Project- Bills Buggy

-
yup, had a tough time...but was not impossible.

found a new one on ebay http://compare.ebay.com/like/270958687324?var=lv&ltyp=AllFixedPriceItemTypes&var=sbar&_lwgsi=y&cbt=y

and another from metro (same company some of my seals are from and its nice quality stuff)

part # VWS 2705-R at http://www.metrommp.com/

just incase you decide to go that route. hopefully you can get it repaired with minimal expense and hassle though.

Thanks for the info Jerrod... I can tell you though that first one is from Steele rubber.. if you go back to the 3rd page of the thread (i believe its that page lol) you can read all about my dealings with them and their junk.. They were the only ones with a rubber available when I started this.. everywhere else, was national backorder (which is still in effect). Steele manufactuars their own stuff.. so i ordered one.. it didnt fit.. it was so loose that with the rear glass in you could literally push the glass out with 2 fingers... it was awful. then I had to fight with them for a month to get my money back (somewhere around $150-$160 at that time) .. The Metro one, I know nothing about.. when I first started looking they said they didnt have any... but I will give them a call Monday and see what the deal is now.. at any rate, I appreciate you doing that searching for me.. means a lot:thumleft:

Hey,
You had several comments that it had to be right, the whole tread.
A piece of glass that is not correct fix it or your kids will have to if it rust out.
Urathane is about $30 a tube, new gasket be done with it.
Welding, twisting, bending the car into shape may have affected the sealing surface.
Urathane will seal leaks.

If nothing else.. I hope to at least get some sealant around the gasket, and try to force some into the gasket (between the gasket and the glass) we will see how that turns out.. I have not completely ruled out pulling the glass again... but at this time I know I am not ready for that.. I dont want to do that unless I am 100% sure I can find a back window rubber just in case I damage the one I have.. right now she leaks, but I can drive the car... I ruin that rubber and have no replacement the car stays down until I find one... and I REALLY want to drive my car LMAO

You haven't taken that car for a ride around the block yet? Your self control is incredible!

You haven't taken that car for a ride around the block yet? Your self control is incredible!

Well.. We are pulling it out today, so we can paint the hood.. So I may take it around the block with no hood on it LMAO.. the rainy weather has kept me from doing it the past week LOL

Ah, rain yes... yeah, just run 'er around the block quick old school no hood style :)

Disclaimer: Of course, depends on how sympathetic the law enforcement in your area is. I wouldn't want to encourage something that could get you a ticket (no hood). If not sure, maybe wait til the hood is back on. Still, dang, I have a feeling a quick ride would somewhat alleviate your frustration with your window and such.

Hey Bill. Just hang in there. As for question on how to install the rear window. I installed mine the same way. I did use dish soap to lub the rubber and pinch weld. It took me and 1 buddy 30 minutes to get it in. The hardest part was bottom corners. But even with new rubber on mine it still leaks very little. I hope this weekend to squeeze some sealant between the glass and seal. I had to do the same for the front, but it leaked worse so it was fixed last summer.
Glad that you were able to find replacement trim for around the window. I do have most of the trim from parts car if needed. So sit back, take a sip of your fav drink, then take a long look of what you have done on the Buggy. Once you are feeling better bout what you have done take another try at the things that need a tweak. Good luck brother.

Hey Bill. Just hang in there. As for question on how to install the rear window. I installed mine the same way. I did use dish soap to lub the rubber and pinch weld. It took me and 1 buddy 30 minutes to get it in. The hardest part was bottom corners. But even with new rubber on mine it still leaks very little. I hope this weekend to squeeze some sealant between the glass and seal. I had to do the same for the front, but it leaked worse so it was fixed last summer.
Glad that you were able to find replacement trim for around the window. I do have most of the trim from parts car if needed. So sit back, take a sip of your fav drink, then take a long look of what you have done on the Buggy. Once you are feeling better bout what you have done take another try at the things that need a tweak. Good luck brother.

To say that the bottom corners were 'the hardest part', is somewhat of an understatement LOL .. It was an outright *****!! lmao.. Thanks for the kind words... walking away from the buggy Friday night was the best thing I could do. Saturday wound up being a better day for me and the car...

