Project- Bills Buggy

-
Love your dart, an inspiring project, glad you kept it a '69. Its nice to see your family is behind your and involved. I would keep working that fender before you lay down some paint otherwise it will be in the back of your mind bugging you.

Could you talk to a body man and maybe trade out some labor?? I'm an A/C man and thats usually a good trade. Sweeping, pushing snow?? Like you said when times get tight the tight get creative.

I just checked this thread out from begining to end and love it. Just like you, money and time are our issues, but we also have no garage/out-building to work in, so our progress is no where as in depth as yours. You can check out our slow progress on our father/son project at; http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=44709. Cant wait to buy my own home with an out-building to work on the Dart with its donor/parts car sitting right next to it. We could have done so much more if we just had the enclosed, or even covered area!
Anyways, great work and keep it up, I look forward to watching your progress!

Wow.. A lot of activity in the buggy thread this week LOL .. I will respond to the latest batch of comments in a second, first I want to get in the past weeks progress.. We finished off the last of the sanding (for now... thank god) .. The weather was actually decent enough again, to make a stab at giving the garage one more good cleaning before we knuckle down for paint.. We had the drivers fender off the buggy for some minor work to the front edge of the drivers door, and hadnt rehung it for the final prime yet, but I took the car out anyways LOL .. kinda looked like a kid with a black eye, missing that fender.. but it felt so good to fire her up and move her.. I get such a rush when that car fires, I mean its just a stock 360, not some lumpy race motor, but it doesnt matter.. I hear that sound of the exhaust, and just picture myself going for a cruise.. it seems to really put my mind at ease...

Anyways, I know you have all seen the car in primer like 100 times now, but I am a car **** guy... so your gonna see it again LMAO .. Actually it was nice to see that passenger fender outside in natural light.. I think it looks pretty darn good, and we have decided for sure not to mess with it anymore.. then the sun came out one last time before we put her away... she looked good basking in the sun, even all tore apart and in primer.. To me its just a teaser for spring, when I will be taking pics like this with her sporting her new blue coat and sexy black tail stripe... for now, these are the last outdoor shots for this year...

Tomorrow night, we start masking her all up, later this week we get her in final prime, break her down, jam her.. and hopefully in a couple weeks (schedules, good health, and money in mind) she gets colorized lol... stay tuned gang, and thanks again to everyone who checks in, and comments.. it means alot...

Attachments

• outdoors.jpg
    114.5 KB · Views: 809
  • outdoors2.jpg
    145.5 KB · Views: 809
  • photo[1]outdoors3.jpg
    141.9 KB · Views: 809
  • photo[1]backin.jpg
    120.1 KB · Views: 810
Now to get to everyones comments... LOL ...

Hey Speed, Great job on the car looks like you are going through as much if not more work than I did. The car is looking great keep it up it will all be worth it in the end. I can't wait to see it painted.

Are you going with the vinyl top also? Glad to see B5 and Black color combo I haven't seen it on many cars.

Thanks, and I agree that in the end, everything we have done and gone through will be all worth it.. And trust me, I cant wait to see it painted either! LOL .. and yes I am going with the B5 blue and the black vinyl top..

Great work looks outstanding.

Thanks you.. I appreciate it...

Speed,
The problem is you need to know when it's as good as it gets. You can find the problems because you have been staring at every square inch of it for a long time. Ask someone who's not familiar with the car if they see anything wrong. If the whole package is right the small flaws disappear.

I totall agree.. I realize that since I am the one that sees it every step of the way, knows what I started with, and knows what its supposed to turn out like, I am going to spot flaws and problems as if theres a bright light directed right at them.. where most people might not ever notice them unless I actually pointed them out.. I am leaving her as is now.. it is what it is.. the bottom line is I am the one that has to be happy with it.. My parents always said, as long as you tried your hardest and did the best you could, thats all that counts.. I feel like I have, and I am proud of the buggy. and myself...

Love your dart, an inspiring project, glad you kept it a '69. Its nice to see your family is behind your and involved. I would keep working that fender before you lay down some paint otherwise it will be in the back of your mind bugging you.

Could you talk to a body man and maybe trade out some labor?? I'm an A/C man and thats usually a good trade. Sweeping, pushing snow?? Like you said when times get tight the tight get creative.

Thanks for the kind words, they mean a great deal to me.. and I love having my family involved in the project... as for the fender.. I am at piece with it.. trust me.. I know it isnt perfect.. but its the best we could do, and Im proud of that.. like I said, I will eventually find a better fender and change it.. for now I am happy with it as it is...

