Pulling Slant 6 Without Removing Transmission

-

CaseyW

Reaction score
I'm trying to pull my slant 6 from a 63 Valiant without having to remove the drive shaft, transmission and bell housing. i've got everything unbolted, but the engine and flywheel/clutch assembly won't pull away from the bell housing. Am i missing something? i have the tranny jacked up a tad so it doesn't drop out and the motor mounts and clutch fork are unhooked.

remove the fan and radiator. crane up the motor a little, then remove the mounts from the engine block. lower the engine and pull forward...

can of squirrel piss shift linkage starter exhaust manifold electronics

got a bolt in yet? they got a tie brace

I would pull it all, use the rear threaded boss on the head and hoist the whole thing out. You may have to pry the trans back off the pilot bearing as it is sitting cocked now.

remove the fan and radiator. crane up the motor a little, then remove the mounts from the engine block. lower the engine and pull forward...

All done already.

Did you remove the 4 bolts attaching the flex plate to the bell housing?

Manual transmission
i thought it was a stick?

you thought right :)

can of squirrel piss shift linkage starter exhaust manifold electronics

got a bolt in yet? they got a tie brace

All that is pulled

I would pull it all, use the rear threaded boss on the head and hoist the whole thing out. You may have to pry the trans back off the pilot bearing as it is sitting cocked now.

Head is off already... i think I , may have the engine tilting back and its putting pressure one the tranny. Should I be able to pry the engine forward off the pilot bushing?

grab the water pump and wiggle it up and down.

a pic would really do good...

grab the water pump and wiggle it up and down.

a pic would really do good...

water pump is off. maybe my question is unclear. im trying to pull the engine... I've disconnected and unbolted everything. im having trouble getting the engine to separate from the bell housing and transmission, i dont want to have to remove them.

water pump is off. maybe my question is unclear. im trying to pull the engine... I've disconnected and unbolted everything. im having trouble getting the engine to separate from the bell housing and transmission, i dont want to have to remove them.

nope i get it... your going to have to get everything even so all the weight of the trans is on a jack, and the motor on the crane. then they will slide apart. any weight on the trans thru the engine and they will not separate. i asked for a pic as i bet you have it pretty steep already, wont come apart that way...

as i said just pull the mounts off the motor and lower it a bit, jack up the trans and it will fall apart...

nope i get it... your going to have to get everything even so all the weight of the trans is on a jack, and the motor on the crane. then they will slide apart. any weight on the trans thru the engine and they will not separate. i asked for a pic as i bet you have it pretty steep already, wont come apart that way...

as i said just pull the mounts off the motor and lower it a bit, jack up the trans and it will fall apart...

Cool, thanks for the advice. I'll give it a whirl tomorrow and report back

If you have the head off how are you supporting motor. The lift points are on the head first hole on the front of head is engine only you attach both front lift point and back to pull engine and tranny together. Use those threaded holes you cant go wrong. Thats not me thats factory procedure. I think its easier to pull both at the same time just my opinion. Sounds like you have tension on somewhere or a bolt. I have slapped mine with a rubber mallet once or twice and they seperated when leaving the tranny in and removing the engine alone. that was just from years of being connected. Do you have anything supporting the transmission? Good luck

Its all about the angle of the dangle.....give a wiggle and a jiggle. Is there a small gap between the block and the bell housing to stick a prybar? If there is no gap at all you might have forgotten a bolt somewhere.

A nylon strap around the torsion bars would have supported the trans in nearly its original position and allowed some movement too. I guess that doesn't help now.
it will come apart eventually. Fighting it back together might be just as much fun.
The thing to remember when going back together is draw it straight working around evenly. If you use 1 or 2 bolts to draw them together you could crack your bell housing.
Good luck with it.

Bolted the bell housing back on and just pulled the whole unit. couldnt get the right angle to pull just the engine :( hopefully i remember where everything goes:/

How i took the engine out of mine with a bit of 50 mm angle bolted to the head in the hole on top/centre.Came out at near perfect angle as you can see.
mylug-1.jpg

It was kinda tough to get mine out and away from the clutch and I remember thinking its gonna be even harder to get it to all line back up again.

I will be pulling engine and trans together as one, and go back as one
I am going to have this nice pull plate made up at my friends shop over the hill.
This is a must have for us I believe and it came from the factory that put it in a Tug (air port working machine) and as you can see there is a hole for pulling just the engine and a hole for pulling eng and Trans .

Attachments

• sept2011mopargarage67076.jpg
    58.1 KB · Views: 457
Somebody said that the 2 bolts on the head are to use the front one for lifting the engine alone and the rear one for the engine & tranny together. MeMike's special plate (factory?) seems to make more sense. However, I wonder if there are different ones for manual and auto trannys.

Nice item memike.
Thank you, I hope to have one soon :hello2:

Somebody said that the 2 bolts on the head are to use the front one for lifting the engine alone and the rear one for the engine & tranny together. MeMike's special plate (factory?) seems to make more sense. However, I wonder if there are different ones for manual and auto
trannys.

Same for ether, I am going to make one out of cardboard and then take it to my friends shop over the hill and have him/us make one just like the one I posted, then if just the engine needs to be lifted out I will put my hook on the front hole in the bracket , I would not pull an engine with just one bolt going to the head, just me..

-
Back