Pulling 522 stroker from 1970 Swinger Help please

-
No reason u cant get the plugs out, and header bolts loose , I have raised port heads and forward strut bars in my engine bay , and I can get them out .
You can pull your engine & trans out together by just popping your headers loose

Can take the cap off the distributor and get on the crank with a socket on a breaker bar. Rock the crank back and forth, if the rotor turns the timing chain is still on.
Cam isn’t moving, cam/distributor worm gears ok
Get a bore scope and look in through the spark plug holes and see if you can see some minor nics in the piston tops.

Being careful with the spark plugs out, see if you can turn the crank a full 360°. Might have to pull the distributor if you have distributor drive gear issues. Then try again.

Would be nice if you can identify the real problem before pulling fhe engine.

could still be the chain then

but depending on when it went, yeah, it may have taken a few valves out

what's the background, did you buy the car running or was it like that when you bought it?
Bought it 4 weeks ago at Gateway classic cars in Denver. It was running well when I test drove it and ran well for a while after I got it home. I knew that it was built to drag race, all high quality stuff and very well executed. It’s a beautiful car.

Can take the cap off the distributor and get on the crank with a socket on a breaker bar. Rock the crank back and forth, if the rotor turns the timing chain is still on.

Get a bore scope and look in through the spark plug holes and see if you can see some minor nics in the piston tops.

Being careful with the spark plugs out, see if you can turn the crank a full 360°. Might have to pull the distributor if you have distributor drive gear issues. Then try again.

Would be nice if you can identify the real problem before pulling fhe engine.
I know what the problem is, the cam isn’t turning so it’s either the timing chain or the drive gears or something came loose in that area.

Bet the upper cam gear sprocket is no longer turning the cam. Bet there is a roller cam in there.

Bought it 4 weeks ago at Gateway classic cars in Denver. It was running well when I test drove it and ran well for a while after I got it home. I knew that it was built to drag race, all high quality stuff and very well executed. It’s a beautiful car.
So, what situation did it die in?
I mean, if your bouncing of the rev limiter when it went silent, yeah, you might as well pull it
But if it was very low rpm situation, you may be ok

I think if it were me, I'd pop the radiator out and take the front cover of to see whats going on

Not too much more work, and some of it needs to get done to pull the engine anyway

U can have all the best parts money can buy and still get a bad part. The person assambling it has 1 little oops and it turns into a giant catastrophe. Kim

Not too hard to pull the drive train out intact out the top if you raise the rear high and keep the front low. Otherwise, out the bottom is also pretty easy, but you need to disconnect the steering. You can also pull the front of the motor apart without pulling the radiator, but it's gonna have to come out anyway so might as well do that first.

-
Back