performance on a budget??

-

MvJackson

72duster
Reaction score
hi i just bought a 72 Duster and it has the original slant 6 in it.
i was wondering if there were any quick and easy tips/products that could help get a little more power into my slant6?

i was thinking of going to a 2bbl carb(which one)
what else could i do?

Thanks everyone in advance.

I'm not a big fan of the /6 myself and the above answer of dropping a V8 in there is what I would do myself... But it doesn't answer your question. So let's start with....

I think the 2bbl. is a good idea.

Your current state of tune.
Ignition upgrades.
From plugs, good wires, cap and rotor. An electronic distrinutor would be a plus. Adding a multi spark to it should produce a bit more power and mileage. Or even a HEI conversion.

Letting it breath! In and out. From simple air filter upgrades and muffler change outs, power and mileage can be found. Stepping up in pipe diameter helps as well though if the exhaust is currently in good shape, the price is something you have to OK.

I don't know if a header is OK for your endeavors.

If getting the car to move faster after engine upgrades are done is needed, more stall converter and steeper gears will get the car to move in a hurry well. Even modest amounts of stall and gear change help a lot.

A move to a 2000/2200 stall and 3.55's will show a nice improvements over the stock comverter and probably the 2.76 gears it came with.

Although I love the slant, I agree with the 318 upgrade.

there was a member selling a 3.23 (I think) gear set for the 7.25 rear end
it wont help you make power but it will help you put the power you do have to use

Lol don't take this personally everyone but every time someone asks about performance upgrades on a slant six forum someone always posts the v8 thing. Don't you think they know that a v8 is cheaper, more or less, this is the slant six part of our forum.

It like someone telling you to drop in a 572 hemi in your small block car because you asked for upgrade ideas for your small block

Really?

Maybe post your slant six ideas in the slant six forum and leave anything else out

I installed a B and M racing shift kit in my 904 tranny. You should have the same trans. It's about $100 for the kit. It recalibrates fluid pressure in the transmission and you'll have much better acceleration. Top speed isn't affected much, but get a high stall converter with the kit and you'll be flying through your first and second gear. If you are uneasy about tearing the transmission apart then have someone else do it. It takes a couple hours but is worth every dollar. Plus, saves gas. Just a little

About the shift kit, the easiest way is to actually remove the transmission and work on a stand rather than trying to do it on the car

Lol don't take this personally everyone but every time someone asks about performance upgrades on a slant six forum someone always posts the v8 thing. Don't you think they know that a v8 is cheaper, more or less, this is the slant six part of our forum.

It like someone telling you to drop in a 572 hemi in your small block car because you asked for upgrade ideas for your small block

Really?

Maybe post your slant six ideas in the slant six forum and leave anything else out

First, he has two posts. How the heck do we know what he knows? From the context, I gather that he might not know the slant is expensive to build and will not make a lot of power. I also gather that he may not know that the 318 would be cheaper to build and easier to find go fast parts for. At least now he knows and he can make an informed decision. If he decides to still go with the slant, more power to him. We'll still be here to help. Nothing wrong with knowing every alternative and that's all we're doing.

So yes. Really.

GEARS.Period. The quickest, easiest, least expensive,pays good returns, mod you can do. Especially if you have an 8.75.
I did the whole 2BBl, bigger exhaust, higher stall, A999, yadayada thing. Nothing woke it up like gears.Might as well start with the thing that works.JMO

OK, my two cents worth.
First, if you really want to stick with the /6, then I would first do a compression check. If you have poor compression in a few cylinders, there is little reason to proceed. If the compression test is good, then I like the ideas of 2 bbl carb, less restrictive exhaust and gears. I'd also throw in a complete tuneup, oil change, air filter change, new PCV valve etc.
If you are open to the V-8 idea (that would be my suggestion), then I'd find a 318 or 360 for the car. Then, as your budget allowed, you could throw a few mild performance parts on it and have all the power you want. So the BIG question we need to know is: "Do you really want to keep the /6, or are you open to the V-8 idea"

like Mike just said, compression test to see what you have.

I guess the first consideration for any build is intented use and whats expected? as far as the slant goes, I think a lot of us in the hobby are intrigued with the little engine and just getting some respectable acceration out of it while getting good mileage. cool factor.

