Pro Touring 10K

-
Full tubs would kill the rear seat. So I'm not sure I want to go that way. I think I will drop down to a 26/12 I also scored a set of wheels today. Trading some work. U

Full tubs would kill the rear seat. So I'm not sure I want to go that way. I think I will drop down to a 26/12 I also scored a set of wheels today. Trading some work. U

Not true..... in my case I had a custom set of wheel tubs with the same radius ( I believe there 32"total) I'll have to notch the seat frame (already done)for this to work, but I only had to notch about 3" each side and nothing on the back edge.

Good to know. Most of the full tubs we install in the shopare for race car applications and guess we never really tried to get a back seat back in one.
Thanks Tim
Not true..... in my case I had a custom set of wheel tubs with the same radius ( I believe there 32"total) I'll have to notch the seat frame (already done)for this to work, but I only had to notch about 3" each side and nothing on the back edge.

It is surprising to me how few selections there are for a wide tire in a 27"+ diameter. I searched high and low for a 28" diameter tire that was about 12" wide. The only choices you have are a drag radial which is not exactly what I had in mind. I even contacted BFG to inquire about tires in that size (and I received no help ) and apparently the size I did end up with (285-40-18 = 27" x 11.2") has been discontinued. Don't 60's & 70's muscle cars need a taller wide tire?

It is surprising to me how few selections there are for a wide tire in a 27"+ diameter. I searched high and low for a 28" diameter tire that was about 12" wide. The only choices you have are a drag radial which is not exactly what I had in mind. I even contacted BFG to inquire about tires in that size (and I received no help ) and apparently the size I did end up with (285-40-18 = 27" x 11.2") has been discontinued. Don't 60's & 70's muscle cars need a taller wide tire?

I always thought a beefy tire was a cooler look on an old car. Crap, they disco'd that 285? That was one of my fave choices.

I agree 27-28 tall tires that are wide are far and few between. That seems to be the problem I'm facing right now. The other set of Mickey Thompsoms I ordered this morning are 26x12x18 Overall Diamater shows 26.4. So not as tall as I would like. We will see how they look tomorrow.

I agree 27-28 tall tires that are wide are far and few between. That seems to be the problem I'm facing right now. The other set of Mickey Thompsoms I ordered this morning are 26x12x18 Overall Diamater shows 26.4. So not as tall as I would like. We will see how they look tomorrow.

Mickey does make a 28 x 12 x 18 sportsman radial, not a bad choice....

OK guys need you 2 cents worth on this. I have a donor car I can buy for 300/400 bucks. An X racer. I went to look at it last night. Pretty rough. It's a 1973-74 Duster. It does have the disc brake set up and a V8 K member. And the drop center link. All to convert my car to Large bolt pattern and disc. The meaning of fresh must have different meaning to this guy than myself. Because if he meant freshly removed from the barn then he would be correct. The Ford 9" needs work at best. the doors and fenders are in decent shape and the rest is pretty rusty. no interior to speak of. Is it worth the 300/400 for the parts I could use? would try and sell off the rest. Yes I could just order what ever I needed for this build, But I'm sticking with the 10K theme as close as I can.
Thoughts?

OK guys need you 2 cents worth on this. I have a donor car I can buy for 300/400 bucks. An X racer. I went to look at it last night. Pretty rough. It's a 1973-74 Duster. It does have the disc brake set up and a V8 K member. And the drop center link. All to convert my car to Large bolt pattern and disc. The meaning of fresh must have different meaning to this guy than myself. Because if he meant freshly removed from the barn then he would be correct. The Ford 9" needs work at best. the doors and fenders are in decent shape and the rest is pretty rusty. no interior to speak of. Is it worth the 300/400 for the parts I could use? would try and sell off the rest. Yes I could just order what ever I needed for this build, But I'm sticking with the 10K theme as close as I can.
Thoughts?
How much is your time worth?

