Proform 850 dialing it in closer

-
Firebird could use some more shade and less Jr Dragster...lol
A bit slow getting cars down the track but otherwise good track .
I love Woodburn ! If your car is fast here it will scream at Woodburn !
No shade at Woodburn... But you could loose a shoe on the starting line.. it's sticky...

No shade at Woodburn... But you could loose a shoe on the starting line.. it's sticky...

Yup. That place will bake your arse. If they actually prep Portland it’s quicker. And the DA is better, especially in the spring and the fall. Goes mine shaft quite a bit and you can make some hero runs.

well i got my data logger to work. o2 and rpm.
Have no clue how to post it up here in a proper format.
Do they make a TPS that hooks to a Holley carb????
Map sensor? where would i install that.
Are you using LogWorks software to read the datalog?
LW can only save in file formats such its own and csv (comma limited text file that can be imported into most spread sheets).
If you can display the log graphicly in logworks, then use a screen capture to save and share it.
Most DOS and windows operating systems have some sort of screen capture. The paste to a graphics program and save and name it as a jpg or png or gif.

On my newer computers (past 10 years) I've mostly used the freeware IRFAN View for screen capture and also marking up. It has some bulk file options which work but requires time to figure out. I use XnView (also free) and MS Paint but not so much for what we're discussing.

What is the horizontal axis? Time every x seconds I assume?
upload_2020-7-2_7-17-29.png

And where is the shift?
If its over your finger then the trend is different than if its in the middle.
The fact that its trending lean at the top (12ish to 12.9) suggests too much air correction.
I'm sure you know what I really think this shows.

Thanks for posting.
This graph is from taking the slo mo go pro reading of o2 screen.

So every time the o2 would change to a different number, i would make a mark in the next square. Time is not accurate, as some times, the numbers would hold for a moment and other times it would change quickly. So some of them peeks and valleys probably should have been flat spots.

In the 2nt run, in red, when i just touch the rev limiter and it when to 14.0 as i shifted. other then that time stamps are hard to find.

Is that a typical o2 reading, jumping around like that?
Watching the video in real time, it don't seam so bad but when you make a graph like i did.........well it look crazy.

Is that a typical o2 reading, jumping around like that?
The Innovate stuff reacts quickly. See what Mderoy can offer from his videos.
I never look at the logger at WOT except when on a dyno. Even then its just a glance as I'm focused on the run and the tach.

Screenshot overlaying two runs, vacuum secondary. You can see some big jumps within the trends. Prob represents cylinder to cylinder differences or ?
upload_2020-7-2_8-34-27.png

upload_2020-7-2_8-34-50.png

This a carb which has some problems with the secondaries. I confirmed that later by disconnecting them completely and the 3rd gear AFR became flat.
upload_2020-7-2_8-44-15.png

Good point!
this o2 is reading 4 cyl not just one.

I have only fixed/proven the data logging in my garage.
will try and get out next week and get a full pull reading.

I feel that leaning out the MAB is a good idea as well. But need some time line data before i make that jump.

I'm sure you know what I really think this shows.
My gut is its "over emulsified" like most of the current stuff on the market.
Maybe you already did this. But I'd start with reducing all 4 main circuits to 2 e-holes of .028" diameter or less. [ Or three much smaller. Mark Whitner (Jmarkaudio) has mentioned some ball park starting points for three e-holes. We could dig up one of those posts with a search if you want to try three.]
I'd also make a pass without the secondaries, or at minimum, next time jets are reduced, reduce only the secondaries or only the primaries.

Not everyone likes making a run without the secondaries, but for a guy like me without much experience its a useful technique. I wouldn't make the final tune based on it because a restricted carb is going to distribute fuel differently (prob better), but it I think it saves time by logging a couple passes on primaries only.

After determining the primaries delivered pretty flat AFR, then I started experimenting with the secondaries. The fact the primaries looked rich wasn't important. That I can test at the track. Getting the curve flat I prefer to do on the dyno if I can. In your situation the track is prob just as convenient.
upload_2020-7-2_16-44-39.png

I've used an LM2 a few times. Enough I may be able to help with downloading and saving logs from the SD card. I use LW 3.01 and Programmer 3.25 for reasons I don't recall at the moment.

Last edited:
I need to make a couple pass, logged before i do anything, i think.
could sure us your help being able to post my results.
If i saved my garage log to a "csv" i can open it up in Excel, as a spread sheet but have no clue how to get It back to a graph................. like above
lets see if this works. had to change it from csv file to PDF.....
I revved it in neutral until the the gas flowing was high enough to start reading the sensor properly.

Attachments

• 06292003-Session-csv.pdf
    338.3 KB · Views: 156
  • 06292003-Session-csv.pdf
    338.3 KB · Views: 117
HMMMmm my have figured out a way to display
Hmm guess not. Thought i could use my snipping tools but this sight won't except it in that format either.

You need to log more than just O2's to really understand whats going on.

upload_2020-7-3_12-43-42.png

2 x 02's
RPM
Vacuum
Fuel Pressure
G's

And throttle position, which I know you already have coming. I just wanted to add that in so no one reading this misses it.

Yeah that's on the list as is tail shaft rpm. My data logger has told me when the carb wasn't opening fully and when my alternator was on the way out.

You need to log more than just O2's to really understand whats going on.