Well... Walking away from the buggy Friday night, venting and getting things out of my system, worked wonders for me.. Got to the garage Saturday around noon to get started.. we again took a shot at the rear window chrome.. It took us an hour, and it still fought tooth and nail, but we got it off. Monday we will be sealing up the glass and the rubber and hoping for the best.. I cleaned up my other set of chrome for when we put it back on.. and then came the biggest moral booster of all... I pulled the car out! lol

Now we needed to get the car out so we could work on the hood.. at first I was just going to pull it out and leave it at that.. but once it was out, and I sat there behind the wheel. I could feel the itch.. BAD.. my buddie Bob, said, 'take it around the block willy'... I needed no further prodding... For the first time in nearly 2 years, I drove my car more than 10 feet.. I took it around the block (and its a really big block) twice.. the second time I even stood on it a little just to stretch the ol girls legs a little.. What a boost.. I told my wife it was almost as good as sex LMAO.. No hood.. rear markers out.. didnt care... got lots of head turns from other drivers and people walking around.. for 5 minutes I was on top of the world.. I did learn a couple things.. she needs lined up big time LOL.. and the headers still hit (i kind of figured they would) .. I may have adjusted the torsion bars down a stitch too much... but oh well.. lol.. what a blast... and sorry guys, no video... no one wanted to work my iphone while I drove.. and truthfully, I was so excited to be driving the Dart, I kind of forgot to ask at first lol

After that it was time to get back to work.. I got all the rear interior back in (my first time doing that.. Its funny trying to figure out what screws go where and how stuff fits together, when your not the one that took it apart LOL .. ) .but I got it done... We got the hood and scoop prepped and painted, and called it a day.. had a few beers and celebrated a much better day...

I did promise some pics of the buggy seeing daylight, so enjoy.. also took pics of the scoop and hood.. the hood wasnt dry yet, so it looks weird in the pic.. and the last pic is one I did with an app on my phone.. gave the Dart a chrome, high sharpened effect with a slight border (photography is another interest of mine and I like doing artsy fartsy things with pics LOL) .. I want to thank you all again for the pep talks and positive thoughts... as always, stay tuned...

Attachments

• paint35.jpg
    118.1 KB · Views: 517
  • paint36.jpg
    124.2 KB · Views: 491
  • paint37.jpg
    127.2 KB · Views: 505
  • scoop.jpg
    103.9 KB · Views: 505
  • hood1.jpg
    99.9 KB · Views: 513
  • paint38.jpg
    150.4 KB · Views: 520
and then came the biggest moral booster of all... I pulled the car out! lol

... For the first time in nearly 2 years, I drove my car more than 10 feet.. I took it around the block (and its a really big block) twice.. the second time I even stood on it a little just to stretch the ol girls legs a little.. What a boost..

told ya... lol :) :supz:

woooohooooo the maiden voyage since the resto. congrats Buddy. it always makes things feel a little better when you get the chance to go for a quick spin. I do it every couple months just to help keep the motivation up there lol.

by the way, did you get the post i left you in your parts wanted thread?. I found a member selling some antenna parts and i wasn't sure if they were what you were looking for or not but figured I would pass the info along to you just in case.

I said it before and I will say it again. I envy you Bill, I cant wait to be at that stage with my project lol. I am getting very,very,very tired of all of this sanding lol. It seems never ending at times lol

woooohooooo the maiden voyage since the resto. congrats Buddy. it always makes things feel a little better when you get the chance to go for a quick spin. I do it every couple months just to help keep the motivation up there lol.

by the way, did you get the post i left you in your parts wanted thread?. I found a member selling some antenna parts and i wasn't sure if they were what you were looking for or not but figured I would pass the info along to you just in case.

I said it before and I will say it again. I envy you Bill, I cant wait to be at that stage with my project lol. I am getting very,very,very tired of all of this sanding lol. It seems never ending at times lol

Thanks dude... yeah the maiden voyage worked wonders on my state of mind.. still alot to get done in the next 2 weeks, but I feel so much better..

