Put my car in a car show yesterday... Was not as fun as I thought it would be

-
I don't drive my Signet just to show it and I avoid Mopar meets ever since the Nationals at Englishtown in the 90's.
I do however go to every outdoor show with my Signet whether for rat rods or customs of all kinds and bring my alarm system with me, Belle and Murf as you can see here. My car is always appreciated by hot rodders and custom car people alike, the only people who have something negative to say have been Mopar persons who have the X on stupidity with purest questions as to why???

People love my Signet the way it's dialed in, from it's stance to it's sound..

I enjoy shows and cruises, but there always seems to be some dumb s.o.b that does something stupid. I now leave my windows up. Have had idiots poke at my dash and headliner. They are both new but really?... WTF!!!! My father and I went to a local show and we decided to leave our cars to go look at others. We returned just in time to see some guy using my fathers 68 GTS as a park bench. Foot on front bumper and basically sitting on the grill. He got quite an ear full and came very close to getting knocked the hell out. The world is full of ignorant people... I wouldn't sweat it. Enjoy your car. At least you are driving yours.

yep, like everyone says don't sweat it. you could pull in with a car that one autorama and someone will come along and nit pick it. i found the most fun i have with my car is at the drag strip, you don't get the stupid comments and everyone is there to do the same thing with there cars, run the snot out of em. it seems like when i go to a cruise everybody there want to tell me how much faster there car is, funny thing is when i say lets put some skin on it, i never have any takers... :bs: i really get tired of the lawn chair racers.

I agree wholeheartedly :burnout:

Hey!
I think i've seen your car on t.v., your name is Todd right?
Todd's cool.

All jokes aside, i can see why you would be disappointed. Nobody likes to have their car put down by anyone.
But, you might as well get used to it, because that's the way it just is in the car hobby.
I've heard it all from ''why is this p.o.s. here?'' to ''what a cool car'' and frankly i really don't care what people think about or say about my car anymore. I built it for my satisfaction and not every one else's.
So, go ahead and pick it apart i said to one guy. I also said that at least i know all of the flaws and i challenged him to find them. I explained that why i know all of the flaws and that's because i've either had a hand in creating them or they were there all along and i know this because i've had my grubby hands over every inch of this car and many more like it over the years. I asked him how many cars has he fixed up or worked on extensively over the years? He said none. I then said, shut the f*** up, because you don't know **** about cars and to keep his comments to himself, and that's not just my car it's everyone else's.
I find that i pick apart people's attitudes at shows, and not the cars.
That's the fun part of going to a car show to me, not showing the car.

I was at DSR in indy last friday before the nationals at their open show and had some "car guy" ask what year my tempest was. Go have fun look at othe cars and (I know it hard see other post) have fun.

I wouldn't worry about it. Kid probably thought it was Nova anyways!:D And someone will always think they can do a better job, but I guarantee they don't have a clue at the time, effort and money it takes to get one on the road!

Yep agree with everyone on the comments--We only do All mopar shows as few as there is around here,We have more fun driving to and from the shows and going on cruises,Keep your head up and be proud of the work u have in the car,the one thing nobody see's is the bloody knuckles,the sweat and sometimes tears that go into these cars,You can bet that kid's dad is paying for his car and the repairs and will miss a valuable lesson in life,Enjoy your car what EVER shape it is in,If you want to chase trophy's like some do eventually the too collect dust but you will remember every time the wrench slipped or that damn bolt that wouldn't go in,"Life is to short" to sweat the small stuff and with cars it is ALL small stuff----Steve

People today are very rude. I was walking out of Sam's Club here and there was an arab guy with his two sons behind me. He was talking to his son's in Arabic. I turned around, then his two sons looked at me and covered their mouths (like "oh ****, you're busted dad"). The father then aplologozed to me. (they thought that I understood Arabic and knew what they said. I didn't, but pretended that I did. I knew their dad was making fun of my weight). So I acted like I knew what they said and walked away without saying anything, just gave them dirty look.... His son's reaction was so classic, covering his mouth like, "Dad, he just busted your ***!"

