Quality of cams --- Summit?

-

318willrun

Utube channel 318willrun
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Just wondering about what your experiences are on camshaft/lifter kits that will see lots of miles throughout the year (and years to come). I've ran the MP cams without issue for years in cars. This is a two-part question:
1). New cam vs. Re-ground cams. Are the Comp cams, Crane cams, Summit cams etc. etc. new or do some regrind? And do the re-grinds last as long as new?? I've never had a cam reground......
2). Looking at the Summit cams, are they in for the long haul?? Or, is it true, you get what you pay for.... 117.00 vs 200.00 +

REAL life experiences are preferred over opinions.... :D

Name brand companies start with new cores.I've never had a reground but many Have written here about Oregon Cam Grinders with great success.Try a search here.I have used Cams for small Blocks from Edelbrock.I had a Summit brand in a 66 Charger with a 360 that was installed back in 1996 and driven cross country on several Hot Rod Power Tours. Car has changed hands over the years but is still going strong.I think the house brand Summit or Jegs are made by the same company. I just installed a Jegs # 200161 in a 273 but have not driven it yet.

The biggest issue with regrinds is you are restricted to what can be done by what you send them. That's typically why I don't bother with them. The others all use new cam cores, and I believe they all get them from the same source (like lifters). It's not the blank that is the critical part - but the actual grinding. Generally the more aggressive the lobe, the higher the spring pressure, and the more idle time and cold starting it has, the faster it will wear out. That being said I've got some flat tappets that are daily driven in the summer and have over 20K on them. It's about choosing the right cam for your reality.

I had a big block Crane HMV cam years ago and the specs were almost exactly the same as the Summit cam. I guessed that Crane made them for Summit, but I may be off base.

Yeah, I've never had a problem with the MP cams. I have a crane in a motor now. I was thinking on a Summit cam (mild) for a different project but didn't know if they were a re-grind, or new. 117 bucks is tempting vs. 200+. Also didn't know if the Summit was a cam that would run a long time. If the factory units could roll 200k like nothing, I don't want one that needs to be replaced in 30k. I'm looking at the Summit cam kit that's close to the 340 cam for a 318. It's 80 bucks cheaper than the Comp.

Sedanman has a Summit grind in the valiant that we just got started for the first time last month. I would have to find where the thread is on it, as he has some videos linked in there. It sounds great and he put some good rubber down moving it in and out of his driveway without revving it over 3000 RPM... 218/228 @.050 and .441" lift...

The Summit Cams are ground by Crane. That is why when Crane went under, you saw the Summit line slip as far as being in stock. Since S&S Cycles has bought Crane, all is well again. Except their prices.

Thanks guys. RRR, thanks for the insight/history of the summit cams. Sounds like they are good cams/lifters.

Put a Summit brand cam and lifters in the fury 14 years ago and been on the road for 12 yrs. No issues.

The Summit Cams are ground by Crane. That is why when Crane went under, you saw the Summit line slip as far as being in stock. Since S&S Cycles has bought Crane, all is well again. Except their prices.

X2
Crane grinds them and they even come with the package of the good breakin lube that does not run off the lobes. I've used several and they are new, hi quality cams.

Thanks for putting this out there. RRR. Good info that I did not know. I put about 100k miles on a Crane cam back in the day... so went back to them here recently for the 340.

I haven't used any but a buddy has used a couple of them and both made good power and lasted long. He's hard on stuff so if it's not up to snuff it'll show

Summit Camshafts

Never hurt anyone in the Pocket Book.

Simply Put ........... One Durable Bump-Stick for a Street-Performer.

I only wish they made HALF the grinds in the Summit cams for Mopar as they do for Chevy.

I only wish they made HALF the grinds in the Summit cams for Mopar as they do for Chevy.

We just have to go with effectiveness of the grind, not quantity of them.... O:)

(That's all I got...)

Summit 'Brand-X' Hydraulic Camshafts for Mopars

SUM-1789 ...... Small Block ......... .454" ~ 272* ..................... $101.97

SUM-6900 ...... Small Block ......... .421"/424" ~ 278*/288* ...... $71.97

SUM-6901 ...... Small Block ......... .441" ~ 276*/288* .............. $71.97

SUM-1798 ...... Small Block ......... .480" ~ 285* ..................... $101.97

SUM-6401 ...... Big Block ............ .466"/.488" ~ 298*/303* ...... $67.97

SUM-6400 ...... Big Block ............ .444"/.466" ~ 288*/298* ...... $71.97

For a 'Step Up' in Quality

Mopar Performance Camshafts available from Summit

Big Block
Hydraulic ........ 9
Mechanical ...... 4

Small Block
Hydraulic ........ 5
Mechanical ...... 4

426 Hemi
Hydraulic ........ 1
Mechanical ..... N/A

"For a 'Step Up' in Quality

Mopar Performance Camshafts available from Summit"

It's unusual for you to be so far off base... No way is any cam produced by MP in the last 10 years in any way superior to the product Summit buys and brands to themselves. MP cams are the absolutely worst production quality one can find. Have been since the 90s.

"For a 'Step Up' in Quality

Mopar Performance Camshafts available from Summit"

It's unusual for you to be so far off base... No way is any cam produced by MP in the last 10 years in any way superior to the product Summit buys and brands to themselves. MP cams are the absolutely worst production quality one can find. Have been since the 90s.

I know that's right. I would run a Melling/TRW/Elgin LONG before any MP cam nowadays.

-
Back