Prostate Cancer

-
glad to hear your good Craig I went in when I turned 40 for a full checkup man was I relieved when the doc told me "We don't do it that way anymore we have a blood test now " had it done twice since so far so good but not something to take for granted thats for sure

To all men 40+ Please take my advice and get tested (P.S.A.test) I had a real shock this past Spring when I found out at 44,that I have Prostate Cancer! I had to have my Prostate removed just this past Sept.I have excepted the fact,and I'm glad to be alive. Normally Doctor's don't advise a blood test for it until age 50.I think sometimes,and it's scary, that if I had waited,I might not have made 50! I had no symptom's and mostly you never do if it is early stage. It's when you start having these symptom's it becomes harder to cure.I don't mean to ramble on,but just take it from me,and get TESTED!! Thanks for reading and Thanks FABO!

I was border line on my PSA and it moved up and down, from 4 to 7. I had 3 biopsys and they found nothing until it went to 8+ and on the fourth biopsy they found it in 3 spots. I was operated on the end of July and have healed well. The side effects are a B*tch and are much better as time goes by. It takes 6 to 12 months to get back to normal but you will be OK. I just had my first PSA test after the surgery and it was "less then .01" The surgery wasn't too bad, 2 1/2 days in the hospital but not much pain. They left the catherter in for 2 weeks, that really was a pain!!!
Get yourself tested, it's easily taken care of if found early. I ride my bike, work on the car (just put struts and brakes on the Ponticrap) and am on the mend. It's not fun but it's a ton better then the other option!

glad it was caught early enough and you are on the mend.
i just had my blood taken today as a matter of fact and i have an appointment for a colonoscopy (sp) coming up.
never had either before and i'm 55, hoping for the best.

My Father who was a WW2 vet (fought the Japanese in SW Pacific) & seemed invincible was diagnosed with PC and it took him in less than 2 years, very sad time it was. GET TESTED!

I just had mine removed last week. I am 56. I have been monitoring my PSA levels for a couple of years. I had a biopsy two years ago and it showed it was OK even though my PSA level was high.

I have a new Dr. due to insurance and he gave me another biopsy and it showed that one of the twelve samples had a quarter of it showing cancer. Well the rest is history.

The results showed that 10% of my prostate had cancer but that it was restricted to the prostate only and had not spread to anything surrounding it.

So far I guess that I lucked out. Besides half of my digital exams were by some hot nurses. It isn't all bad!!

Mike

I was reading this thread and then went downstairs to watch the news and I see, Holy S%^t Mark Dailey died. For all of you Ontario members he was a fixture on City Pulse News, For all you Rush fans he was the deep voice on the tune "Subdivisions" , He was an advocate for getting checked. He had beat the prostate cancer, it showed up in hs kidneys in September and finally his lungs. Prostrat cancer killed my dad's best friend as well. I am 49 and have only ever had the un pleasant test we all know about. I think am going to get tested.

Colonoscopy is no big deal. You are in lala land. The bad part is drinking the junk to clean you out.

i was reading this thread and then went downstairs to watch the news and i see, holy s%^t mark dailey died. For all of you ontario members he was a fixture on city pulse news, for all you rush fans he was the deep voice on the tune "subdivisions" , he was an advocate for getting checked. He had beat the prostate cancer, it showed up in hs kidneys in september and finally his lungs. Prostrat cancer killed my dad's best friend as well. I am 49 and have only ever had the un pleasant test we all know about. I think am going to get tested.
do not think!! Do!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I hit 40 this year. I saw my doc yesterday with just a normal visit (diabetes) but the doc never mentions things like this.

We're men here so lay it on the line.... lol

Exactly how is the digital test performed? If anything I will know what to look forward to and want have any surprises.

After the prostate is removed does your "man hood" go with it? No more nuky?? The reason I ask is my friend had his removed and he was a pitiful thing after that. I didn't want to ask exactly what they did because he wasn't taking so well.

thanks for the reminder how important it is to get check.Glad all turned out good for you.Mt dad is reminding me every week to get a full exam and check for macular degeneration .

I'm on the once a year plan,it ain't that bad,he uses a ton of lube,lol.Had the colonoscopy last year,so far so good.Get my blood tested bout 3 times a year.Glad to see your ok Craig,great thread BTW. :thumblef:

I hit 40 this year. I saw my doc yesterday with just a normal visit (diabetes) but the doc never mentions things like this.

Exactly how is the digital test performed? If anything I will know what to look forward to and want have any surprises.

After the prostate is removed does your "man hood" go with it? No more nuky?? The reason I ask is my friend had his removed and he was a pitiful thing after that. I didn't want to ask exactly what they did because he wasn't taking so well.

A lot of doc's don't mention it til your near fifty but like Craig says it,s a good idea to start early. The digital test? Well that's a play on words if you really don't know what it means.I think my doc uses 2 fingers,i can't really count them,and I don't ask or look.:angry7:

I am not sure of all of the consequeces yet as I had mine removed on Thanksgiving eve, but if your insurance will pay for it have them use the Da Vinci robot to do the procedure.

