Post your favorite Mopar Myth.

-
NOW, I have to say, the Barracuda and the 'cuda were in fact 2 separate cars?

Two separate packages. The Barracuda being the base model and the 'Cuda the performance package (think R/T on the Dodge side). Of course, I'm speaking of the E-bodies.

I just thought they got a series of serious face lifts and the 'cuda was a mere shortened labeling of the actual "Barracuda"............

Nope. If you see an E-body badged 'Cuda, you'll know it's got something under the hood.

As far as the shortening to the word "Cuda" when speaking of all Barracudas is just us getting lazy. My '74 Barracuda is just that: a factory 318/904 Barracuda. I still call it my 'Cuda.

I know that the Valiant was the basis to the car body, but still.....I thought the Barracuda and the 'cuda were like the 1969 Coronet, and the 1970 Coronet, same car, just a serious "face-lift" from one year to the following year.....

Going from '69 to '70, the Barracuda stopped being the A-body and became the new E-body. The E-body shared it's underpinnings (suspension) with the B-body cars, even though the engineers wanted to build a fresh car from the ground up. The bean counters said "no" and consoled the engineers with the fact that '71 would see a new B-body from the ground up.

That Iacocca was such a great hero for getting a government loan to save Chrysler then paid it back early. Not quite that simple. A lot of creditors settled for much less than the full amount due. It still amounted to a government bailout package. Just saying.

OK, time for a story. Friend of mine had a 4x4 Chev pickup, he bought new, this was about '71 or 72. He thought he'd buy a used hotrod and have a second "rig."

So we end up at this dealer with an inCREDibly irritating salesman, and he just about INSISTS that we HAVE to drive this 70 'Cuda sitting there. I don't remember anymore, 340?

Anyhow this dope gives me a big huge lecture on "Don't EVER call it a 'Cuda' because the cops and insurance people will be all over you."

So I worked my way around to the rear of the car and as' 'im "uh, whut's thet saa raght on that there rear panel, ummmmm?"

42512-500-0.jpg

I don't know any myth's but I have a strange truth..

Back in 1977 or 78 a couple of older guys from Timers Car club came into my Dad's shop to pick up some brake shoes and we started to talk.They told me that the Chry Parts Depot down the road from our shop were disposing of old sheet metal and blocks..
They had tried to buy a new Hemi block but no one there could sell them any of those parts that were to be disposed of.
So my Dad calls up the dealer that we use for parts and asks what's going on...they don't know anything about it but they will look into it for us.
My Dad tells them he'll buy everything (sheet metal,cast iron,plastic) if they will sell it by the lb.
Then he tells me to run down and see what's there..
I go in the front door and ask everyone I see in the office about these old parts that are being disposed of and where are they..
Nobody knows what I'm talking about so they ring the back and someone comes up front..
The guy says yep we are disposing of some parts but in no way are they to be released to the public..
He says that the cast parts are out in a little fenced area on the north side of the building and he had the warehouse workers take a hammer to it all..
Sure as hell there were blocks back there with the lifter valleys smashed right out of them..
That's the only tid-bit of Chry info I know..

Actually I hear that most coming from the GM camp. "Chrysler never built a 350."

It was the first B engine.
Dad's 58 Desoto Firesweep convertible is a 350 with California emissions. One year only-looks just like a 383. Here's a weird mopar myth......in the 70's mopars-not sure of what all years-if you put your hazard flashers on, and step on the brake pedal, the flashers will stop. Keep your foot on the brake, and gently work the hazard button back in, and the radio will come on with no key! I found this out on a charger I had, and a few friends did it on a dart sport and a cordoba.

No offense, kind of out of the O.P's original intentions. I already know,about European influence, and the WW 2 engineering /aeronautical Chizzler development. Chrysler proposed this as an option, they determined it would fail E.P.A./C.A.R.B emissions standards.(I.E.,they pulled the plug..).If it was not offered,I consider it a partial truth... My statement, sticking to it.

