Power Steering Pump Pulley not lining up

-

MoparGirl

Reaction score
What to do? Engine is 68 340 with Mopar Performance alum. water pump. The ps pump from the 63 doesn't fit (brackets issue) and the one off an 86 318 fits but the pulley is about 1/16 to 1/8 inch off (sticks out further than water pump pulley.)

New pump? Different brackets?

What to do? Engine is 68 340 with Mopar Performance alum. water pump. The ps pump from the 63 doesn't fit (brackets issue) and the one off an 86 318 fits but the pulley is about 1/16 to 1/8 inch off (sticks out further than water pump pulley.)

what pulleys ya using? have pics of your set up?? a 68 motor shouldn't have the alum pump.. if your using the 68 pulleys and a newer pump that may be where the problem is.. what PS pump are you using?

If you change to the aluminum water pump you usually need to change crank and water pump pulley and also power steering and alternator brackets. The later Federal or Saginaw pumps have brackets that will work. If you have the Thompson pump then you will have to change power steering pumps. Been there, done that!

They have spacers for the water pump pulley so that means its a common problem but then anything else running off of it would be affected.

solid pulleys and spoked pulleys, convex and concave. They can be as much a puzzle as any other suspension and steering compnent. There was a vmdor who specialized in brackets , Buchellion Performance or something like that. Good luck.

I'll post a pic tomorrow, it's dark here now. The pump off the 63 looked totally wrong so we are trying to put in the pump from the 86 truck. Problem is when I bought the 340, it was just the engine and nothing else so I'm trying to work with what I have. I went with the Mopar Performance alum. water pump cause that was all that came up when I searched for a fit on Summit using the 340 engine. I'm not opposed to buying a new ps pump but both the ones I have do function just having trouble with the fit. I didn't realize changing pulleys would be a possible requirement. The pulley on the crank and alternator fit okay, it's just the ps pump pulley won't line up. Based on the pics I've seen on Ebay I think I have both types of pump. The one on the 63 was a Saginaw type and the one on the truck is Thompson type. Fought with the thing for the second day of almost 100 degree heat so I'm really hoping for "throw money at something that will work and be easy."

I just use washers to shim up the brackets. Even how the pump mounts to the brackets can be shimmed up with washers. Not the prettiest but it works! Depending on the distances you may need longer bolts in some places.

I feel as long as the belts stay on and do not slip its good enough, lol.

Now if my car was ever judge, it come in last place, ha ha.

As for the heat, I was working in mid 90 degree heat in a wet bathing suit, lol. Have a swimming pool in the backyard and would like work for 45 mins, go back in jump in the pool for 10 mins and go back in the garage 5 mins later. If I ever had to wear a shop uniform I would melt away!

I'll post a pic tomorrow, it's dark here now. The pump off the 63 looked totally wrong so we are trying to put in the pump from the 86 truck. Problem is when I bought the 340, it was just the engine and nothing else so I'm trying to work with what I have. I went with the Mopar Performance alum. water pump cause that was all that came up when I searched for a fit on Summit using the 340 engine. I'm not opposed to buying a new ps pump but both the ones I have do function just having trouble with the fit. I didn't realize changing pulleys would be a possible requirement. The pulley on the crank and alternator fit okay, it's just the ps pump pulley won't line up. Based on the pics I've seen on Ebay I think I have both types of pump. The one on the 63 was a Saginaw type and the one on the truck is Thompson type. Fought with the thing for the second day of almost 100 degree heat so I'm really hoping for "throw money at something that will work and be easy."

yea definatley get pics for use to see. sounds like you just have a mis matched set of brackets and pulleys. shouldn't be hard to figure out once we see exactly what you are trying to use. sure the 63 pump is a saginaw? that doesn't sound right. i thought they used the federal pumps?

Man, you still have us in suspence from the engine thread you started!!!!!!!! What did you get figured out on that problem????????

I'm going through the exact issue. Got a PS that was resealed and all painted up nice. Now the pulleys don't line up on my 340 using 66 brackets and water pump and crank pulley. The 66 and earlier used the federal/TRW type pumps. You can use the pump you have and just swap pulleys. Problem is the pulley offset (dish). I ran into a problem with the shaft being a different diameter and could not press on my original 66 pulley. Now I'm getting a reman 66 PS pump from NAPA.

Seeing pictures will help. If it's only 1/16 to 1/8 inches off. I'd use spacers for now.

Usually you'll need a matched set of pulleys and brackets off the same engine. Mixing and matching from several different years just doesn't work. I definately don't recommend any shimming with washers....that's just asking for a broken pulley. With 4different pumps, various engine sizes, A/C and no A/C, cast iron and aluminum water pumps, there are dozens of combinations. If you have a '68 engine with the '70 up water pump/timing cover, you've already got problems to overcome. What is the engine in? Which radiator are you using?

all engine problems solved. ran car last week (still in the driveway) but no more overheating. the p/s pulley is outward off. i thought about possible shim for the water pump fan pulley but crank lines up good with it. the p/s pump needs to come inward 1/16 - 1/8 inch. i may not have a problem with a different p/s pulley but....from what? we'll get pictures

The crank pulley you do not want to shim up at all. Best it sits flush with the damper. Its a tight fit for a reason. Now for the water pump pulley I used Chevy spacers. They come 1/8 inch thick. I had to modified them a bit. I forget how but it was easy.

To move the power steering pulley back I just did mine and had to shim the pump up from the brackets. Wasn't too easy with it all hook up. I ended up cutting washers in half and slipping them in between the loosen bolts. Once tighten they aren't going anywhere. I looked again its it doesn't look too bad. Who looks way down there anyhow, lol

All but the last two are of the current ps pump we're trying to fit in and the engine setup. The last two are of the older ps pump (from the 63 Dodge.)

power steering 001.jpg

power steering 002.jpg

power steering 003.jpg

power steering 004.jpg

power steering 005.jpg

power steering 006.jpg

power steering 007.jpg

power steering 008.jpg

power steering 009.jpg

you have the wrong pulleys on the car for that saginaw pump. you have a 70-up water pump on it also.. need to change over to 70-up non a/c small block pulleys, alt brackets and ps bracket, and things should line up. you also need the little triangle looking bracket that goes on those lower timing cover bolts on the drivers side..

your rear belt should go around the crank (rear groove), water pump and the rear groove on the alt. ( if its a dual groove)

the front belt should go on the front groove of the crank pulley and to the PS pump and thats it... :)

DSC02495.jpg

DSC02496.jpg

DSC02500.jpg

DSC02501.jpg

you have the wrong pulleys on the car for that saginaw pump. you have a 70-up water pump on it also.. need to change over to 70-up non a/c small block pulleys, alt brackets and ps bracket, and things should line up. you also need the little triangle looking bracket that goes on those lower timing cover bolts on the drivers side..
I agree. I'd get rid of that flex fan and X shaped spacer too. Those allow metal fatigue and will grenade eventually. What's the story on that drivers side upper bracket that you have the ground cable hooked to? Looks unnecessary to me....

Have everything ordered (new pulleys) alt & ps brackets. Hopefully this weekend we'll be able to try to get this thing done. It is supposed to hit 100 degrees on Saturday though so unless we start at the butt crack of dawn, it may not get done. It will be unbearable working on it in the afternoon.

Thanks for the suggestions/pictures.

Thanks to all who commented.

AN UPDATE:

Big thanks to all who posted. Got everthing on & hooked up and it's all good! :cheers:

On to the next thing...interior. :-(

-
Back