Piker Porting (Intake Manifolds)

-
It's an engine master episode, intake shootout of sorts. I'll see if I can find the episode #
I found it. It’s a 598BBC single plane intake test.
31CF2A4C-A0F5-427B-88A2-5006CF7C2F2D.png

season 4 episode 52.

The problem with that test is the 600" hi revving bigblock . The dyno pull starts around 5k... that really doesnt translate to what we are trying to achieve on 408-416 CI street engines that need to idle and go 20 mph downtown or cruise down the hiway at 60 mph .

The problem with that test is the 600" hi revving bigblock . The dyno pull starts around 5k... that really doesnt translate to what we are trying to achieve on 408-416 CI street engines that need to idle and go 20 mph downtown or cruise down the hiway at 60 mph .
I agree. Although I do wonder what/if the difference would be if you added a turtle to an already sorted out “street/strip” oriented 400+ inch small block with a single plane. And so no one has to go watch the episode I’ll spoil it, the manifold with the turtle had better distribution, made more average hp/tq and more peak hp/tq than any other manifold in the test. Surprisingly it flowed the same amount of air and used the same amount of fuel as the 2nd place intake but made more power.

I agree. Although I do wonder what/if the difference would be if you added a turtle to an already sorted out “street/strip” oriented 400+ inch small block with a single plane. And so no one has to go watch the episode I’ll spoil it, the manifold with the turtle had better distribution, made more average hp/tq and more peak hp/tq than any other manifold in the test. Surprisingly it flowed the same amount of air and used the same amount of fuel as the 2nd place intake but made more power.

1st ... was the manifold with the turtle identical besides having a turtle ?
2nd More CFM doesnt equal more power if 1 cyl is getting way more air than the other 7. Or some cyl are running fat. Then they become a drag to the others.

If bending a 6” single cut oval and knocking teeth off is the only way to get that textured finish so be it. Rasp burrs are not just for wood. I’ve actually used a wood specific rasp burr (as well as a rasp file) on aluminum angle and fabricated 6061 brackets to round over cuts and shape corners, aggressively, in years past. It leaves a very coarse finish just doing that, using it in a typical way. Varying pressure can leave the finish relatively smooth or rutted/gouged. Used other ways it may be possible, maybe not. Use a Dremel and grind every other tooth down, make it coarser, I rule out nothing. The guy that came up with a bent single cut burr with teeth knocked off is an example. Experimentation. He may have already tried a rasp type burr and it failed, who knows

Here’s what a Nicholson “wood rasp” file can do in about 10 seconds on the surface using firm pressure and then the edge really laying into on some 6061 aluminum (looks like a Squirrel or Beaver gnawed on it)

View attachment 1715859684

View attachment 1715859695

I’ll have to dig out my rasp burr and see what finish I can attain on scrap. Using a slow drill.

If you can get that finish with a wood rasp I say go for it. That’s what you want. Either way you do it, you do not want to leave divots like a golf ball has. It doesn’t do the same thing. Sharp, raised edges is what you want.

Cfm is cfm. Engine doesn care if 7 cylinders flow 300 and the 8th flows 305, it just makes use of the air/fuel and will make that much more power.

If you take and lessen the flow/hurt the tune..then it does care and responds negatively.

If you use no baseline...then you could call it half full vs half empty aka call it whatever you want.

If you can get that finish with a wood rasp I say go for it. That’s what you want. Either way you do it, you do not want to leave divots like a golf ball has. It doesn’t do the same thing. Sharp, raised edges is what you want.
When a cast booger at the top of a short turn can actually be why it hangs on while the others without the booger fall off.

I’ll be trying different techniques, speed, pressure, angles, cross hatches and so forth on a scrap plate of aluminum and see what I come up with. I have a good bit of woodworking experience with rasps (and as I’ve mentioned, use on aluminum) I have zero experience bending a burr, notching teeth and the control techniques. May have to learn at some point. I’m hoping the rasp will work.

I’ll be trying different techniques, speed, pressure, angles, cross hatches and so forth on a scrap plate of aluminum and see what I come up with. I have a good bit of woodworking experience with rasps (and as I’ve mentioned, use on aluminum) I have zero experience bending a burr, notching teeth and control techniques. So I’m hoping the rasp will work.

It doesn’t matter how you get the finish. As long as you get the finish. I mean hey, if you can get the correct finish with a toothbrush all that matters is you got it. IMO, there is no right or wrong way to get it. I hope the rasp works for you. If it does, I’m going to buy some and see how bad I do with them lol.

Cfm is cfm. Engine doesn care if 7 cylinders flow 300 and the 8th flows 305, it just makes use of the air/fuel and will make that much more power.

If you take and lessen the flow/hurt the tune..then it does care and responds negatively.

If you use no baseline...then you could call it half full vs half empty aka call it whatever you want.

