Problems with the Dart Continue

-

Drache

1971 Dodge Dart Swinger
Reaction score
So as some might remember, just this week I finally got my Dart back on the road after having the rear end replaced.

The day I picked up the car I noticed that when I put the brakes on the car pulls to the right. Also there was a shimmy that wasn't there before. I thought it was one of the rear tires out of balance.

Went on a long cruise today and when driving, the shimmy was so bad that the steering wheel was bouncing left and right and when driving slowly, you could actually see the entire car rocking back and forth.

Sounds like you have a tread separation. Jack the front end up and spin the tires. I bet one of them is not round anymore. Pretty common issue. How old are the tires on the car?

when driving slowly, you could actually see the entire car rocking back and forth.

I'd be under there checking everything that moves and some things that don't. Could be a tire I guess, but a really bad one

Um, lug nuts tight? Couple of stripped left handers, maybe?

Sounds like you have a tread separation. Jack the front end up and spin the tires. I bet one of them is not round anymore. Pretty common issue. How old are the tires on the car?

Yep, I agree, I have had that exact thing myself. As for the pulling under braking - could be the brakes were not bled properly, or the rears are not adjusted properly.

Car is at a friend's place as I opted to walk home instead. So after suggestions on multiple websites:

1) Check lug nuts
2) Jack each tire up and spin it looking for tread separation or a flat spot
3) Jack up rear end and check that rear end was bolted down tightly and properly

75 ft-lbs on the u bolts. and i vote tire separation, been there done that...

I just remembered this....

I remember my dad working on his car once. His beater car developed a nasty shimmy and he thought it was a U-Joint or something like that. He asked me to take off his front tires and when I went to undo the the front right lug nuts, three of the five fell off as soon as I touched them. The other two were almost about to fall off.

The only mistake I have EVER seen my dad make when wrenching on a car.

idler arm? that's how my 67 acted when the idler arm was bad.

If the wheels on your car are the ones in the picture, they are not HUBcentric. They rely on the lug nuts to center the wheel.
"What IF" the guy improperly cranked down the lug nuts and bent the mounting surface of the wheel?

75 ft-lbs on the u bolts. and i vote tire separation, been there done that...

What U bolts? The rear axle retaining U bolts? Wrong answer. The correct spec for those is 45 LB FT.

Attachments

• 69torque.jpg
    73 KB · Views: 223
  • 72torque.jpg
    41.9 KB · Views: 236
If the wheels on your car are the ones in the picture, they are not HUBcentric. They rely on the lug nuts to center the wheel.
"What IF" the guy improperly cranked down the lug nuts and bent the mounting surface of the wheel?

I agree, I have had aftermarket, non hubcentric wheels do this before if you didn't torque them carefully. And ABSOLUTELY DO NOT use unilug wheels.

did they shorten your driveshaft by any chance on the rear end swap?

Part yard rears often come from wrecked cars and can have a bent axle flange.
That would cause the brake problem too since that drum would run out of round.

-
Back