another 1% would be for ??(whatever the honest answer the other 1% is going for) instead of grouping the 3% and 1% into them same thing... just guessing... some folks appreciate complete open honesty

Being a cheapskate has nothing to do with it what bothers me is your attitude that it's okay to screw somebody out of another 1% or more. I think it's great that you only charge 3%. But for some reason you want to argue with me over screwing somebody out of another percent. There is no gray it's either black or white right or wrong. I hope you make your fortune selling your parts and pieces. But I hope you do it honestly cuz if you didn't I wouldn't pee on you if you were on fire.
You just don't get it do you?
There are reasons someone might wan't to ask a 4% fee, on doing a payment transaction.
Nobody is going to make any kind of money "screwing" anybody out an additional 1%.
Your really going to get rich doing that?
Give me a break.
Really, you need something better to do with your life, if 1% is giving you such a big heartburn.
Then what do you do when somebody sends you the bill for XXXXX amount of dollars for parts, shipping, Pay Pal.
You don't know if the seller is getting 3%, 4%, or any higher amount.

Last edited:
There are reasons someone might wan't to ask a 4% fee, on doing a payment transaction.
Nobody is going to make any kind of money "screwing" anybody out an additional 1%.
Your really going to get rich doing that.
Give me a break.
Really, you need something better to do with your life, if 1% is giving you such a big heartburn.
I don't get it?

I think you don't get . it.

Usually if you watch the people that are charging you to 4% PayPal fee there also the ones that are charging you BS prices for shipping and handling and packaging. Why would anybody want to deal with somebody like that I don't know. Unless you really need something they got an don't mind being bent over for it.

I don't get it?

I think you don't get . it.

Usually if you watch the people that are charging you to 4% PayPal fee there also the ones that are charging you BS prices for shipping and handling and packaging. Why would anybody want to deal with somebody like that I don't know. Unless you really need something they got an don't mind being bent over for it.

Now your bringing shipping, and packaging costs into this pissing contest.
You don't sell much, or anything over this site do you.
You haven't got a clue what it costs to send items out these days either thru the USPS, FEDEX, UPS, people.
I routenly have to send packages out in the 15-30 + pound range and if you think it's cheap to do that you are sorely mistaken.
And have you gone to a packaging store lately and purchased any kind of rolls of bubble wrap, or cardboard boxes, of odd ball sizes to package up parts in?
You better be sitting down in your rocking chair when you find out.
Shipping costs these days are a big deterrent in selling parts, and sending them out.
You go and do it sometime and find out.

And now the USPS is warning us in regards to a very substantial rate increase for everything, across the board, starting in January, after the holiday rush.
It's going get lots worse, and it ain't gonna be 1%, that's for sure.

Let me give you a little story here.
2 weeks ago i sold a pair of disc brake spindles to a guy up there in the interior of Canada.
They were advertised here on this forum, and also on ebay.
He purchased them off ebay, as he didn't see the ad, here on this site.
I told him $67.75 to mail out in a USPS International flat rate box.
BUT i forgot, didn't remember, didn't know, that there is a 20 pound weight restriction on an international package, flat rate.
At the post office the package weighed in at 22 pounds.
So to get it into Canada it was $87.00.
I had to request an additional $20.00 from the buyer, to mail it out to him.
He paid, without any complaints.
So $87.00 frekin dollars to get a package, north of the border.
You think I'm ripping him off on a shipping charge?
Go to the post office some time, and send something out that doesn't fit in one of their flat rate boxes.

People think they're getting ripped off all the time, that haven't a clue what it costs in the real world, in this day and age.
I, and other sellers have to deal with this, with buyers, all the time.

Last edited:
just guessing(from a person of integrity).... I think what he is saying is if the charge is 3% then be honest and say 3% and if they really want 4%... say that another 1% would be for ??(whatever the honest answer the other 1% is going for) instead of grouping the 3% and 1% into them same thing... just guessing... some folks appreciate complete open honesty
Now wait a minute here.
When writing up, placing an ad, who in the world is going to write a dictionary what the money is going to be used on.
There's no reason to do that.
At times when i place an ad in the alphabet soup, web sites, or on ebay, i do state my shipping charge is with insurance fee, and signature delivery fee, on the package.
Doing that to let them know, why the shipping charge is the way it is.

Last edited:
Now wait a minute here.
When writing up, placing an ad, who in the world is going to write a dictionary what the money is going to be used on.
There's no reason to do that.
At times when i place an ad in the alphabet soup, web sites, or on ebay, i do state my shipping charge is with insurance fee, and signature delivery fee, on the package.
Doing that to let them know, why the shipping charge is the way it is.

I gotta throw in here , there for a short time , paypal was charging me over .03% , but it was under .04% , why , I don`t know unless they were just making mistakes. It happened on 2-3 purchases, but has settled back to .03% since then . ????
In my case, there are usually more trips to USPS than one, to check shipping, then notify the buyer, and waiting on payment thru paypal before I ship. GAS ain`t free here in the rapem area !

I gotta throw in here , there for a short time , paypal was charging me over .03% , but it was under .04% , why , I don`t know unless they were just making mistakes. It happened on 2-3 purchases, but has settled back to .03% since then . ????
In my case, there are usually more trips to USPS than one, to check shipping, then notify the buyer, and waiting on payment thru paypal before I ship. GAS ain`t free here in the rapem area !
I would think that gas would be part of the shipping charge not 3% paypal service fee.

when selling i ask a price plus paypal fees.. that simple..

if buying i settle on a price and expect to pay the paypal fee and thats it. settled price (shipping is in that) and paypal fee... nothing more....

i've passed on quite a few things over the years because the seller wouldn't take paypal.. if want something i want it paid for and shipped in the following two days unless otherwise agreed upon. i'm not waiting for the slow *** post office to mail a stinking money order out, then wait another coupe days for the seller to ship the item out.. way too many other seller with the same item that accepts paypay to be going through all that bullshit..

