Project Mayhem 70-73 Dart

-
Looking good John, I can't wait to see that sucker out on the road. If there is anything I can help with, let me know.

By the spring I will need the hood emblem, arm rest and did you have a chance to check on that fuel cell? Thanks Jeremy

Well the Competition Engineering adjustable coilovers came yesterday.:cheers: I ground off the spring pads and shock mounts from the rear end housing. Measured three times for the correct width and cut out 10.75" from the housing so I can slide on the link brackets. I am now in the process of cleaning up the frame rails and mocking up the crossmember and it's 4-link brackets. I plan on making my own narrowing jig at work so I make sure everthing is straight when I weld the housing back together. I will post some pics tommorrow.

dang i hope one day my dart will have a set up like that maybe before i get outa high school so i can show it off hahaha im 15 now so by the time im like 20 i should have the dart the way i want just like yours that looks good already and it aint even in your car lol what gears are you gonna be running?

dang i hope one day my dart will have a set up like that maybe before i get outa high school so i can show it off hahaha im 15 now so by the time im like 20 i should have the dart the way i want just like yours that looks good already and it aint even in your car lol what gears are you gonna be running?

Thanks 71dodge. I just want something a little different and have always loved tubbed mopars and have always wanted a 4-link. I just like the adjustability of them and they look pretty cool too. Of course it would have been much easier and cheaper to throw in an 8 3/4 and springs and call it good. I also have something cool planned for the paint on the pumpkin. We will see how it turns out. I am going to install the 3.89 set that I originally bought for the project. I thought about reusing the 3.50 set that came in the housing, but this will not be a highway cruiser.

Are you still planning on installing the big block?

Well I finally got the 4-link tack welded to the housing. Turned out pretty good. There was barely enough clearance between the frame rails of the dart to get the width it needed so it could match up with the brackets on the 4-link and the brackets of the custom crossmember. Well I am going on a couple of hunting trips for a couple of weeks after thanksgiving. So the dart is coming to a halt until I get back.

4link.jpg

4link1.jpg

Wow, that looks very nice John. I will actually have some black arm rests for you as soon as I strip this Duster at D&D, so that will save you from having to die them. As for the emblem. I will try to get the deck lid out of the snow this weekend or next.

Your car is coming along great. I can't wait to see it out and about.

And the fuel cell looks like about a 10 gallon plastic one.

And the fuel cell looks like about a 10 gallon plastic one.

Thanks Jeremy, but I will pass. My plans are now to run an aluminum tank. Hopefully in the next month or so I can get the rear end done and out of the way. I will have to have a new drive shaft made with 1350 yokes.

Just a little update today. Got the crossmember welded in, housing, 4-link and coilovers mocked up. So far so good. As soon as I cut out the mini tubs and my axles get here I will have a roller. Today my plans are to fabricate a crossmember for my upper coilover mounts and weld it in. Don't worry. More body work is in the future.

mock up rear.jpg

mock up rear1.jpg

mock up rear2.jpg

Looks great John. I can't wait to see it out on the road.

First rule about project mayhem is we do NOT talk about project mayhem..... sorry couldn't resist, watch the movie fight club and you would know what I am talking about haha

First rule about project mayhem is we do NOT talk about project mayhem..... sorry couldn't resist, watch the movie fight club and you would know what I am talking about haha

I'm glad someone caught that. When I was thinking up a name for my project it's the only thing that popped in my head.

Well the rear end is burned in and supporting the car. The 150 lb. Competition Engineering springs are a bit too soft. As it sits now the shocks are past half on their travel and I don't even have any interior or fuel cell in the car. I have a set of Alston 200 lb. springs that I will install and see how much travel I have then. So far I am very happy with the 4-link and I have plenty of adjustment to dial in my ride height and how the car launchs. Still waiting on my axles to get here from currie. I will have more pics soon.

It's come along ways in a short time from when you first got it. Keep up the hard work its Lookin Great!!!

Just an update. Well the front of the car is tied in to the 4-link crossmember. Decided to just weld in 2" box tubing. Should be plenty strong. Still waiting on my axles to get here and I am dreading cutting out the tubs (done it before and it sucks.) I think that I will go ahead with the trouble of full tubs. I will post pics once the axles are here and the car is sitting on tires.

Very cool project! I love this sight. Theres soooo many guys whom are willing to share thier builds and take great pics. For me it's truly inspirational and without this sight I would have given up long ago. aND FOR THE DAYS LIKE THIS,WHERE i AM FRUSTRATED BY PAIN ETC,it really cheers me up.

Thanks Badart and the many others who have posted thier biuld progress.

Just an update on what I have done the last couple of weeks. Finished up the mini tubs (what a PITA). Installed the rear with the new axles and installed the disc brakes and the brake lines. Everything went as smooth as expected. The wheels and tires are an extremely tight fit even with some trimming on the fender lip. I have a about 3/4" of clearance inside and out, but it looks cool. Welded in a new trunk pan. Installed the 16 gal fuel cell, ran new lines, installed filter and holley red pump. Bleed the brakes and fired it up and had to take it for a spin. Drives great, but the detroit locker is already annoying. My plans are now to pull the motor again and fix an annoying rear pan seal leak and install 1.6 roller rockers that I picked up from Madart.

Rear discs.jpg

Rear member.jpg

New dart.jpg

New dart1.jpg

New dart2.jpg

New dart3.jpg

very cool man! at least you can drive yours!!! I hate you!!! JK. Now, come over and help me with body work....hate it, cant do it, suck at it...lol

Installed some aluminum 1.6 roller rockers while I pulled the motor to install the new 3000 stall converter. Also been welding up about 30 holes drilled in the floor from previous seats installed. I also had to weld in a couple of patch panels in the passenger side. Well the passenger side is complete and I am now working on the drivers side, luckily it is just surface rust. Next project a new gauge cluster.

Rockers.jpg

Converter.jpg

Cell.jpg

Floor pans.jpg

Very nice stuff you bought there. Cant say I've heard of boss hog before,where did you pick it up? And why is the locker annoying? Does the ratcheting noise get to you?

Details,detalis...

Very nice stuff you bought there. Cant say I've heard of boss hog before,where did you pick it up? And why is the locker annoying? Does the ratcheting noise get to you?

Details,detalis...

The locker is more annoying than I remember. People are going to think the rear is falling apart. Lol. The converter is decent and fairly cheap. Just google them. Some guys on here really like boss hog and others don't. It's just like anything else I guess.

-
Back