ProComp/Speedmaster aluminum heads

-
It pretty much is.. almost all of the wiring unplugged and I'll probably be redoing some of that as well making sure it all plugs in and unplugs.. both of the nitrous plugs unplugged. The coil unplugged, the distributor unplugged, the fuel pump wires unplug, the fan wires unplugged, and the 12 volt feed for the electric choke unplugged which I don't use...
Once I took the fuel line off and the throttle cable I just disconnected the four tubes for the nitrous and the entire top came off...
I'll be making some improvements on the way back together. It looks like I could use a new router and cap I don't think about some new wires as well... I'm considering a new timing chain but I don't want to take that damn cover off... It seems like I was getting a bit of a turn on the main pulley and it wasn't moving the cam or the distributor...

I know if you get 16 to 18 degrees of play with the stock plastic timing chain gear........you will be walking home soon..........ask me how i know.

Okay I just had one of those oh my God moments... I took the chain that I usually have hooked around the k member and through the motor mount bracket on the driver side. Then I got my 3/4 inch socket ready to pull out the driver side motor mount nut and there was nothing there!? I felt for it and it was down in the little pocket?... I think to myself okay that was close then I go over to the passenger side and there is no motor mount nut on or to be found....:BangHead:..
B9909D2D-106A-4A23-9C05-3386985334E3.jpeg

Last edited:
Okay I just had one of those oh my God moments... I took the chain that I usually have hooked around the k member and through the motor mount bracket on the driver side. Then I got my 3/4 inch socket ready to pull out the driver side motor mount bolt and there was nothing there!? I felt for it and it was down in the little pocket?... I think to myself okay that was close then I go over to the passenger side and there is no motor mount bolt on or to be found....:BangHead:..
View attachment 1715534350
now you know what I'm saying about bad omen. lol it's always a plus to have the motor bolted in. lol

Nice, what is the timeline for getting it back together.
I know you don't rush, just asking.
I'm excited to hear what the *** dyno says about any performance gain with the speedmasters. :thumbsup:

Nice, what is the timeline for getting it back together.
I know you don't rush, just asking.
I'm excited to hear what the *** dyno says about any performance gain with the speedmasters. :thumbsup:
I would guess probably a couple weeks at least. I put four hours in yesterday and 8 today and everything is out. I got a bit of a mess to pick up but not too bad really. I'm going to want to order a few things and clean things up really well before it goes back in. I don't like to do this every year so...

Ohhhh and psssssss psssssssssssss
The head is not what you are procrastinating on "Pssssss pssssssssssssssssss"
I've had mine for a month or two and it's rainy weather here in Oregon in the spring. There's no tracks open. What about your Pittsburgh? He's had his for over four years and hasn't even put it on his car...
What about the head that he ported and people were just commenting how amazed they were lol he just threw it on a shelf....lol...
Might not have turned out so well with no motor mount nuts on the mounts and one chain holding the whole operation down..
everybody looking for some results with the Speedmaster heads and all I get is a couple naysayers...:rolleyes:...

Last edited:
Sometimes the "Truth Holder" just need to take the Beer Goggles off, and see the world :poke::popcorn:

I’m doing a service to you other guys that bought Speedmaster heads. On my shelf I will check them every month to make sure the aluminum isn’t disintegrating from the Kung Flu virus.

1268 post and you are just getting the heads on,,,,,dam...

stay off the computer and work on the car

1268 post and you are just getting the heads on,,,,,dam...

stay off the computer and work on the car
Looks like you get the old disagree too LOL I started the thread if you recall there and post one to see if these or even worth buying and now that they are I'm trying to take it full circle. this is for the common everyday guy that buys them on sale not for the big-time racer guys...

:rofl:

It took him two hours to unscrew all those clamps he had on the fuel system. Lol.
And finally my third disagree... I unscrewed all those clamps a couple months ago when you shamed me into "holy hose clamp" and I got all a n fittings for another hundred and fifty bucks damn you....

-
Back