I have been doing the car show/cruise in thing since 1989 every car was built by myself and friends to my liking I don't care what others say [opinions are like assholes everybody has one and most of em stink]. I go for the other cars, to look around, maybe get some ideas that I could modify to use on my car and to talk to other gearheads. There way too many people that attend these things that are [trophy/attention whores] and are real problems if they don't get their way. I only attend one Mopar only event every year because the man is a friend, an all around great person, a fellow Mopar collector and I always have a great time at his event [yes there are a few nose in the air folks there] but they are everywhere. I love this hobby more than anything [except family] and nothing will spoil it for me I don't have much money to spend on my car [never have never will] but i'm proud of what I do have and I love showing it off!!! Don't let the bad comments spoil it for you or like Inkjunkie said "if you can't take the bad with the good, then don't go". I'm here to tell ya out of 25 people that look at your car 10 may know what it is 5 may have a story 2 may know about Mopars! My car is 47 years old mostly original with a cosmetic restoration done in 1996 it's far from a show car but I go to every show/cruise in I can afford to go to, it's my relaxation and my passion!!!!! Just go and have fun!!!! 68 hemi GTS drag racing is way cool, but I was raised to go around in circles [grew up around mini stocks, figure eights and late models]!!!!!!!!!!!!

Attachments

• 102_3278.jpg
    91.3 KB · Views: 273
  • 102_3199.jpg
    100.8 KB · Views: 264
I don't drive my Signet just to show it and I avoid Mopar meets ever since the Nationals at Englishtown in the 90's.
I do however go to every outdoor show with my Signet whether for rat rods or customs of all kinds and bring my alarm system with me, Belle and Murf as you can see here. My car is always appreciated by hot rodders and custom car people alike, the only people who have something negative to say have been Mopar persons who have the X on stupidity with purest questions as to why???

People love my Signet the way it's dialed in, from it's stance to it's sound..
That's a nice car I would drive the **** outta this!!!! Great job!!!!

I would not take it to heart. As long as you are proud and enjoy your car, who cares what other ignorant people think. My car has been in shows, and I get some questions and comments, but in the end my car is there for me and because of me...so all that matters is how I enjoy my car.:glasses7:

Attachments

• 20130701_105440b.jpg
    96.9 KB · Views: 255
I go to cruises do not care what people say i like my duster the way it is never entered a show though ive never really ran into any aholes associate with mopar people just go to have fun take it lite!!!

Attachments

• 002.jpg
    99.9 KB · Views: 274
Who cares what some punk kid said? Don't let some idiot keep you from doing something you enjoy.

I've given up on car "shows", because that's what they are.

Tired of seeing blown Camaro's with 10-Bolt rear axle's, then watching the attendee's borderline-fellate the car's owner. Makes me sick. I require AT LEAST SOME SUBSTANCE with my STYLE, please.

It's why I prefer the local drags with primered Oldsmobiles and 11-second Maverick's over ANY car show. Those guy's don't give an F about some all-original Boss Mustang that has never seen a drop of rain... and neither do I, and neither should anyone who turns their own wrenches!!

I don't go to shows very often, they are boring. I have found the mopar only ones are the worst for snotty attitudes.

Car shows are almost always run by a "click" of guys, Local shows for sure. In my town that has several each yea,, Same Guys cars win every time.Don't matter how many cars show up. I'm going today,"Guaranteee" Leo's 55 Chevy will win something,a car that he bought turn key and don't know a hammer from a screwdriver.

XS1000 ....years ago I had a restored 70 cuda and it was never good enough for the snooty E-body guys ...then later when I was into A-bodies, none of them ever wanted to park next to a Dart ....I guess my dart was Leper.

the mopar only shows are wayyy worse than mixed shows .....but around here the mixed shows are usually dominated by low-riders ....and the low riders around here have proven to be much more polite with their comments and attitudes but they still find it hard to appreciate an original appearing car.

so now I don't go to any

I've never had my '74 to a car show, its never been photographed by people (and people have never asked to have their picture taken with it).

I had people nit-pick about it not being correct (back when it wasn't a 71 Clone. Back then the exterior was all '74). Did that hurt? A little, because it is my baby and I was proud of it. Did it really bother me enough to not drive it? No.