I wouldnt clasify 5 cfm as way more.
Even distribution does make a difference in overall performance. Which is why tunnel rams works so well .

I wouldnt clasify 5 cfm as way more.
Even distribution does make a difference in overall performance. Which is why tunnel rams works so well .
Haha so we are debating finite ball hairs..20hp
I agree, which is why I state it as all it is ...an increase by using the word 'more'.

Haha so we are debating finite ball hairs..20hp
I agree, which is why I state it as all it is ...an increase by using the word 'more'.

This is the fuel distribution on one of the early dyno runs of my 408
I believe this effects output. The dyno wont read below 10 on AFR

797CF92C-763C-4AC3-BA24-1A8EC516E25D.jpeg

I'm going to share a pic... it's of work I did in 06/08... it was before I knew surface finish and effects...I was merely watching the flow numbers.
This is a victor 340.
It was flowed bolted to j heads that flowed 270's at the time and in this example is still restrictive..but that's not the point...the following is the point...
Ootb with it bolted to the head on the bench ..it only allowed 242-247 cfm.
After i did the small amount of work shown I the picture in conjunction with a tiny 7/16 spacer I also blended to the flange...it went 265-268 cfm. Keep in mind... you need it to flow with the heads. Any bigger then you need isnt necessarily helping your combo.
That's with next to no work, near zero in comparison with what I'm seeing you guys do without knowing where it ends up.
There is still much more left in this vic 340 intake to be had, no ****. My point is less is more sometimes...and if you cant measure it... where are you going to end up? If you start hogging away.. you're completely changing every last characteristic and it might be a toilet when you're done.

20220127_180127.jpg

20220127_180104.jpg

20220127_180109.jpg

Last edited:
He does it now. I am retired/banned from the shop. I only go there to give lessons when needed. Who's shop do you think he is working in. He just has better eyes and a tad more knowledge. LOL . Oh yeah He's bigger then me now and talks back.
You said awhile back you were promoted to supervisor. lol

I'm going to share a pic... it's of work I did in 06/08... it was before I knew surface finish and effects...I was merely watching the flow numbers.
This is a victor 340.
It was flowed bolted to j heads that flowed 270's at the time and in this example is still restrictive..but that's not the point...the following is the point...
Ootb with it bolted to the head on the bench ..it only allowed 242-247 cfm.
After i did the small amount of work shown I the picture in conjunction with a tiny 7/16 spacer I also blended to the flange...it went 265-268 cfm. Keep in mind... you need it to flow with the heads. Any bigger then you need isnt necessarily helping your combo.
That's with next to no work, near zero in comparison with what I'm seeing you guys do without knowing where it ends up.
There is still much more left in this vic 340 intake to be had, no ****. My point is less is more sometimes...and if you cant measure it... where are you going to end up? If you start hogging away.. you're completely changing every last characteristic and it might be a toilet when you're done.

View attachment 1715860118

View attachment 1715860119

View attachment 1715860121
A Victor toilet. Just think, you might end up solving the stopped up toilet problem. Talk about high flow.

Rat Badtid, thanks for the observations, the tips and at the least humoring my outside the box thinking regarding alternative possibilities for a textured finish.
I’ll let you know how it works out on the practice stock.

Last edited:
You ever heard of vicious cycle in Portland Or?, I played in a band with the owner decades ago. He was a drummer, really good mechanic and really fast!, used to race a fair amount. Sorry for the derail lol
https://www.viciouscycle.com/
Name sounds familiar. I may have met them at ARHMA races and they are quite likely friends with Scott Wallenberg who owns RacerX magazine. Scott plays in a band as well...... the bikes in my pics are from a friends shop Union Cycles .

You said awhile back you were promoted to supervisor. lol
Lost that position to his wife after he got married. He said "I do" she said "You won't". I was demoted to the shed with no heat or chair. It does have a light but goes out when the batteries go low. It sucks standing there yelling at yourself in the dark.

My wife brings me lunch down. Yesterday she set it outside the door on the way to feed the chickens and the dogs ate it. Other then that life is good.

Lost that position to his wife after he got married. He said "I do" she said "You won't". I was demoted to the shed with no heat or chair. It does have a light but goes out when the batteries go low. It sucks standing there yelling at yourself in the dark.

My wife brings me lunch down. Yesterday she set it outside the door on the way to feed the chickens and the dogs ate it. Other then that life is good.
Dammit. You ain't got it quite so good. lol

Rat Badtid, thanks for the observations, the tips and at the least humoring my outside the box thinking regarding alternative possibilities for a textured finish.
I’ll let you know how it works out on the practice stock.

I get a notification even if you delete your post.
What was it you deleted?
I'm just trying to share..

Whenever I see a thread take a turn into pics of animals and different unrelated interests...I begin to wonder how important the conversation is. Are we reluctant to have a serious conversation for some reason?

-
Back