Pink 70 340 Duster goes for $62K on Mecum

-
Can afford or can't afford doesn't come into the equation of what a car sells for. I can see from many responses, Dan's especially, that they've never spent a dime at a body or restoration shop having body and paint done in the past 5 years with $1000/gallon paint. Scouring Craiglist and know values, give me a f'n break.... for what scams.

Restoring a car these days isn't for the faint at heart. I bent the door back on my Bird last October when the car dropped into reverse and pinned me to my pop machine. What started as a repair and paint blending on one side and trying to match the 36 year old paint turned into a $24,000 Cdn job with me doing almost 1/2 that work + parts. Then I couldn't live with the new to old difference, we pulled the car apart and stripped it to bare metal and did body and paint on the entire thing. Another $35,000 to the paint shop and I'm still bolting it back together right now. 60 grand... in the blink of an eye.
superbirdfullpaintdassembly5 006.jpg

2016 to 2019 I put $168K Cdn into my Bee that's been mine since 1979 and my Father's before me. All the restoration shop did was a LOT of metal replacement (the entire floor, rear frame rails and passenger front) and then body and paint on the bare shell. I gutted it prior to sending nothing but a shell to them. Darn near $10,000 was paint supplies alone for House of Kolor material. $6000 more was the stainless trim being sent out for polish and all door glass parts being rechromed at the same place that the Guild uses for all of their stuff. I rebuilt and or restored EVERY part on the car except the seats. I'd done them in '88 and were still mint. EVERY bolt on the car was touched. I'd be lucky to get a 1/3rd of that for the car IF I was ever to sell it. That'll be up to my Son if it happens, third generation behind the wheel..
beeandhp2cruisedaryljuly32022 096.jpg

Last edited:
Maybe I've got $160k :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: ..thanks for the laugh!!

Hey maybe you do. Wouldn’t really explain why you sold your car or came in here whining about being priced out of the hobby though.

Can afford or can't afford doesn't come into the equation of what a car sells for. I can see from many responses, Dan's especially, that they've never spent a dime at a body or restoration shop having body and paint done in the past 5 years with $1000/gallon paint. Scouring Craiglist and know values, give me a f'n break.... for what scams.

Restoring a car these days isn't for the faint at heart. I bent the door back on my Bird last October when the car dropped into reverse and pinned me to my pop machine. What started as a repair and paint blending on one side and trying to match the 36 year old paint turned into a $24,000 Cdn job with me doing almost 1/2 that work + parts. Then I couldn't live with the new to old difference, we pulled the car apart and stripped it to bare metal and did body and paint on the entire thing. Another $35,000 to the paint shop and I'm still bolting it back together right now. 60 grand... in the blink of an eye.
View attachment 1716191668

2016 to 2019 I put $168K Cdn into my Bee that's been mine since 1979 and my Father's before me. All the restoration shop did was a LOT of metal replacement (the entire floor, rear frame rails and passenger front) and then body and paint on the bare shell. I gutted it prior to sending nothing but a shell to them. Darn near $10,000 was paint supplies alone for House of Kolor material. $6000 more was the stainless trim being sent out for polish and all door glass parts being rechromed at the same place that the Guild uses for all of their stuff. I rebuilt and or restored EVERY part on the car except the seats. I'd done them in '88 and were still mint. EVERY bolt on the car was touched. I'd be lucky to get a 1/3rd of that for the car IF I was ever to sell it. That'll be up to my Son if it happens, third generation behind the wheel..
View attachment 1716191665

Exactly. People saying these cars aren’t worth what they’re selling for haven’t figured out that even the cars selling for $100k are selling for a loss after the restoration costs. Dusters are getting 6 figures because it costs that much for that level of restoration.

Wahoooo I love a duster.....gimme some more

Exactly. People saying these cars aren’t worth what they’re selling for haven’t figured out that even the cars selling for $100k are selling for a loss after the restoration costs. Dusters are getting 6 figures because it costs that much for that level of restoration.
If I invested 100k in a complete restoration of a Volare, I'd be lucky if I could get 30k for it. There's a "cool" factor that is adding to the value of these auction level cars. And people want to pay those prices. Sure, let them, who cares, not my money

Classic cars are the new antique market. Make hay while the sun is shining

Some folks are visionaries, some are fools. Pretty hard to tell the difference sometimes until a few years down the road. If you make money, you’re a visionary, if you lose your a fool.

