Project- Bills Buggy

-
Little update... Got all the dots reconnected tonight. Got my now fixed rear end housing back, and Mr B was kind enough to put it in and get my 3:91 gears in as well (it's awesome having great friends). With any luck I'll be doing smokey burnouts this weekend :burnout:

Attachments

• image.jpg
    40.9 KB · Views: 261
lets try this again with the pic right side up LOL

Attachments

• rear.jpg
    67.5 KB · Views: 277
Hey Bill, I still havent read thru this entire thread, but I had to chk here and see whats up...congrats, the new gear set is gonna be fun! Congrats!

Hey Bill, I still havent read thru this entire thread, but I had to chk here and see whats up...congrats, the new gear set is gonna be fun! Congrats!

Thank ya sir! I cant wait to see how much spunkier the buggy is with the 3:91's. It ought to be a blast...

Lookin' forward to seeing ya out at cruise night in Irwin.

Trust me my friend, I am itching to go to Hills... lol

Well... She's all back together, on the ground, and fixed... But not fixed... She goes forward like a raped date...shifts through all forward gears like she should... Reverse, well, not so much lol.. It tries go go in.. But it's like a stick SLOWLY letting out the clutch..the rpms have to be up pretty good to even get her to move backwards... So, the theory is that the reverse band is out of adjustment.. I don't know.. I'm frustrated.. That much I do know..

Also she's leaking tranny fluid (of course) and the timing needs backed off... But, I did get to drive her. What a wild difference the 3:91's made.. She burns the tires off with ease (as me. B can attest to)... So, it wasn't all bad... But I'm obviously not done fixing the buggy...

Bill, I know next to nothing bout transmissions, but pretty sure the rev/low band adjustment is done without having to drop the pan. I believe on drivers side near the front.

Nope,thats the high-band for 3. You need to drop the pan to adjust the reverse band. One easy way to check if this is the issue, is to check if the motor brakes in 1st. Take it for a spin, set the shifter in low/1, and rev it then let of the pedal, and if the engine drops to idle, the low reverse band is not clamping:)

Nope,thats the high-band for 3. You need to drop the pan to adjust the reverse band. One easy way to check if this is the issue, is to check if the motor brakes in 1st. Take it for a spin, set the shifter in low/1, and rev it then let of the pedal, and if the engine drops to idle, the low reverse band is not clamping:)

I'm confused though... I have full manual shift valve body in the tranny. It goes right into low and pulls out like normal.. But reverse doesn't go right in. You have to rev it hard to get it to move. So rev and low both use the same band? And do you have to drop the valve body out as well to adjust the rev band?

Also I'm not I understanding what you mean by checking to see if the motor brakes in 1st

Sorry for my bad english;-) what i mean with engine break is that when you select low(1) or reverse, the reverse band is engaged. This is locking the sprag or free-wheel in the trans. This will cause the engine to "hang" in the gear if you let of the gas after reving it in 1. This will not happen if you put it in D(drive). In d, the trans does not apply the reverseband,and thus allow the sprag to free out and the engine falls to idle when you let of. Cruising -you give some throttle and let of the pedal, the engine drops to idle,but the car is rolling as fast as you revd it.
This is the reason they say not to do burnout in D. The sprag is not happy to hold alot of power itself...(this is auto valvebodies only)-but i guess you have driven one;-)

You have manual valvebody, still you should feel the engine "hanging" in 1 gear.
Was this understandable??::read2:

Upper right is the adjusting screw. 1-2 turns out from tight.
Not my picture, stole it from the web....
Valvebody.jpg

That did indeed make a bit more sense to me... Thanks for the info

So tonight we played around with the buggy some more.. Front tranny line was leaking so I tightened that up, we then set the timing (which was way off) decided to take it for fuel.. She runs like a raped date for sure.. Had her sideways several times.. Still not sure what's wrong with reverse.. It seemed to take less rpms to get her to back up tonight, but something obviously still isn't right (I will point out this tranny sat dry for many years) so... I'm gonna send the tranny I broke out to be completely torn down and rebuilt... In the meantime I'm gonna drive the buggy the way she is and see how it goes... Let the fun begin

Hey Bill, you've done a great job documenting here. Maybe throw up a thread in the trans section?? It might be an easy fix, without having to rebuild your other trans.
No offense to Norway-dart, Im not up on trans stuff.

Hey Bill, you've done a great job documenting here. Maybe throw up a thread in the trans section?? It might be an easy fix, without having to rebuild your other trans.
No offense to Norway-dart, Im not up on trans stuff.

I have a friend who works on tranny's so I'm gonna talk to him about what this tranny is doing.. He'll also be the one doing the rebuild on the old one

So.. In other news, I am trying to figure out if I feel like putting the cover over the quarter stick.. i bought the seperate cover when I got the quarter stick.. The stick has been in since the end of last season.. To me it looks more hot rod to have the shifter all exposed... Any opinions either way?

hay Bill I would leave it off but that's just me

As you know thats the way I am leaning as well... lol Just figured Id see if I could gather some more opinions (Im beginning to think no one follows the thread anymore LOL)

Still lurking I'm always here....just don't know what your talking about...went back a couple pages couldn't find anything and just left it at that....Great job so fer keep it up!!! :)

Still lurking I'm always here....just don't know what your talking about...went back a couple pages couldn't find anything and just left it at that....Great job so fer keep it up!!! :)

I put a Hurst Quarter Stick in the Dart at the end of last season.. You have to buy the cover for it seperately which I did.. But the day the stick went in was the day we were all going to the track.. So it was a rush to get it in, setup and working properly, and we just never got the cover on.. Personally I like the way it looks without the cover.. Was just looking for what other peoples preferences and opinions were... (i will try to get some pics this weekend to illustrate what im talking about)

Thanks for still lurking in my thread.. Feel free to comment, stop and say hi, or strike up conversation here..

I would put the cover on it, but that's just me. If you think it looks cool without it, nothing wrong with that either.

I would put the cover on it, but that's just me. If you think it looks cool without it, nothing wrong with that either.

I appreciate the input my friend.. Glad to see your still following along as well.. How have ya been?

Hey Bill, long time no see. Leave the cover off for the look you like. Just keep the gum wrappers out of the shifting mechanism! I had the same reverse problem you have now. I had no adjustment left in the reverse band and had to get the trans rebuilt. Hopefully yours just needs adjusted. Hope to see you out and about sometime soon.

-
Back