PST's Project Duster

-

PST

Marketing Manager
FABO Vendor
Reaction score
Well its almost been a year since I bought the Duster. Finally moved it from the corner of my shop to start picking away at it. The goal is to make it drivable for the summer. So to start I need something to attach the gas tank straps to. The only real spot of rust was in the spare tire well. So I found a AMD repair panel on craigslist that someone had lost interest in there project. Once that is in the car will get various suspension upgrades such leaf spring relocation kit, tubular control arms, torsion bars and lower control arms rebuilt with stiffening plates etc. Then this up coming winter the car will be stripped and the redone. Stay tuned

dusterabody_zps7fc5ea23.jpg

IMG_20130309_174536_zps4b7ae7e6.jpg

IMG_20130309_173114_zpscfab8267.jpg

IMG_20130309_173203_zps2ff1e572.jpg

IMG_20130309_173057_zpsa648d6f7.jpg

IMG_20130309_174515_zps40895e5a.jpg

IMG_20130309_174502_zps49ebb45f.jpg

I'll be following your progress, wondered when we might see it again!
C

Be nice to see this one coming back to life!

Yeah its the Duster that will not die LOL. I did save it from being parted out. I have been wanting to get back to the car but I had to finish a couple of others to cover my shop rent.

While I have the frame rails exposed I will Por15 the inside and weld in the tube for the rear section on the leaf spring relocation kit.

Have any of you noticed with the AMD trunk panel that the back lip on the repair piece only goes to the edge of the tail pan instead if bending up at a 90 degree angle so you can spot weld it in like the original? I just don't get. The section going to the front of the car is great why not do the same in the back. Just my little rant

Thanks
James

James,
Re: the AMD trunk pan. Haven't looked at their site, but how do they advertise this piece? There is a difference in the shape of the rear lip between the '72 and '74. My guess is that this is being marketed as a "fits all" piece without the lip...

BTW - what is the plan for the tail panel? AMD makes a nice one, but it does require some mods around the taillight holes to fit.
C

James,
Re: the AMD trunk pan. Haven't looked at their site, but how do they advertise this piece? There is a difference in the shape of the rear lip between the '72 and '74. My guess is that this is being marketed as a "fits all" piece without the lip...

BTW - what is the plan for the tail panel? AMD makes a nice one, but it does require some mods around the taillight holes to fit.
C

The repair panel that I got was from one of their early runs, but I looked at the sight and the photo doesn't show the lip, but again we should be grateful that someone at least makes one because it sure beats fabricating one.

The tail panel is rough (dented) but rust free. So hammers, dollies, slap files, a stud gun and lead will be my best friends. I will be sure to supply photos when I start.

I am building this car at my own shop in Belvidere. I did spend a few hours this past weekend on it. Finished removing the rest the rust. Now it is just multiple test fits till I am happy with it.

Thanks
James

glad your finally getting to work on it, i bought it for parts for my 72 racecar but the car was to much there and was a running car just to strip it as to why i posted it forsale. cant wait to see it finished good luck.

I am close to Belvidere. I regularly went through there going to a friends house and work in Washington. Its was also the way to Island Dragway. Maybe I can help with parts . Steve

I am close to Belvidere. I regularly went through there going to a friends house and work in Washington. Its was also the way to Island Dragway. Maybe I can help with parts . Steve

Thanks Oldmanmopar!

I basically live at my shop on weekends. So if you ever want to stop by chat. Let me know.

Thanks
James

Well progress has been slow, I have been finishing up a few other projects. I did get back in the trunk this past weekend. This Duster definitely has had some rear end damage in it's lifetime and just by the way that the mount/brace for the trunk latch was booger welded on the repairs were not up to my standards.

What I am not happy with is the fit of the repair panel. I understand that aftermarket panel never fit perfect. But I think one of the frame rails maybe be tweaked.

Does anyone have the factory measurement on the frame rails of a 72 Duster? I would like to double so if there is a problem I can tow it over to a friends shop to use his frame straightener to correct the issue before installing the trunk floor.

Thanks in advance.

James

James, page 13-2 of the body manual has the dimensions your need.
I tried to copy the page without success.
C

Very nice build so far! I'm gonna be buying lots of suspension parts off you for my project in the next couple months! :D

Have any of you noticed with the AMD trunk panel that the back lip on the repair piece only goes to the edge of the tail pan instead if bending up at a 90 degree angle so you can spot weld it in like the original? I just don't get. The section going to the front of the car is great why not do the same in the back. Just my little rant

Thanks
James

That does not look like an AMD trunk pan. (Unless its a really old one?) the AMD ones are black and an exact replacement to the originals (has the lip in the back) and all the holes for the plugs and gas filler are pre cut and it comes with the oem style gas tank bracket/spare tire hold down. I've got one coming but it's on back order... I've seen them before so I know what they look like. It might be worth picking one up and selling yours to someone who needs to patch there's IMO. That one looks like it will take a lot to fit. (It looks like an old one that cross Canada sold out here)

You can see the lip in this pic,
D4485A86-7DC2-4923-9798-EEC1925E6C25-730-00000115F22DFA37_zps107ea0c3.jpg

I stole this pic from here someone's build. You can see the lip at the back.
F5040925-2D09-48ED-991A-DF8799C1F999-730-0000011962ED4A1A_zps6d6e11e5.jpg

Very nice build so far! I'm gonna be buying lots of suspension parts off you for my project in the next couple months! :D

That does not look like an AMD trunk pan. (Unless its a really old one?) the AMD ones are black and an exact replacement to the originals (has the lip in the back) and all the holes for the plugs and gas filler are pre cut and it comes with the oem style gas tank bracket/spare tire hold down. I've got one coming but it's on back order... I've seen them before so I know what they look like. It might be worth picking one up and selling yours to someone who needs to patch there's IMO. That one looks like it will take a lot to fit. (It looks like an old one that cross Canada sold out here)

You can see the lip in this pic,
D4485A86-7DC2-4923-9798-EEC1925E6C25-730-00000115F22DFA37_zps107ea0c3.jpg

I stole this pic from here someone's build. You can see the lip at the back.
F5040925-2D09-48ED-991A-DF8799C1F999-730-0000011962ED4A1A_zps6d6e11e5.jpg

You are correct I do believe that it is one of AMD's early ones. But for the price I paid for it I could not pass it up. The fit is great I just wish that they made the lip longer on the back half.

Thanks
James

-
Back