Pink 70 340 Duster goes for $62K on Mecum

-
i don't understand what your goal is here?
My goal is manifold. But, in part, it's to understand why a forum thread about a car turns into a figurative jousting tournament.
Someone has a differing opinion or irritating online personality.... full speed ahead, run 'em through!

admonishing me for busting dan's balls?
more along the lines of why someone feels compelled to do that and then blame the target.

using the thesaurus?
Would like for people to do that more often.
having an opinion?
would like for people to do that, but I do find your line of reasoning for your opinion as irrational. (to the extent of this thread only).

if you knew anything about me, which you clearly don't, nobody would describe me as "lofty" or "haughty".
I never described you as "lofty", "haughty", I made an observation about the words you choose. You made it to be a description of you.

Do us all a favor, go back and read some of the threads Dan has started in the last year. Even the ones that haven't been deleted will make your eyes bleed after a dozen or so of them. And you should have seen the ones that were deleted, there have been several at least.

We've been trying to help Dan for a looooonnng time now, and there are many, many, many of us that are simply out of patience. He doesn't own a Mopar, he pretends to know a great more than he actually does about them, and quite frankly, he's been trolling us all for so long it's amazing anyone is reasonable with him at all.

He's a champagne man with a lite beer budget, and he will put the blame on his lack of ownership of what he wants on anyone or anything but his own unreasonable expectations. That's about as nice as I can be about it.

i don't understand what your goal is here?
My goal is manifold. But, in part, it's to understand why a forum thread about a car turns into a figurative jousting tournament.
Someone has a differing opinion or irritating online personality.... full speed ahead, run 'em through!

admonishing me for busting dan's balls?
more along the lines of why someone feels compelled to do that and then blame the target.

using the thesaurus?
Would like for people to do that more often.
having an opinion?
would like for people to do that, but I do find your line of reasoning for your opinion as irrational. (to the extent of this thread only).

if you knew anything about me, which you clearly don't, nobody would describe me as "lofty" or "haughty".
I never described you as "lofty", "haughty", I made an observation about the words you choose. You made it to be a description of you.
this conversation no longer holds any merit or value for me and i don't wish to participate in it any longer or engage with you any further. moreover, i don't feel the need to explain my behavior to you in any way, shape or form. your use of implied semantics is a tool used to goad people into senseless discussions which are banked on becoming argumentative, which i will not play a part of.

my stance and level of irrationality are well established by those that know me and whom i have respect for. that alone is enough for me.

have a good one, chief.

I have heard the Mecum guys say most folks get about 50 cents on the dollar when they sell a restored car. I’m not sure exactly how costs are calculated for most. Lots of guys do a lot of their own work and still rack up 30-40k or more.

Most guys probably don’t keep too close of track of the costs to stay out of divorce court.

Nice one for less?

IMG_0652.png

Yellow 70 Hemi cuda vert, just sold, $1.95M. I didn't realize Legendary Motorcar up here in Ontario did the resto.

I view this like owning a house. These auctions only increase the value of my car, albeit it doesn't matter as I won't be selling.

387803013_10226992667631742_4689640228344818219_n.jpg

Had to have well over $100K in that Mike Mancini resto. Then the NOS parts bill… Had to have paid $15-$25K for it around 10 years ago for the base starting point. It was a nice driver/survivor-ish to start.

Maybe broke even. Doubtful. Very doubtful.

But owner got to enjoy owning the car. Thinking he’s had it for 10 years.

Last edited:
I dont known if it's good for the hobby, but it helps the libido! :thumbsup:

double edged sword. more intrest in the cars helps with aftermarket parts. at the same time all these televised auctions have done is raise the prices of rusty junk to stupid levels. definatley not good for the abody part of the hobby. over the years abody guys are one of the most frugal groups out there. way too many complain they want this and that made but when it comes down to buying it they back away..

Last edited:
This is why the average guy can't afford to get into or stay in the hobby.all these guys with more money then brains, :icon_fU: :icon_fU:no way in hell that car was worth what they paid..and good luck recouping what you paid:BangHead::BangHead:

Lol. Just because you can't afford it doesn't mean it wasn't worth it, you sound like @Dan the man

A /6 Duster cloned over to a 340 sold for $62k. A very nice TX9 340 Duster sold for $108k. A concours award 340 Duster sold for $145k. Has the other moulin rouge 340 Duster sold yet? It likely got close to $100k. So, it's not like 1 dude overbid and bought a car way over what it was worth, this is a trend for the entire market. Maybe this particular auction is higher, but it's not out of whack by 50% like people like you seem to believe.

Honestly the guys buying these cars at auction have a MUCH better chance of making money on them. The people that built them lost money. The TX9 car sold for $108k and allegedly had $125k into the restoration. The yellow '71 had $250k into it?! But these cars are still gonna hold value for awhile, and possibly even gain considering the prices the B/E bodies are getting. Hold onto that car for 5 years, sell for 10% more, not a terrible investment. I think using cars as in investment is terrible, but it's not like you're going to stop it.

And yeah, there it is. $145k for a Duster.

Do you know what the moulin rouge '70 340 car sold for? It was supposed to go across the blocks today

double edged sword. more intrest in the cars helps with aftermarket parts. at the same time all these televised auctions have done is raise the prices of rusty junk to stupid levels. definatley not good for the abody part of the hobby. over the years abody guys are one of the most frugal groups out there. way too many complain they want this and that made but when it comes down to buying it they back away..

Yeah I really hate that the uber wealthy use these cars as investments. They drive the whole market up, and IMO most of them aren't really car enthusiasts. Like you buy a '70 AAR with 8,493 original miles, the original TIRES, and you spend like $300k on it. Neat, but no one is gonna drive that car, it's a complete waste. There's an amazing car, that is known as an amazing car because of its performance, that's never performed. Waste.

But, on the flip side, it also means more of these cars are going to be fixed. It means aftermarket support for a lot of them that might not have gotten it otherwise, because there's profit to be made selling reproduction parts. And it means people will spend the money to restore them because there's at least some recoup of funds. Yeah, are a bunch of ads going up right now asking $20k for a rusty hulk that will cost $100k to restore? Yup. But they won't sell (or most won't) and those people want to sell them they'll have to separate the 1 of whatever car that got a zillion dollars at Mecum from their rusty hulk, because they're not the same.

I agree, I love watching the works of art tho. Nobody is forcing people to buy these, so "forcing" prices is between 2 consenting parties.

Had to have well over $100K in that Mike Mancini resto. Then the NOS parts bill… Had to have paid $15-$25K for it around 10 years ago. It was a nice driver/survivor-ish to start.

Maybe broke even. Doubtful. Very doubtful.

Be owner enjoyed car. Thinking he’s had it for 10 years.
The scary part is, that car is not an original V24 car and the hood paint in the inner fenders are incorrect, and it looks like the rear leaf spring shackles are on backwards.

Who says I can't afford it??..correction not dumb enough to spend that kind of money on it do you seriously think the buyer is going to get ALL his money back when he/she resells it probably not even close,unless he finds another sucker!!!

You can't afford it. Maybe you've got $160k laying around, but you don't have so much that taking a loss on a $160k investment isn't a big deal for you. I'd be willing to bet the buyer's got enough that they could lose the entire $160k and not be too concerned about it, just another write off.

And yes, I believe that the whoever bought that car will probably get their money back as long as they can hold it long enough to sell at the right time.

People said the market on these cars peaked 20 years ago, and the prices have what? Doubled since then? Tripled? I wouldn't bet against the investors at these auctions.

-
Back