It‘s what I call situational intelligence, how the situation turns out determines how intelligent you look…..

If I invested 100k in a complete restoration of a Volare, I'd be lucky if I could get 30k for it. There's a "cool" factor that is adding to the value of these auction level cars. And people want to pay those prices. Sure, let them, who cares, not my money

Classic cars are the new antique market. Make hay while the sun is shining

And less than 20 years ago someone that did a $100k restoration on a Duster could have said the same thing, which is why a lot of the high end restoration shops wouldn't even take an A-body until the last decade. Times change. Maybe 10 or 20 years from now the Volare's will be getting $100k.

Some folks are visionaries, some are fools. Pretty hard to tell the difference sometimes until a few years down the road. If you make money, you’re a visionary, if you lose your a fool.

It‘s what I call situational intelligence, how the situation turns out determines how intelligent you look…..

There's plenty of investors at those auctions, they've weighed the risks on spending that much on those cars. There's definitely still a lot of risk involved, but if there wasn't a good chance they'd make money they wouldn't be doing it.

That's not even the spendy one...
Screenshot 2024-01-13 at 3.52.52 PM.png

Or this one. I was surprised a gen3 Charger got that much. So was the owner I guess, because the reserve came off at ~$300k

Screenshot 2024-01-13 at 4.01.50 PM.png

Sold my duster cause' I stop racing and it sat for 5 years sold it to someone who really wanted it and I got just about what I wanted for it..now for whining about being priced out,I certainly wasn't talking about me I can buy just about anything I want,was refering to the guys that don't have a lot of money to spend on cars and the guys who are paying wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy more then these things are worth!!

So, you're on a website for a car you don't own any more complaining about being priced out of a hobby you don't participate in and could afford if you wanted, in solidarity with people that can't afford it? Sure, ok. Maybe you should get a new hobby.

As for what they're worth, seems like it's a lot more than you think. And I'd bet the guys spending hundred of thousands of dollars on these cars are better investors than you are, and probably have a MUCH better idea of what they're worth now and will be worth in the future. Or at least they're wiling to put their money where their mouth is, doesn't seem like you have any skin in the game.

So, you're on a website for a car you don't own any more complaining about being priced out of a hobby you don't participate in and could afford if you wanted, in solidarity with people that can't afford it? Sure, ok. Maybe you should get a new hobby.
Lol people always have opinions about collecting. Monet collectors talk trash about Picasso collectors. Ferrari collectors talk this same way about A body collectors. This is all a matter of perspective.

Objectively, at the end of the day an old Mopar which was built by drunks on an assembly line 50 years ago isn't materially the same as a hand built Ferrari.

Who cares what other people spend their money on? I don't give a **** if someone can or can't afford something. I see both sides of this argument being incredibly insecure; the people who can't afford it are being weird about the price because they're broke and the people who can afford it are being weird and desperately trying to justify where their money went.

WHO CARES, GROW UP

some of it is driven by investment: i like cars, and these will appreciate in value.
some of it driven by status: i have a collection and i have this in my collection.
some of it driven by ego: i have this and you don't

the one thing that is overarching is that all of these people operate in a different atmosphere. i'm not saying we're all a bunch of broke dicks over here, but for the most part anything sub 100K is nearly a rounding error in the fun budget for them.

there is also people out there who aren't into the hobby and just want that specific car for some reason. they've attained a level of wealth at which it isn't burdensome to spend the money and they're comfortable splashing the pot for the best possible example. this is also why you see a lot of cars get sold again a year or two, three later with virtually no mileage put on them.

classic cars attract all types. from knuckle dragging greasy mechanics to private plane starched collar highliners. even here on the forum you can see the marked difference in groups of drivers, racers and restorers. to me, that's one of the great things about these metal mistresses; they inevitably link everybody together.

Objectively, at the end of the day an old Mopar which was built by drunks on an assembly line 50 years ago isn't materially the same as a hand built Ferrari.
pfft!

like massimo and berto weren't smashed on Lambrusco dell'Emilia Rosato while they were knocking together 330 gt's

rrrrriiiiigggghhhhttt...