I did get your post in the antenna thread, those antenna bezels were the wrong ones, but I totally appreciate you trying to help me out. :smile:

And soon it will be you taking spins around the block with your car sprayed.. I imagine you have to be right on the verge of primer.. I cant wait to see it.. Its gonna be awesome.

that buggy has turned into a fine piece of work there Bill that ride around the block must of given a real boost to the motovation. i love the last pic makes me want to get mine painted even more just wished i had the funds and another vehicle to drive while doing so
give yourself a big pat on the back

that buggy has turned into a fine piece of work there Bill that ride around the block must of given a real boost to the motovation. i love the last pic makes me want to get mine painted even more just wished i had the funds and another vehicle to drive while doing so
give yourself a big pat on the back

Thanks... and I will be giving pats on the back to my friends at the garage... without whom, the buggy would still look like it does on page 1 of this thread LOL ... I am blessed with a great group of friends..

Well, it wasnt a ton of progress tonight, but progress is progress.. We got the hood back on for the final time (thank god...lol) .. And as usual it fought us going back on, didnt want to line up, and then the scoop fought.. LOL .. but, we got her all back on, the lettering on, and front trim.. I think the buggy now has a definite touch of 'mean'... I love the new look.. Cant wait to drive her again .. Hoping for this weekend..

Before that though.. I did manage to score some actual a-body bucket seat tracks, though they need work.. So.. the bucket seat, quarter stick part of the project wont be done til some time later this summer.. So I will pick up another bench seat cover at Advance and the wife and I can still enjoy the car til I have everything ready to go with the bucket seat/shifter project (that should only lay the car up for a weekend at most) ... The rest of this week will be odds and ends.. Im no more than a week away (hopefully) from the buggy being back on the road... Let summer begin! lol.. enjoy the pics.. tell me what you think.. I love the comments, they keep me motivated

Attachments

• hood3.jpg
    85.8 KB · Views: 463
  • hood4.jpg
    132.9 KB · Views: 455
  • hood5.jpg
    90.5 KB · Views: 447
Bill....... Man that thing sure is looking sweet. love the way the hood and scoop came out. gave it a nice old school mopar look and yes it does add a touch of "mean" to the buggy also. you got yourself a killer looking ride buddy. be proud. I like it!

Bill....... Man that thing sure is looking sweet. love the way the hood and scoop came out. gave it a nice old school mopar look and yes it does add a touch of "mean" to the buggy also. you got yourself a killer looking ride buddy. be proud. I like it!

Thanks Jerrod... and trust me, I am pretty proud of how she is turning out..

Bill. The buggy looks killer. You said that our comments keep you motivated, well yor ride gets me motivated and wainting to find something to do to my car. So I am boxing in the trunk for a cleaner look. Thanks, see what you started? lol

Bill. The buggy looks killer. You said that our comments keep you motivated, well yor ride gets me motivated and wainting to find something to do to my car. So I am boxing in the trunk for a cleaner look. Thanks, see what you started? lol

LOL looks like we all motivate each other then huh? Thanks for the compliment.. and is there a thread for what your doing so I can follow along? LOL .. Keep me posted how it goes

Well, it wasnt a ton of progress tonight, but progress is progress.. We got the hood back on for the final time (thank god...lol) .. And as usual it fought us going back on, didnt want to line up, and then the scoop fought.. LOL .. but, we got her all back on, the lettering on, and front trim.. I think the buggy now has a definite touch of 'mean'... I love the new look.. Cant wait to drive her again .. Hoping for this weekend..

Before that though.. I did manage to score some actual a-body bucket seat tracks, though they need work.. So.. the bucket seat, quarter stick part of the project wont be done til some time later this summer.. So I will pick up another bench seat cover at Advance and the wife and I can still enjoy the car til I have everything ready to go with the bucket seat/shifter project (that should only lay the car up for a weekend at most) ... The rest of this week will be odds and ends.. Im no more than a week away (hopefully) from the buggy being back on the road... Let summer begin! lol.. enjoy the pics.. tell me what you think.. I love the comments, they keep me motivated

Speed it looks great. All your hard work has paid off.

Dang, Speed. The Dart turned out awesome. I love the blue! I hope I'm never in the crosswalk when the buggy's at the light. It looks like it's ready to eat something, lol.

-
Back