The most cost effective mod for a slant six is to increase the compression. It is more work then changing the intake/carb, or exhaust, but yields better results. If the engine is in basically good condition, pull the head and have it milled to get a compression ratio of about 9 to 1. Stock slant has less then 8-1. There is no down side, to this mod. It will increase both power and economy. While the head is off, it wouldn't hurt to have the valves freshened up, and when going back together, you could upgrade the intake.

Thanks everyone.
I am going to try and get this slant going really strong. Then eventually put in a v8.
Maybe make it a 340 clone.
Just don't have time between work and school to build a new engine /trans.
But thanks for the tips and I'll be sure to post when it's done.

The most cost effective mod for a slant six is to increase the compression. It is more work then changing the intake/carb, or exhaust, but yields better results. If the engine is in basically good condition, pull the head and have it milled to get a compression ratio of about 9 to 1. Stock slant has less then 8-1. There is no down side, to this mod. It will increase both power and economy. While the head is off, it wouldn't hurt to have the valves freshened up.

To the original poster:
Do a compression check to see what kind of condition your new slant is in.
Make sure the timing chain is not stretched.
Adjust the valves.
Keep advancing the static timing until you detect knocking then back off a couple degrees.
Just basic things like that will assure that what you have is putting out whatever it has in it.

Charrlie,
Regarding milling the head 0.100.
Does that have a negative affect on valve train geometry? Can the stock mechanical rockers make up the difference? I haven't looked real hard but it's far more common to find thicker composition head gaskets that original style steel. So that would lose about 0.020 right there.
My head is at the machine shop right now and my machinist really tried to discourage me from milling the head 0.100 thinking I'd be getting into custom length push rods.

this is the slant six part of our forum.

to be honest with ya, i click on the new post link at the top of the page and never take notice as to what forum the topic is actually in. for all i know its in the general section...

to be honest with ya, i click on the new post link at the top of the page and never take notice as to what forum the topic is actually in. for all i know its in the general section...

Exactly what I do too.

Thanks everyone.
I am going to try and get this slant going really strong. Then eventually put in a v8.
Maybe make it a 340 clone.
Just don't have time between work and school to build a new engine /trans.
But thanks for the tips and I'll be sure to post when it's done.

if it were me I wouldn't even tough the slant 6

why spend money on a motor you will eventually ditch for a larger one?

now, if you want to upgrade the gearing first, that will be usefull with the V8 aswell and I think that is the ONLY investment you can make to the car that will benefit both engines

everything else, intake, exhaust, machine work, is money that will be spend twice

Regarding milling the head 0.100.
Does that have a negative affect on valve train geometry? Can the stock mechanical rockers make up the difference? I haven't looked real hard but it's far more common to find thicker composition head gaskets that original style steel. So that would lose about 0.020 right there.
My head is at the machine shop right now and my machinist really tried to discourage me from milling the head 0.100 thinking I'd be getting into custom length push rods.

I have never had a problem with pushrod length on a 225. I have had a problem on a 170.
However, I run a nonstock cam, which has a smaller base circle, and helps cure the problem.

I will make an educated guess that .100 off the head and a non shim gasket you will be ok.

if it were me I wouldn't even tough the slant 6

why spend money on a motor you will eventually ditch for a larger one?

now, if you want to upgrade the gearing first, that will be usefull with the V8 aswell and I think that is the ONLY investment you can make to the car that will benefit both engines

everything else, intake, exhaust, machine work, is money that will be spend twice

Yeah the gear work will probably go first.
i might do the rest and keep it around for another car in the future if something bigger gets dropped in there.

But thanks for the advice.
I'm really new to this and just trying to get the most out of the engine I have at the moment.

I TOTALLY agree with diymirage. If you do plan to put a v8 in it someday, just tune it up and drive it for now. Every penny you spend on 'hopping' up the /6 is money you could be spending on the v8 conversion.

However, I run a nonstock cam, which has a smaller base circle, and helps cure the problem.

Funny, I had thought of the smaller base circle after talking with Ken at Oregon Cams but forgot to mention it. Sent my cam to them just last Friday for a regrind. Checked UPS tracking this morning and its only made it to Illinois so far.

Lookup posts and videos of slants running <11 sec 1/4 mile. That is with a turbo and other upgrades, and a turbo is currently a roll-your-own. One guy hopes to beat the new Charger HellCat.

-
Back