You missed one junkyardhero!

Some people just grew up on Mopar, like wrenching on them, sharing that love with family and driving the **** out of them any opportunity they can. :)

And we live on a gravel road to boot !
beeandhp2cruisedaryljuly32022 043.jpg

familycarcruiseoct12022 177.jpg

fday4.JPG

familycarcruiseoct12022 093.jpg

familycarcruiseoct12022 171.jpg

mothersdaycruisemay142023 057.jpg

347230353_3216996908591027_2010860251830345739_n.jpg

mothersdaycruisemay142023 109.jpg

1967formulasbaracudatestdrive 054.jpg

Last edited:
This thread reminds me of why I don’t come to this place much anymore.

A seller put a car up for auction and a buyer decided what they were willing to pay for it.

Period.

But some folks here think that they should pass judgement on the transaction as if they have a right to. It happened, get over it.

What’s next, bark about the moon shinning brighter than you want, complain that the winds blow more than you want or less than someone said they would…perhaps the snow fell more or less than you wanted?

Jeez, get a life. Reality is what it is…not what you think it should be.

I‘m out.

A car is only worth what a person is willing to pay and that person that bought the pink duster paid 62k so that car was worth that much that day period.

62k for one pink duster, 99k for the real pink duster, 104k for black duster, and 150K or what ever it was for the yellow duster, then that yellow 318 4 spd twister duster sold, good auction for dusters I would say.

Saw the blue Hemi 4 spd '69 Charger bid to 120k didn't hit reserve. But them dusters all found new homes.

And the whole internet blowing up about the high prices of dusters at auctions that was a lot of fun.

Well obviously it was worth it to the guy that bought it.
Get a car, and then members might take you a little more serious. Until then you are just an internet troll.
I don’t think someone has to currently own a car to be an enthusiast. I no longer own an Imperial but I still post on Forcbodiesonly . And I have many owners of cars that don’t know much about them .

I don’t think someone has to currently own a car to be an enthusiast. I no longer own an Imperial but I still post on Forcbodiesonly . And I have many owners of cars that don’t know much about them .
Do a search on the guys posts. He's been trolling the site on buying a car for months and months. His shtick is getting old, and many members will agree with me. :mob:

Lol people always have opinions about collecting. Monet collectors talk trash about Picasso collectors. Ferrari collectors talk this same way about A body collectors. This is all a matter of perspective.

Who cares what other people spend their money on? I don't give a **** if someone can or can't afford something. I see both sides of this argument being incredibly insecure; the people who can't afford it are being weird about the price because they're broke and the people who can afford it are being weird and desperately trying to justify where their money went.

WHO CARES, GROW UP

And if someone wants to spend $60k on a Volare, what then? All the classic truck guys will be selling their Volare K members! :rofl:

I don't care what people spend their money on. I'm not some rich guy, I just like driving old cars. So I don't really understand the investors, I think a bazillion dollar 1 of whatever with no miles on it is kinda silly, and a waste of an awesome car. I'd love to see someone buy one of those all original low miles cars and then burn the hides off it coming out of the parking lot and drive it half way across the country to get home, resale be damned. So if you see somebody do that, maybe I won the lotto :steering:

I just hate all the guys bitching and complaining about "these cars aren't worth that". Well, actually, it kinda seems like they are. And maybe one auction isn't a trend, but if you look at prices in some of last years auctions you can see that Dusters in particular are on the way up. And hey, maybe those guys that paid 6 figures for a Duster will lose their ***, but so what?

Doesn't matter to me, I'm not under the disillusion that my '74 Duster is worth what those auction cars are worth, and it wouldn't matter if it was because it's not for sale whether it's worth $10k or $100k.

Definitely interesting! The blue '72 that went for $30k is a real 340 car. The pink '70 what went for $62k is a /6 cloned to a 340. The '71 Twister that sold for $42k is a 318 car. Not sure about the '70 with the 360 that didn't sell at $45k, it's a drag race set up with a coil over conversion (not a pro-touring car like I previously said, oops). And then the mega-bucks restorations of real 340 cars that hauled 6 figures or nearly that.

5 years ago they wouldn't have gotten half what they hammered at, definitely lots of money going into classic cars right now.

-
Back