View attachment 1715555242

2 x 02's
RPM
Vacuum
Fuel Pressure
G's

And throttle position, which I know you already have coming. I just wanted to add that in so no one reading this misses it.

I only have one o2 Chanel on this unit(less expensive unit) and don't have the money to buy all of them sensors
will have to be happy with 3 Chanel's

Left Bank o2, TPS and RPM.
Just when threw an extensive testing of my fuel pressure/volume, and had a vacuum gauge taped to my windshield,.....but would be nice. Gs gauge would be super Cool........
all of these require a sensor..........the 80 dollar tps broke the bank. Vary limited funds these days

I thing if i buy another sensor it will be drive shaft rpm.

Last edited:
I only have one o2 Chanel on this unit(less expensive unit) and don't have the money to buy all of them sensors

Just when threw an extensive testing of my fuel pressure/volume, and had a vacuum gauge taped to my windshield,.....but would be nice. Gs gauge would be super Cool........
all of these require a sensor..........the 80 dollar tps broke the bank. Vary limited funds these days

How much was that Innovate? I’m looking at an RPM data logger or one other brand...can’t think of the name of that one.

It’s hard to tune the clutch without a data logger, so I need to get one this winter and get it installed.

How much was that Innovate? I’m looking at an RPM data logger or one other brand...can’t think of the name of that one.

It’s hard to tune the clutch without a data logger, so I need to get one this winter and get it installed.

The RPM looks to be a good unit with good sample rate and expandability. The Innovate stuff is the best bang for buck but what lets it down is the sample rate if you want to use it for suspension work you'll need a much higher sample rate than 12 samples per second. The RPM is 100 samples per second and that's a big difference.

Check out Motorsport Innovations he's very reasonable and offers great pricing.
MSI Home

I got my innovate set up from him when he was still selling that stuff.

Last edited:

Try and find an old DL-32. They are no longer made but should be out there especially if some one is up grading to an RPM or Racepack.

Today is the day to see if my data logger will actually log data:)

Well it's fighting me!
before i stopped the recording o2 was stuck at 11.5 rev up or down nothing happen.
o2 stopped reading..........have another one to install
Computer said that it couldn't read memory card removed and installed another port. Read but recorded Nothing as in 0 Data GRRRR
reinstalled back into data logger, hit record, o2 started reading again. revved it up several time. remove memory card. computer reconsidered and show the recording..............

Any way just a little venting while exh is cooling so i can replace and calibrate new o2 sensor.

Last edited:
Frustration
Replace and re-calibrated a new o2 sensor and it still locks up or freezes up.
Good news the Data logger is logging..............
Bad new is the o2 just stops sending info, turn it off and back one(shut of car and re start) and it start working again. putting around and it works just fine.........but, at the end of a 1/8 mile pull it lock up. Pull around, re set and take off again and it quits reading before i can shift into 2nt gear.
Let it cool and make one last stomp only leaving in 2nt gear because i have to feather it all the way thru first gear any ways.
Think i got some good data on that on.

Family and the 4 of July, probably won't get time to look at it, let alone figure out how to post a graph of it.

Try and find an old DL-32. They are no longer made but should be out there especially if some one is up grading to an RPM or Racepack.
Pretty sure that's what Tuner uses.

Depending on that you're doing MAP or TPS may be enough with O2 and RPM.
Of course having both would be great.
Doubt I'm going to get TPS this season. I've learned to work with MAP/VAC and notes...
Driveshaft sensor - that would be cool. Hysteric might remember when "Dr Mike" was developing that concept I think it was with strain gages to convert to HP and torque. This was on the old Innovate forum. I think Dr Mike occassionally posts on YB or ST. Ask Tuner if he knows more about this.

Cudafever. Sorry I didn't get any notifications that there were new posts on this thread. Weird but not really surprising.
There's probably some cheap junkyard MAP that can be adapted. The LMA-3 (Auxbox) came with MAP and accellerometers built in so I didn't have to get into learning that.

If i saved my garage log to a "csv" i can open it up in Excel, as a spread sheet but have no clue how to get It back to a graph................. like above
I use Excel 5.0 and the slightly newer version in MS Office 95.
Once the individual columns properly seperated, select the ones of interest. Time should be the leftmost column. Its easier if its there.
Then click on Chart Wizard. I think the best will be to use Scatter chart, but since the data is collected at a consistant rate, the line graphs should work as well.

HMMMmm my have figured out a way to display
Hmm guess not. Thought i could use my snipping tools but this sight won't except it in that format either.
Is it not showing a graph in Logworks ?
Or is it that you get it displayed, but the snipping tool doesn't let you do a direct cut and past to FABO?
If its the latter, paste the snip to a program that will let you save it as a graphic. I like PNG for drawings, but jpg, gif, and bmp work too.

Replace and re-calibrated a new o2 sensor and it still locks up or freezes up.
Good news the Data logger is logging..............
Bad new is the o2 just stops sending info, turn it off and back one(shut of car and re start) and it start working again.
I had some problems like this with my LM2. Lemme see if I can look back and jog my memory on the issue.

Oh yes! I do remember. Innovate said it was power supply related. My conclusion was that they were probably right, it was their power plug's internals.
upload_2020-7-4_12-36-6.png

Minimal wire contact (not run throughholes) and looked cold to me.
upload_2020-7-4_12-41-1.png

Desoldered and resoldered these connections.
upload_2020-7-4_12-44-4.png

-
Back