Pulley on Harmonic balancer not flush with fan pulley

-

sprue

Reaction score
I just installed a new cam on my 273, replaced the timing case seal and installed the balancer and pulley back on the crankshaft. It's definitely seated but it's offset from the fan pulley by about 3mm. Is there a spec or perhaps has someone installed the wrong pulley on my car?

That is about 1/8" right? Not too bad.

Separate question: Did you get the damper bolt torqued to the spec of 135 ft-lbs? That is important to essentially lock the damper hub firmly to the crank so the damper cam do its job.

That is about 1/8" right? Not too bad.

Separate question: Did you get the damper bolt torqued to the spec of 135 ft-lbs? That is important to essentially lock the damper hub firmly to the crank so the damper cam do its job.
I tightened it with a 200ft lb impact since I didn't have anything to keep the pulley from spinning to use a regular torque wrench.

If it's worth doing, it's worth doing right, grab a friend and a flywheel holding tool and torque it to spec. They have torque specs for a reason. Is it too far out or too far in?

If it's worth doing, it's worth doing right, grab a friend and a flywheel holding tool and torque it to spec. They have torque specs for a reason. Is it too far out or too far in?
too far out. I suppose I could try putting spacers behind the fan pulley

You have the timing gear on correctly and the oil slinger? If it lined up before, it should now unless you changed something or the dampener is not really all the way on.

You have the timing gear on correctly and the oil slinger? If it lined up before, it should now unless you changed something or the dampener is not really all the way on.
gear is definitely in all the way and the pulley will not go in any further so I know it's seated. The only thing that's changed is the new oil seal since I just went in there to install the cam. The oil slinger only goes on one way. If I put it in backwards it would be rubbing up on the chain. I must admit I didn't look closely when I was taking it apart to see if it was even.

Was this engine running prior to cam install?
I dont think 3mm offset is anything to worry about?? Yes/no?

the slinger is about a biz card thick, nothing to worry about. Is the pan off? Put a deep socket into a crank throw balance hole and ride it up to the passenger side oil pan rail.

the slinger is about a biz card thick, nothing to worry about. Is the pan off? Put a deep socket into a crank throw balance hole and ride it up to the passenger side oil pan rail.
the oil pan is on.

run 2 stout bolts out of the balancer hub and wedge a crowbar between them and the subframe.

was new water pump gasket as thick as old gasket???? adding gasket thickness could help align your pulleys but id get a good 135lbs torque on that balancer bolt for i did anything else.

That doesn't mean you got 200, or even 100 ft pounds on it. LOTS of things can affect the amount of torque you get out of an impact gun; age/wear, air pressure, water caused problems, etc. Torque it to 135 lbs first, then, if necessary, Id find some washers that could be used as spacers on the back side of the WP pulley. I've done that before.
I tightened it with a 200ft lb impact since I didn't have anything to keep the pulley from spinning to use a regular torque wrench.

Do you have the proper crank and water pump pulley???

Do you have a single groove or double groove pulley on either the fan or alternator??? Sometimes people mix and match them and they don't line up... The early style cast iron water pump has a shorter nose than the later style aluminum water pump... You have to get the proper pulleys to get them to align correctlty... Also on the later ones, AC cars had double pulley alt and water pump pulleys and the non A/C had single groove pulleys on the water pump and fan... Some people convert to non A/C and keep the double pulleys which won't line up as well as the single pulley set up...

Was the water pump pulley lined up before removal?
The one thing that occured to me that might jam up the damper from getting all the way on is the key in the crank snout getting loose a bit, and the damper hub kicks it up out of the keyway a bit when installing and the damper hub consequently jams on it. But I would think that would hang it up with much more than 1/8" from the proper seating position.

Here's a picture of the offset. It's about the width of the pulley lip. I'll have to get grade 8 bolts to hold the pulley. Bent the cheap ones.

IMG_4500.JPG

-
Back