The brakes and the rear will work for you, but the K-frame and all that is 67 up for interchange. (Not gospel, but I'm pretty sure).

Thanks for the info, I will be selling off what I don't need So if the K frame won't work then It will be for sale along with anything else I can salvage and resale.Picking up the car this weekend,
The brakes and the rear will work for you, but the K-frame and all that is 67 up for interchange. (Not gospel, but I'm pretty sure).

Not much to update right now as I'm collecting some parts. The 74 Duster I bought as a parts car is here. I will be using the front brakes and rearend from the car. I have pictures of the car in the parts cars for sale section and will be parting the rrest of it out. The wheels are on order. 12 weeks out. But on order. Still up in the air on tires for the rear. Have the new Mickey Thompsons setting in the shop. But haven't had time to slide them under the car and see I like them or not. I did score a 318 with a 727 trans that is in good running order for 200 buck. Ran across a article in Popular Hot Rodding with a build I think I will follow there plan for a proven 425HP street engine. Stopped by the paint store and checked out the original color chip. Medium Green Poly. I think I will do a spray out of the original color in a Base clear and see if how it looks in a modern paint. The passenger side quarter trim has a really bad scratch in it. So I found a good replacement piece. So now I can start taking the trim off and start to rebuff all the trim.

I saw that '74 in the "parts for sale" thread....man you get all the cherriies.....save some for us other guys will ya'.....and don't even bring up that "snoozes/looses" stuff

Denny

LOL The Duster is really rough.
I saw that '74 in the "parts for sale" thread....man you get all the cherriies.....save some for us other guys will ya'.....and don't even bring up that "snoozes/looses" stuff

Denny

Well finally got the front brakes sorted out. Heres the list of parts I will be using.
1974 Disc brake spindles
1979 Cordoba 12" rotors. stock disc were 10.98
AR Engineering conversion caliper brakets.
Wilwood Dyna lite calipers.
And for the front end.
Firm Feel Inc. 1.12 T bars
And pretty much all there other components.
So far cost. Bought the Duster parts car for 300.
Sold 450.00 worth f parts from it. Should net about another 350.00 from parts on the car. so 500 to the good so far.
Stopped my wheel order, Rushforth just pulled all there dealers. So no since in me running there wheels. So looking at other options.
Have decided to paint the car and original white with the Aqua interior.
Bought a 317 and 727 Trans that I will be folling a build from Popular hot rodding. on the 318. Turned out 415 HP on the cheap.

http://www.popularhotrodding.com/enginemasters/articles/mopar/0667em_mopar_318_engine/viewall.html

So far so good with the budget.
Will start taking the car apart for paint. Will be posting Pic's as I go.
Tim

Just one more thing to add. A coupe of weeks ago the Goodguys show was here in Indy, I was lucky enough to take a ride in the autocross in The DSE Nova with Kyle Tucker at the wheel. That was a blast.
So thats my goal, Build a PT car on the cheap and run the snot out of it on the autocross.
Heres a link to the run
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=duNLhXUo1No"]Indy Goodguys Autocross - Detroit Speed 1963 Nova.MP4 - YouTube[/ame]

OK heres a brief update. As I'm trying to get everything sorted out on the car before just jumping in and making costly mistakes. The biggest hold up is wheel fitment without breaking the budget. So here is what I have desided. Car color 65 off white,Interior color stock 65 Aqua, Matte black hood with some sort of scoop. Looking at a Hemi shaker set up. Wheels, After talking with Steve(Autoxcuda) Here is what I'm going with. See picture. Rears 18x9.5 with Mickey Thompson 26x12s in the rear and 225x40s up front with a 18x8. Ok enough research. Lets get to the build. Stay tuned.

View attachment Circuit_Black-500.jpg

I am hearing from the locals here that the cops are cracking down on DOT drag radials and the judges are going along with it. These guys are desperate for moolah, so anyhosw a word to the wise... be sure the local gendarms are not doing the same there.

Nice project.

-
Back