What I enjoyed, was that people would wave and give me the thumbs up as I drove it around. What made me even happier, was when some kid on a bicycle stopped and yelled "Light em up!" when I was getting ready to pull out :D The best thing in the world though? Just driving it, that was all I needed. It could have been hideous to everyone else on the planet, and it wouldn't have mattered, because it was my car and I loved it.

That's a nice car I would drive the **** outta this!!!! Great job!!!!

My 64 Signet is my daily driver and I do drive the **** out of it. Yet when I take to the highways, I drive my bullet, too secret to let just anyone know..

THIS^^^^^^

I have done this a few times when someone nit picks my car. The response is priceless most times, "Well, I don't have one".

X3 I use that line constantly , followed by the " meet me at the track with a fist full of hundreds and we'll find out whats what " for the guys with the all sound no go cars , funny thing my car has never had to go down the track yet .

At the Mopar Nats Bad Little Red entered his outstanding Red on Red on Red Duster and didn't get any kudos so we made him a special trophy!

and i tell you what i had more fun after the special trophy it means more to me then the 10.00 trophy they give , they are always going to be better looking cars in everyone eyes i ve been to shows and saw better looking and details of a car and no one even looked twice at them ive been told i killed my car by dont going back to stock other saids dont change a thing some will said i would have done this and that if your happy thats all such matter .................. badlilred is happy

Eh, don't let it get you down, I'm sure he didn't mean anything by it. He has no real idea what's involved in building a car obviously.

There will always be critics, but you don't see any statues erected to them for a reason.

Nice ride. :prayer:

Yup, brush it off, there are jerks at every show, even Mopar shows. I think your Duster looks great and would be proud to own a car that nice. My cars are in driver condition, usually only enter shows to have fun. My Valiant is far from show condition, it has some rust in the lower quarters and the paint is old with scratches, seat also has a rip in it. I did a lot of work on it over the years but still far from done, mainly just having fun with it now. I have been told some nice things at shows about my car like "cool and awesome" but also a few that were not very good, people who can't say anything nice should keep their mouth shut, especially since they probably don't even have a car. Sometimes its hard to not say something negative about a car you see, I have done it before too, but usually make sure the owner is not around. I have always liked all old cars but am a Die Hard Mopar guy to the Max...but I have recently been giving other brand cars at shows the same respect I give to Mopars. Lots of blood, sweat, tears, and money have been put into all the cars you see at shows and the people are all proud of their ride, no matter what it is.

Enjoy your car and don't let these a$$hats get you down :glasses7:

My thoughts are:

Enjoy your car! If you don't have fun going to a local show then don't go.

But don't let someone that might not have a clue about cars bother you.

I've had a similar experience with someone telling me how pretty and perfect their stuff would be IF they had it. It was kinda like the guy saying if he had a girlfriend she would be more attractive than someone's real girlfriend.

Who cares about a field of shiny beautiful cars [eye candy] there's a large percentage of their owners paid someone to make pretty, I want to see the works in progress the cars that guys like me are workin on, those are the trophy cars in my opinion those are the guys that work that extra 20 hours every week or two to be able to buy something for their car, those are the cars that'll have the interesting setups and hand made details that puts it over the top. I make it a point when I go to shows while i'm walking around [don't matter what brand] if I see a work in progress or a guy who's got a primered car and no ones looking at it I take the time to go check it out and talk to the folks sometimes you'll be amazed at what's really there and the owners are nice folks. The best trophy you can get is somebody admiring your car and saying "you did a great job" that's better'n any trophy!!!!!!

It's why I prefer the local drags with primered Oldsmobiles and 11-second Maverick's over ANY car show. Those guy's don't give an F about some all-original Boss Mustang that has never seen a drop of rain... and neither do I, and neither should anyone who turns their own wrenches!!

This. When i was young car shows were cool, now its always the same old people with the cars that they don't work on or work to keep 100% factory stock.(who the hell wants to drive 100% 70s oem technology?)

These days i'd have more fun at a drag strip with nothing but hondas than at a car show with all of my favorite cars.

-
Back