Project- Bills Buggy

-
Wow... I hadnt realized how long it had been since I had updated the buggy thread... Honestly there hasnt been anything to update.. do to money and time issues (mostly money) work kinda came to a hault. However the last week I have been getting back at it some.. I had a pretty bad antifreeze leak going on, so I fixed that.. uncovered the car from its first round of priming and blocking.. Now I got to work remasking the car for the next round of body work and primer.. getting closer to paint.. thank god LOL .. I decided to post a couple fun pics this time, I have said since the beginning of this thread that this project was about a car for my wife and I to enjoy.. over the years it has been a family affair as well.. My son has gotten involved a couple differant times, and now my step daughter Savanna is getting into the act.. she has always liked the Dart, and since the days when I first got it roadworthy again, she hasnt missed an oppurtunity to go for a ride in it.. She likes to joke around and say that the Dart will eventually be hers, or that she will be the one to get it at some point.. (honestly, i believe the time will come when I give the Dart to her... however, im gonna hold onto the car for a while LOL) .. anyways, Monica and Vanna came down to the garage to help clean up the car and start recovering her.. here's a couple playful pics while they were on a 'break' lol....

Attachments

• gg.jpg
    103.5 KB · Views: 841
  • hyy.jpg
    88.8 KB · Views: 821
Your doing a find job. I got to get your buddys name & number I need my V top & head liner put in this winter. Keep up good work.

Your doing a find job. I got to get your buddys name & number I need my V top & head liner put in this winter. Keep up good work.

Thank you very much.. Where are you located? When your ready, let me know and I will get you in touch with the guy that did my top and headliner, I will tell you though, he is usually crazy busy and hard to nail down for a specific time to do the work LOL .. but he does an awesome job

Howdy gang... well its time for another buggy update... Actually have managed to get a few things done in the past couple weeks.. its nice to actually be working on the car again somewhat..

So... I finally decided to make the switch to bucket seats.. now this was something I had planned from the day I bought the buggy.. but as time went on, my wife liked the bench.. so I decided I would leave it.. I however still intended to convert from column shift to floor shift (probably with a quarter stick or something to that effect) .. problem is, my wife is short lol.. so it was gonna be tough to get the bench adjusted up far enough for her (she does want to drive the Dart at some point) .. that and Im not really into wanting to lean forward for the shifter.. So.. buckets it is... Now finding A body buckets proved to be hard as hell... I managed to find A body tracks at the Nats.. seats.. still nothing.. the prices were just too much. So I managed to find a set of later B body seats... The price was right, and after doing a good bit of research (and thanks to many members help on here) I know these seats will fit and work.. (they will of course need recovered at some point but they are in nice enough shape I can get some seat covers at the local auto part store and run 'em til I build up the small fortune it will cost for custom covering... lol...

Well also got back to the body work, got the quarter to door gap all fixed up and pretty on the passenger side, and almost have the front fender done.. At some point I will find a better passenger side fender.. but you know how it is.. they are EXPENSIVE.. and money here is way tight.. so it took a lot of beating and banging, and more mud than I would like to get this fender into workable shape... but it will do the job until such a point as I can afford $300 or better for 1 fender...

So all in all its been a good couple weeks.. hopefully the car still sees paint before October.. we shall see...

Attachments

• fender1.jpg
    73.5 KB · Views: 807
  • doorgap2.jpg
    82.8 KB · Views: 797
  • doorgap1.jpg
    71.3 KB · Views: 803
  • seats.jpg
    86 KB · Views: 780
Nice body work! And I think those seats will work out well. Thanks for the update...hit it hard before that brutal PA winter sets in!

Nice body work! And I think those seats will work out well. Thanks for the update...hit it hard before that brutal PA winter sets in!

Thanks.. trust me, I am doing all I can to get as much done before winter shuts me down. LOL .. and if its anything like the last couple winters, brutal is a good word for it LOL

This weeks update is... sanding, sanding, sanding, and more sanding... my arms are killing me LOL .. stay tuned

Hey gang...Well its been a month since an update.. Not a great deal more has happened, money has been tight (been thats always the way it is) and I have been real busy with work... Did manage to get the Buggy outside last weekend so we could totally clean the garage out, organize tools and supplies, give the floor a quick bath, and put her back in to get ready for what I was hoping would be the final push (but you just can never tell) ... We got her in primer for the 3rd time, and she is starting to look real sweet.. Since the pics, I have already blocked her again, and have hit the small things that were found with icing.. Shes getting close... Only real issue still remains that passenger side fender... As I said in an earlier post that fender was hit.. and hit pretty good.. 69 Dart fenders are way harder to come by than I ever imagined and when I do find them they are not cheap!! lol.. This set was one I could afford and my friends were convinced we could save this fender... We have, but its just frustrating, trying to get body lines back in it, and get it to look good.. we keep chasing things all over the fender.. as you can see from the final pic, its close, but still not right.. I have come to the conclusion it just will never be 100% right... I am building a cruiser after all, so I can live with that....

