Pulling wires...

-
Unless your pulling underground...
Where I work, we put a pull point every 50 feet and never more than 360 degrees of bend.
You may wanna check an Ugly's book to see if that much wire will fit 2" conduit.
Ugly's book also shows you how to tie a knot.
You can use a Chinese handcuff to pull also.

:burnout:

Have fun with that! I get tweaked shoving 8-4 through some 1"....

I strapped a big ole 1/2 elec drill to a chunk of 2x12 to stand on. Put a 1/2 nut and bolt thru a 2 inch+ fan spacer, or a suitable small pulley, and wrap the tether around the spacer/pulley/capstan, let the drill pull the wire.

Takes a bit of practice, saves a lotta tuggin,, use lotsa lube..

cheers

I wish you the best of luck............though I thought per code you could not go more than 100 ft with out a pull station.

In any event, lube, lots of lube, a good Kellem grip to grab a hold of the wire, 4 good friends to help pull the rope.

Worst wire pull I was ever involved with was at the Spokane Transit "bus garage" downtown. This is when I worked for Motorola. We were installing some remote control (console) radio gear, and had to pull a control cable, a Motorola proprietary cable, from the building ACROSS THE STREET, up into the telco room. I'm sure "we were just lucky." this was a conduit which already had some control and internet cables (low voltage) and had a pull tape. The "right" way to do this would have been to disconnect all the cables (impossible as it was "in operation") pull them all out and re-pull, or (perish the thought) some of the Federal grant money should have been spent on EXTRA conduits instead of coffee pots and artwork.

I have no idea whether the conduits were under the street, or contained under the skywalk

This building is secured, with credit card scan style ID entrance, and the pubic never gets to see these offices. Nevertheless, there is **** like down one hallway, on the way to the lavatories, is a "fake" bus dashboard and wheel inset into the walls, so the "boy" in you can "drive the bus" while wasting time.

Huge, expensive old photos and prints adorn the walls, with typical expensive ceramic floors.

Then you go downstairs, and the dispatchers are crowded into a narrow room with poor heat. They actually had electric heaters under their desk to keep warm. It was a ridiculous contrast in money and (administrator) priviledge vs "the worker bees" in the "mines."

Attachments

• busses.jpg
    19.7 KB · Views: 148
I wish you the best of luck............though I thought per code you could not go more than 100 ft with out a pull station.

In any event, lube, lots of lube, a good Kellem grip to grab a hold of the wire, 4 good friends to help pull the rope.
Splice a power supply?

We are thru the first 90* & 45*. Pretty sure we are thru the second 45*. Very slow going now. Have the pull string wrapped around a 4×4, one end of it laying in the tractor bucket while Ernie is lifting the other side. Give the wires a push...walk the 160' back to Ernie....roll the 4×4 over...Ernie puts tension on it...160' back to the panel...push a few inches in and start walking. Used half,the bottle of lube already. Hope the string holds up...rated at 225 pounds of pull...so far so good..

Splice a power supply?

No.......... just a pull box in line.
Pull to the pull box, then pull rest of the way so as your not pulling thru all bends....Savvy???
In effect your just pulling 1/2 the distance at a time.

No.......... just a pull box in line.
Pull to the pull box, then pull rest of the way so as your not pulling thru all bends....Savvy???
In effect your just pulling 1/2 the distance at a time.

Got it....

Right now we have 2 services. A 200 amp on the hose and a 400 amp on the garage. Avatar, our power company, told us that the rates were going to be the same....the rates for the garage are 65% higher. Will be tying the house into the garage in the future. This one will have 3 90% sweeps. Not looking forward to it. Breaker box on the house will need to be replaced at the same time. Good times...

I worked for Verizon, I've been retired for a while now. I watched the Line gang pull a 3600 pair icky pic (jelly filled plastic insulation) cable through 2- 90 degree elbows. The conduit at the apex rose up and almost out of the ground. They've stuck cable and abandoned it, broke winches, tore the cable sheath. The worst I ever had was working with a electrician friend pulling a 1200 amp service through 4" conduit. That was 25 years ago and I still hurt! The phone company had 5 gallon pails of cable grease that you packed around the cable as it ran down the chute and into the conduit. We used dish detergent to pull small wire, it worked well for us. Good luck!!!!

-
Back