I just checked this thread out from begining to end and love it. Just like you, money and time are our issues, but we also have no garage/out-building to work in, so our progress is no where as in depth as yours. You can check out our slow progress on our father/son project at; http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=44709. Cant wait to buy my own home with an out-building to work on the Dart with its donor/parts car sitting right next to it. We could have done so much more if we just had the enclosed, or even covered area!
Anyways, great work and keep it up, I look forward to watching your progress!

Thanks for checking out my thread.. I really appreciate it.. I just went and checked yours out.. I only skimmed through it, but I intend to sit down and read it all the way through later this evening.. from what I saw though you have done an outstanding job thus far.. I cant imagine its always easy having no garage to work in.. doing it all outside.. thats mighty impressive.. and the fact that its a father/son project is just cool as can be... Thats something that will you will both be proud of, and later it will provide memories that you will both enjoy for the rest of your lives.. truly awesome.. I am gonna be watching your thread as well... cant wait to continue to watch your progress..

Wow.. A lot of activity in the buggy thread this week LOL .. I will respond to the latest batch of comments in a second, first I want to get in the past weeks progress.. We finished off the last of the sanding (for now... thank god) .. The weather was actually decent enough again, to make a stab at giving the garage one more good cleaning before we knuckle down for paint.. We had the drivers fender off the buggy for some minor work to the front edge of the drivers door, and hadnt rehung it for the final prime yet, but I took the car out anyways LOL .. kinda looked like a kid with a black eye, missing that fender.. but it felt so good to fire her up and move her.. I get such a rush when that car fires, I mean its just a stock 360, not some lumpy race motor, but it doesnt matter.. I hear that sound of the exhaust, and just picture myself going for a cruise.. it seems to really put my mind at ease...

Anyways, I know you have all seen the car in primer like 100 times now, but I am a car **** guy... so your gonna see it again LMAO .. Actually it was nice to see that passenger fender outside in natural light.. I think it looks pretty darn good, and we have decided for sure not to mess with it anymore.. then the sun came out one last time before we put her away... she looked good basking in the sun, even all tore apart and in primer.. To me its just a teaser for spring, when I will be taking pics like this with her sporting her new blue coat and sexy black tail stripe... for now, these are the last outdoor shots for this year...

Tomorrow night, we start masking her all up, later this week we get her in final prime, break her down, jam her.. and hopefully in a couple weeks (schedules, good health, and money in mind) she gets colorized lol... stay tuned gang, and thanks again to everyone who checks in, and comments.. it means alot...

Speed excellent work there after seeing how she was when you got her and all the progress you made. Now she is ready for paint. I am excited. :blob:

This is a big milestone for me.. and the buggy.. She is in final prime.. finally... outer body work is done.. I would post pics, but you've all seen her gray a few times now.. no need to bore you all with more gray shots LMAO .. I am holding off on pics til she starts to turn blue.. It means so much to me to be done with the body work..It has been a long year, replacing panels, patching, working, hammering, welding, mudding, and sanding, sanding, sanding LOL .. I am celebrating with a couple cold ones with my buds here in the garage, and wanted to make sure I share the news with m FABO family.. Stay tuned folks.. she'll be B5 very soon...

well... figured I would update the Buggy thread a little.. As usual, a bunch of other regular life issues put the project into limbo..had a holiday money crisis (as most of us do and did) .. then my buddy Bruce who is one the most important members of the project team, his dad passed away.. and family (no matter whos family on the team) is always WAY more important than the hot rod... we finally got back on it some this week.. I found a fender with better body lines than the one we worked on all those months.. down side is it has holes on the top, on the rail that bolts it to the inner, and the usual rot at the bottom (just below the pentastar) .. Bruce however told me that he could graft in the good, from the top and bottom of my other fender, and with only a minimal amount of mud, this fender in the long run will be way better than the other.. I am no fabricator, so this is all on him LOL .. I have heard plenty of stories about people making good panels out of 2 or 3 bad ones... So I will get pics as I can and keep you all up to date on how it goes.. wish me luck LOL

Sorry to hear about your friend send my Condolences. Glad to hear you are back at it.

Sorry to hear about your friend send my Condolences. Glad to hear you are back at it.

I will pass that along my friend.. thank you.. and yea I am pretty happy to be back at it.. slow progress is still progress right? LOL

It seems like forever since I have updated the buggy thread.. Honestly there isnt a ton of progress. This winter just isnt going as I had hoped. So many things I have planned have been derailed by other (sometimes very important) life issues... This past week being no differant. I have been battling a very nasty bout of pneumonia and pleurisy.. Today is the most human I have felt in the last 7 days, so I wanted to take a minute and update everyone on my current progress...

As I mentioned in my last update I scored a fender that had great body lines, and thats it... it had rot up top, both just forward of the antenna hole and further forward towards the nose.. also the bottom and brace were gone just below where the pentastar goes...