Finally tracked down a NICE set of vinyl top moldings.. mine were decent but someone drilled holes in them to hold them down with stainless screws!! . Turns out the guy I got them from has a bunch of Darts (70-up) .. this is were project Bills Buggy may take a turn.. lol... I have posted threads on here looking for pics of a Dart I saw at the Nats 2 years ago.. it was orange/red 69 Dart with a 70-72 front clip (I am pretty sure it was a 70)... I absolutely LOVED the way the 70 front looked with the rest of the 69... since then I have never seen another .... Well this guy has a couple complete front clips.. Told me he would sell me a complete 71 front clip... dont know the exact price, but the guy is not out to make a fortune and has always been more than fair on pricing...

So... I am thinking real hard about making my car a 69 with a 71 front clip... My wife however has voted I leave the Buggy the way she has always been.. a 69 only... But said that the final decision will be mine... I realize this is my car and the only opinion that really matters is mine... but I do value the opinions of others.. so I am putting the question out there.. Finish the Buggy as a 69 ( and keep beating my head against the wall with that fender) or make the crazy 69-71 Buggy? ... all opinions, thoughts, and suggestions welcome.. enjoy the pics... and thanks in advance....

Attachments

• outside.jpg
    93.4 KB · Views: 679
  • close.jpg
    91.1 KB · Views: 702
  • 3rdprime.jpg
    63.5 KB · Views: 701
  • 3rdprime2.jpg
    66.9 KB · Views: 704
heres the last pic, with a good view of the front fender...

Attachments

• 3rdprimeresize.jpg
    94.7 KB · Views: 704
Great work you are doing there!
I would definitely leave the front clip a '69 and not change to a '70 and up.
Just my 2 cents.....

Great work you are doing there!
I would definitely leave the front clip a '69 and not change to a '70 and up.
Just my 2 cents.....

Thanks Dartnut.. I appreciate the kind words.. and you now make it 2 votes for the 69 clip lol...

I had seen your thread title but never sat down and scrolled through all 5 pages.

well worth the read....let me say!

I am very impressed. The buggy has come A LONG WAY. Here is another vote for keeping her all 1969.

Love the dual snorkel scoop idea. I had a 69 swinger 273/904/8.75 about 10 years ago and installed a dual snorkel scoop on it.....it really changed the visual personality for the better.

Cant wait to see your buggy in solid B5....its one of my favorite Mopar Colors.

Keep up the stellar work, and attitude!!

subscribed.

Body work looks FANTASTIC!! Vote me in on keeping her all '69. That body style is one of my favorite A's. But if you really dig the '70 front clip use it. It will look good either way.

I had seen your thread title but never sat down and scrolled through all 5 pages.

well worth the read....let me say!

I am very impressed. The buggy has come A LONG WAY. Here is another vote for keeping her all 1969.

Love the dual snorkel scoop idea. I had a 69 swinger 273/904/8.75 about 10 years ago and installed a dual snorkel scoop on it.....it really changed the visual personality for the better.

Cant wait to see your buggy in solid B5....its one of my favorite Mopar Colors.

Keep up the stellar work, and attitude!!

subscribed.

I thank you very much for taking the time to read the thread.. Glad that you have enjoyed it.. Thanks also for kind words.. They are always appreciated.. And trust me, I myself cant wait to see her all B5 blue!! lol.. Feels like its taking forever to get there...

roadrunner so sexy :D

?? lol

Body work looks FANTASTIC!! Vote me in on keeping her all '69. That body style is one of my favorite A's. But if you really dig the '70 front clip use it. It will look good either way.

Thank you much!! I have to say body work has been by far my least favorite part of the project LOL .. So far my wife is happy to see all the votes for keeping the buggy 69 only.. lol.. I still intend to take a couple days to mull it over.. but I am totally appreciating the input.. I probably should've done this part as a poll thread.. oh well.. lol

I should also point out that if I do end up keeping the buggy all 69, in terms of the front clip, I have decided to leave the letters on the hood, even though I am going with that dual snorkel scoop.. For anyone that missed it, scroll back a few pages where I have the scoop laying on the hood.. The hood came off of a 67 Dart, so it has that syle lettering.. I was originally going to lose the letters and fill the holes.. However, it actually started to grow on me.. lol.. So I have decided the letters will stay.. Of course this now means I have to track down better letters.. mine are ROUGH.. lol... Though I am sure those letters shouldnt be too terribly difficult to find...

not to hijack....but here is a couple pics of my ole' 69 with the dual snorkel scoop on it:
MVC-007F-2.jpg

MVC-001F-1.jpg

I plasma cut the diamond out of the hood underneath the scoop for some fresh air flow.

looked really good....and its too bad I cant find any more pics or I would post em!!

I like it.. it looks cool, cant wait to see it all done on the buggy...

-
Back