Your really going to get rich doing that?
Give me a break.
Then what do you do when somebody sends you the bill for XXXXX amount of dollars for parts, shipping, Pay Pal.
You don't know if the seller is getting 3%, 4%, or any higher amount.

In the case of Hemi71X if he charged an additional 1% for the calipers I got from him then so be it.... People piss that away daily in the beer isle. They exceeded my expectations....

On the flip side I spent some money with "well known" person on here and got misrepresented in regards to information as to my application.... and then didn't get all the parts and had to stay on top of him until everything finally showed up. And that was a Friends transaction.... No thanks as I don't want to be on my own little lonely island. don't need that in my life. But if 4 % protects me, then so be it....

If I do a friends transaction, in the back of my mind it means I am OK with losing that money if it doesn't pan out. It's no dig on people in general but how I personally feel about protecting myself in regards to transactions. And if it offends a seller, keep your part. Heck, I am one covering the fees....

JW

from the paypal site...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Selling is 2.9% + $0.30 per sale.

That's a small price to pay for accepting major forms of payment from any of the 203 million active customers worldwide. There are no hidden PayPal fees. You don't have to pay anything until you get paid for selling something. Our rates are some of the most competitive in the industry – keeping you in business and your customers happy.

More about PayPal merchant fees

Sales within the US 2.9% + $0.30 per transaction
Discounted rate for eligible charities 2.2% + $0.30 per transaction
International sales 4.4% transaction fee plus a fixed fee based on currency received
PayPal HereTM card reader 2.7% when you swipe a card or 3.5% plus $0.15 for manually entered transactions

Last edited:

Thanks for this Bob. I have to agree here, and have routinely charged my customers 3.89% when they elect to use Paypal for my services ... because that's what the first 30 transactions calculated out to when I first opened the account.

Special thanks go out to @abodyjoe too for not only sharing the fee link before (bookmarked :thumbsup:) and again just now for posting the current fee schedule. I found out I have undercharged every single international customer I worked for for the last 12 years haaaaa classic!! From now on I'll read those emails from Paypal if for no other reason than to be fair to customers.

Past customers will attest I encourage them NOT to use the Gift Option. Although I would never intentionally screw anybody over, there are sadly many who will. In my opinion a few bucks in fees more than pays for the assurance you will receive everything you're entitled to in the transaction. It's simply cheap insurance.

I charge my hourly rate for time spent wrapping and packaging items for shipment. What no one knows but me is that, from the time I select a proper 3" larger box from my stash to taping it up, it ALWAYS takes a lot longer than I think should be charged for. So the 45 minutes I spent REALLY getting your custom valve covers, oil caps, baffles, decals, Hand Job soap and other goodies all prepped gets written down as 15-24 minutes instead.

Packing materials aren't cheap. I recycle as much as I possibly can. You often get back the same wrappings you used sending your parts here.

I don't charge the hour it takes to type my invoices, or scrounging the box stash at the Dollar General, or driving to and from the Post Office if FedEx isn't picking it up. I probably should ... but perhaps it balances out that .89% I "overcharged" domestic customers through the years.

@Jadaharabi, though I appreciate honesty, the comment about the fire was offensive. We can all get our points across civilly without getting personal.

Last edited:
Thanks for this Bob. I have to agree here, and have routinely charged my customers 3.89% when they elect to use Paypal for my services ... because that's what the first 30 transactions calculated out to when I first opened the account.

Special thanks go out to @abodyjoe too for not only sharing the fee link before (bookmarked :thumbsup:) and again just now for posting the current fee schedule. I found out I have undercharged every single international customer I worked for for the last 12 years haaaaa classic!!

Past customers will attest I encourage them NOT to use the Gift Option. Although I would never intentionally screw anybody over, there are sadly many who will. In my opinion a few bucks in fees more than pays for the assurance you will receive everything you're entitled to in the transaction. It's simply cheap insurance.

@Jadaharabi, though I appreciate honesty, the comment about the fire was offensive. We can all get our points across civilly without getting personal.
Sorry to offended your delicate nature. But the comment was directed to any dishonest individual.

Special thanks go out to @abodyjoe too for not only sharing the fee link before (bookmarked :thumbsup:) and again just now for posting the current fee schedule. I found out I have undercharged every single international customer I worked for for the last 12 years haaaaa classic!! From now on I'll read those emails from Paypal if for no other reason than to be fair to customers.

I charge my hourly rate for time spent wrapping and packaging items for shipment. What no one knows but me is that, from the time I select a proper 3" larger box from my stash to taping it up, it ALWAYS takes a lot longer than I think should be charged for. So the 45 minutes I spent REALLY getting your custom valve covers, oil caps, baffles, decals, Hand Job soap and other goodies all prepped gets written down as 15-24 minutes instead.

Packing materials aren't cheap. I recycle as much as I possibly can. You often get back the same wrappings you used sending your parts here.

I don't charge the hour it takes to type my invoices, or scrounging the box stash at the Dollar General, or driving to and from the Post Office if FedEx isn't picking it up. I probably should ... but perhaps it balances out that .89% I "overcharged" domestic customers through the years.

Did I post that I just received a reimbursement from paypal, because of a dishonest ebay seller??!! Was only $18 something, but friends and family would have cost me $18 something !!

-
Back