Plasti Dip..has anyone else tried it?

-

Moepar

Reaction score
Since my wheels are old and the chrome is just starting to pit I decided to try this Plasti Dip on my wheels just to give it a different look before they got bad. Turned out I really like this stuff, I painted them on the car and the best thing about it if I get tired of it I just peel it off. Just wondering if anyone else has thought about trying it.
Before and after

Attachments

• 459 (800x600).jpg
    83.4 KB · Views: 646
  • photo (5) (800x600).jpg
    114.7 KB · Views: 659
Haven't used it on wheels but the spray version works well on battery trays and such.

Never thought of using it on wheels but I like the look! tmm

My son has done this a few times with much success. You have to prep/clean the surface well and then build up with 4-5 light coats. He buys spray cans from Lowes at $8 a piece, just under a can per wheel.

Frank

My son uses it to put stripes on his car and also on his spoiler works great he pulls it off and changes the look all the time comes off great.

I had MT wheels on my Roadrunner that looked just like that new and I loved them.
Yours look great.

On the cars that I resto-mod, I dip the first few coils of the hood popup spring in it. I let it dry, and dip it again. That keeps the spring from scratching the bottom of the hood.

Well, I've had this paint on the wheels now for a couple weeks. I drive the car all the time so it's not like they don't see the road. I don't see one scratch or chip anywhere on them at this time. My friend has had it on his longer than I have and his is the same. I think the durability will be pretty good.

Believe it or not but a guy at work painted his whole BMW with the stuff. He takes a lot of grief from everyone but after 6 months it still looks as good as it did when he did it. If I were to paint something flat black I would try it. If I wouldn't like it I would just peel it off.

Apparently this is some serious stuff. Loads of people are doing crazy things with it. Wheels, door handles, hoods, details, trim, accent stripes. You can even make a Car Bra. Things that make you go Hmmm.....

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vvkq-qyY9aY"]Myths About Plasti Dip (Vol 1) - YouTube[/ame]

I helped paint an entire 2000 Subaru Impreza 2.5RS in matte white Plasti Dip. Aside from a few spots that weren't taped right (user error), it looks great.
From 10' away, you can't even tell it was a repaint. Highly recommend it as a low-budget form of preserving the body work with low funds.

What are the steps for doing the wheels ?
I know it's big with the Audi crowd to blackout the grills

Seems like this stuff makes the famous/infamous "roller paint job" obsolete. Quicker, easier, and almost as cheap...

And BTW to the OP, I think the black wheels look 10X better!

Believe it or not but a guy at work painted his whole BMW with the stuff. He takes a lot of grief from everyone but after 6 months it still looks as good as it did when he did it. If I were to paint something flat black I would try it. If I wouldn't like it I would just peel it off.

One of the guys on the camaro forums I just joined painted his car with it as well. A lot of the Jeep guys use it on their wheels as well.

The stuff is amazing. You can paint over it. I have had it on my Ram for at least 3 winters. Its held up great. Its not easy to get off if you clear it or put paint on top of it...........I know from experience. Great touch on the wheels:glasses7:

-
Back