Well yeah in the case of the Ball-Stud Hemi it is a Myth. never built but still a myth at least in my books anyway. it was to be the best of "both" worlds, wedge and Hemi designs.....AND be emission passed power......Even if the plug was pulled!

The ball stud Hemi ain't a myth. At least one was made. A myth is something that doesn't exist. While it was never offered as production, at least one certainly did exist.

Have fun with hoover and the ball stud info!

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JdeRQDVwhMs"]SS And AFX Ramchargers Presentation MATS 2014 - YouTube[/ame]

OK then the "Doomsday" Hemi.........."A925" Hemi inspired by Ford's "Cammer" 427......Was "placed" engine NEVER ran. would have been something if they actually had done those bolt on parts for the normal ole 426 Hemi block. as that all it was to be is bolt on accessories....

OK then the "Doomsday" Hemi.........."A925" Hemi inspired by Ford's "Cammer" 427......Was "placed" engine NEVER ran. would have been something if they actually had done those bolt on parts for the normal ole 426 Hemi block. as that all it was to be is bolt on accessories....

again watch the vid, its all in there

Dad's 58 Desoto Firesweep convertible is a 350 with California emissions. One year only-looks just like a 383.

The 350 also denoted the first engine for corporate engines under the Chrysler flag. Before that each manufacturing division had it's own engines.

I have a factory dual quad intake off a 350 I've been trying to figure out a build for.

The ball stud Hemi ain't a myth. At least one was made. A myth is something that doesn't exist. While it was never offered as production, at least one certainly did exist.

JMO,if it isn't available & disappeared to the general public,I consider it a myth. One or two exists,none available to the everyday man.Kind of like the canted port Chev 302.(yep, two were made .Smokey's handiwork)....

I consider the Hemi A925 a myth, Why you ask? It NEVER ran! They did a "Mock-Up" and had the heads to have electric motors spin the dual Cams in them to "show" how it work.......The engine itself, NEVER ran under its own power, nor was EVER in a car, or on a dyno!

2 were to be said "made" one existed, and was never to be seen or heard of after that Nascar "fight" with ford over the "427 Cammer" they wanted to use to fight on the track with the racing 426 Hemi from our camps.......The regular ole 426 Hemi, (not that it was anything "regualr" to it), continued on, as did the Ford 428 Cammer......

The DOHC 426 was NOT able to be purchased by ANYONE, it was then boycotted after that, never to be heard of or visited, again!

The DOHC 426 was NOT able to be purchased by ANYONE, it was then boycotted after that, never to be heard of or visited, again!

not even in a twin turbo supercharged version ?

should have no problem keeping up with them duke boys now :burnout:

I consider the Hemi A925 a myth, Why you ask? It NEVER ran! They did a "Mock-Up" and had the heads to have electric motors spin the dual Cams in them to "show" how it work.......The engine itself, NEVER ran under its own power, nor was EVER in a car, or on a dyno!

2 were to be said "made" one existed, and was never to be seen or heard of after that Nascar "fight" with ford over the "428 Cammer" they wanted to use to fight on the track with the racing 426 Hemi from our camps.......The regular ole 426 Hemi, (not that it was anything "regualr" to it), continued on, as did the Ford 428 Cammer......

Correct, except the Ford was a 427. The doomsday hemi was purely made (on paper) as a threat to force Nascar to disallow the Ford cammer. Basically a "if they get that, then we'll run this" type of deal.

Correct, except the Ford was a 427. The doomsday hemi was purely made (on paper) as a threat to force Nascar to disallow the Ford cammer. Basically a "if they get that, then we'll run this" type of deal.

Yeah that's a TYPO on my part I'll correct that it was the 427.....

And yes, it was one of those you allow that we come with this......

Gotta love it tho!

All Mopar guys are resto nuts, not interested in using modern technology or doing upgrades to steering, brakes or drivetrains.

-
Back