I am off of work for 6 weeks and now 2 weeks later I am working on my car again (light tasks like burnouts, etc.) I plan on putting in a new radiator today. Overall I feel pretty good. I will keep you posted on the little man's performance, in an informative way of course.

Mike

Had mine checked yesterday, PSA and the Digital test.

I only wish Digital meant Electronic - lol I feel so used when he says "theres tissues on the counter" and walks out of the room. Some flowers or something would be nice, I mean, really.

I am not sure of all of the consequeces yet as I had mine removed on Thanksgiving eve, but if your insurance will pay for it have them use the Da Vinci robot to do the procedure.

I am off of work for 6 weeks and now 2 weeks later I am working on my car again (light tasks like burnouts, etc.) I plan on putting in a new radiator today. Overall I feel pretty good. I will keep you posted on the little mans performance, in an informative way of course. Craig's reply // It's been 11 weeks since I had the surgery. Little man is peeing fine,not leaking,but he refuses to stand at attention as of now! I'm hoping the wife can convince him to soon with some close help!! lol. keeping my fingers crossed everyday, but I'm glad to be alive!!

Ax', my dad his his removed from prostate cancer.
he is alive and well, strong as a friggin ox at 74 yrs old, but yes he can no longer get a boner if that's what you are asking.
It did put a crimp in his style for sure and he is frustrated that he can no longer use Mr wiggles, but he does have the peace of mind knowing that the trade off was worth his life.
His biggest battle now is diabetes- he is a mess with that stuff big time.

He choked at a restaurant during a low sugar attack and was whisked to the hospital.
The doctor said it took seven men to hold him down to try to remove whatever was in his throat even after they gave him something to calm him down.
They said he was the strongest SOB they ever dealt with...ha, ha...Viking blood runs deep in the family.

I am off of work for 6 weeks and now 2 weeks later I am working on my car again (light tasks like burnouts, etc.) I plan on putting in a new radiator today. Overall I feel pretty good. I will keep you posted on the little mans performance, in an informative way of course.

Mike
The first reply didn't work so well so here go's. It's been 11 weeks since I had the surgery. I'm back to work since the 15th of Nov. Little man is peeing fine and is not leaking. I'm just having a tuff time getting him to stand at attention! I think the wife is going to have to get strict with him..very close!! lol.. I'm glad to be alive no matter what the outcome..

Hey Craig

Congrats and good luck. I want to add my voice to the discussion to urge everyone to get tested! I am over 50 and I get the test and exam every year onmy birthday. Good way to remember 'cause if you don't you may not have many left.

Had mine checked yesterday, PSA and the Digital test.

I only wish Digital meant Electronic - lol I feel so used when he says "theres tissues on the counter" and walks out of the room. Some flowers or something would be nice, I mean, really.

Or maybe dinner and drinks? Thats the one I pull on the doctor when I get checked-he doesn't laugh much, no sense of humor.

Hey Craig

Congrats and good luck. I want to add my voice to the discussion to urge everyone to get tested! I am over 50 and I get the test and exam every year onmy birthday. Good way to remember 'cause if you don't you may not have many left.
// That's right. I'm 44 and the Urologist figures I had the Cancer for about 4 years! Still early stage enough to cure! So far so good!!

Yes get checked. My dad got checked and they found it early. Had it removed and no problems for the next 20+ years until he passed from Alzheimer.

My dad just had his PSA level checked starting about a year ago, and while it wasn't all that high - I think it was a level 4, all of his biopsies (SP?) came back as positive for cancer in the Prostate, but nothing surrounding it. From what his doctor said, if the doctor did the surgery himself and cut around the nerves, my dad would have the ability to get an erection after the surgery, but the recovery time is longer. If the robot does the surgery, it basically cuts in a circle around the Prostate and takes everything with it - including the nerve, so no erection any longer. My dad went the surgery route instead of doing radiation, but ended doing the radiation anyway because the test's after the surgery showed the robot didn't get as much of a margin around the prostrate of "good" cells as the doctor would have liked.
My mom is just glad to have him around for a while longer. I'm kinda dreading this myself as my dad's dad = Grandpa also had prostate cancer also, so it's in my genes! I'm getting close to 40 myself and my wife is already bugging me about getting mine checked starting at 40.

Hope this helps everyone - let me know if you know I got something wrong...

I must say that I do not agree with your assessment that the robot cuts out everything around the prostate including the nerves. All of my doctors including my surgeon who was operating the machine told me that the robot was the best nerve sparing and the least invasive with the quickest recovery.

My Urologist did say that if they open you up like gutting a pig then yes they could possibly spare the nerves.

Anyway it goes I certainly am glad that your dad came out okay which is what I wish for any of us that have to go through this experience. And I am certainly predjuce on the robot thing since that is the route that I have taken. I was forturnate that my surgeon was also an instructor on the procedure and had already performed more that 300 procedures.

Best of luck for all. Survival of cancer is the most important result with the ability to push a clutch pedal and gas pedal at will second.

Mike

-
Back