So.. We cut good stuff from the passenger fender that we worked on for months to put body lines back in it, (but never quite got it right, and I just couldnt let it go...) So, heres a couple pics of the fender with the patches all cut and welded in.. All the welds are ground down now, these pics show some ground some not... I got sick before I could take more pics...

Hopefully I will be able to get back at it this week, and start flinging a little mud and finish up this fender..

In other progress news, I got the trunk jam, underside of the trunk and both door jams cleaned, scuffed and ready for jamming... so hopefully soon there should be something on the buggy turining B5 blue... (at least thats the plan... lol)

Attachments

• newfender4.jpg
    75.4 KB · Views: 649
  • newfender3.jpg
    67.3 KB · Views: 637
  • newfender2.jpg
    65.7 KB · Views: 661
  • newfender.jpg
    77.6 KB · Views: 646
Oh... In case anyone was wondering why I would subject myself to even more work on a passenger side fender considering how much time went into the last one... well.. I as I said, though we got close and put crazy hours in, that other fender was hit real hard.. we never were able to get the body lines right.. I probably could've forced myself to live with it.. but I just knew that it would stand out like a blinding light to me, and even if no one else ever noticed it, it would just drive me nuts... the fender I got, I got for $30.. It was a deal I just couldnt pass up... $30 for good body lines was a no brainer for me.. sure its still going to be a lot of work, but in the end I know I am going to feel much better about this fender than the one I had before...

Just got home from my first swap meet of the year.. All Mopar swap meet at the Columbus Expo Center in Columbus Ohio... It was a cool swap meet. Lots of nice people there, and some cool finds.. Managed to get a good set of headlight bezels for the buggy (mine were slightly modified to work with the 68 fenders I used to have on the Dart), also got my trunk rubber (seal), and also new clips for my door rubbers.. My door rubbers are still good, but I broke a several clips getting them off the car lol... So all in all it was a good day... I almost thought I was finally going to wind up with the clip that goes inside the door to hold the remote mirrors control in place.. but no luck.. the guy that had them had sold his last one.. These stupid clips are hard to find LOL .. my search continues...

Just got home from my first swap meet of the year.. All Mopar swap meet at the Columbus Expo Center in Columbus Ohio... It was a cool swap meet. Lots of nice people there, and some cool finds.. Managed to get a good set of headlight bezels for the buggy (mine were slightly modified to work with the 68 fenders I used to have on the Dart), also got my trunk rubber (seal), and also new clips for my door rubbers.. My door rubbers are still good, but I broke a several clips getting them off the car lol... So all in all it was a good day... I almost thought I was finally going to wind up with the clip that goes inside the door to hold the remote mirrors control in place.. but no luck.. the guy that had them had sold his last one.. These stupid clips are hard to find LOL .. my search continues...

Wish i knew you were looking for the clips to hold the rubber door seals on. I bought a new set of them awhile back for my duster thinking I was going to reuse my old seals but with new clips. and I ended up finding a really good deal on new door seals for the duster that included clips..... so now I have a box of clips that I dont really need.

Wish i knew you were looking for the clips to hold the rubber door seals on. I bought a new set of them awhile back for my duster thinking I was going to reuse my old seals but with new clips. and I ended up finding a really good deal on new door seals for the duster that included clips..... so now I have a box of clips that I dont really need.

That figures LOL... just my luck. I thank ya for thinking of me though, next time I will definitley ask before I go buy stuff.. You wouldnt happen to have that stupid metal clip that holds the remote mirror control to the inside of the door would ya? lol

not that im aware of. do you have a picture of one though?. I have a drawer full of metal clips I can look through if i know what im looking for.

not that im aware of. do you have a picture of one though?. I have a drawer full of metal clips I can look through if i know what im looking for.

actually I dont have a pic of the clip in question...I have only seen one once, but I will do my best to find a pic for you. stay tuned lol

Progress is slow but steady... Got the jams all primed, and also got the bodywork done on the new passenger side fender project.. considering what all had to be done to it, I think it turned out pretty darn nice... what do you guys think? With any luck the jams will be painted within a week... finally.. I will be seeing blue paint on the Buggy... :cheers:

Attachments

• 3rdfender4.jpg
    82.9 KB · Views: 555
  • 3rdfender3.jpg
    72.7 KB · Views: 558
  • 3rdfender2.jpg
    65 KB · Views: 542
  • 3rdfender.jpg
    71.1 KB · Views: 534
Fender looks great. I had to fix my drivers side bout the same place. Did you ever find that clip for mirror? If not PM me your address. I have one and will send it your way.

-
Back