Quarter panel removal?

-

BIG DOG

Reaction score
What are the chances of me being able to remove the quarter and replace it without to much damage? The wheel well and quarter extension are already out .I would need to remove the sail lead, the spots at door and sill, along the trunk and the hardest looks like the the pinch on top of the trunk area.
My car had some holes in the wheel wells that allowed water to get in above the wells .So now I have some suface rust up in there but it is one hell of a place to get at.I have cut out the wells and can now get at the area but can't blast the area. I have been able to get a wire wheel in there and sanding discs and such and have it pretty well cleaned up but not perfect due to the limited ability to move and reach with a tool.I was going to use KBS coatings and then put it all back together but I'm not getting a real warm fuzzy feeling about it.So I really feel I have to remove the quarter to do it right! Any thoughts ideas sugestions would be appreciated!
Thanks!

KBS is suppose to be the same as por-15 and that's what I was going to do.Thant's the easy way out, guess I'm going to take the quarter off already drilled all the spot welds for the floor out! Such is the way with north east cars I guess! Were you able to reuse the quarter and how about the area ahead of the trunk that 6-7" seam?
Thanks!

Don't remove the 1/4 for that!!!!!

Go to your local paint supply store and ask for a gallon of GEM. Don't ask, just use it and you will be totally satisfied! I use it on everything! Use a squirt bottle and get busy. If you can't reach certain spots get a 360 nozzle for a cheap yard sprayer.

Here is a link to the stuff. http://www.gemrustkiller.com/index.html

It really works! I had this stuff dripping out of every crack and crevise beneath my Cuda. I sprayed it all inside the 1/4's, roof rails, rockers, cowl and frame rails too. It runs around $18 a gallon.

http://www.gemrustkiller.com/index.html

Are you replacing the quarter (as stated in your first post) or re-using it as stated in post#5???

I agree with CUUDAK dont cut it off unless your replacing it.

No I want to take the quarter off get at the rust behind it and replace the same original quarter back on the car.Believe me I really don't want too the car has original quarters. But I don't want to 1/2 *** it ! I can't see getting at the rust the way it should be......thoughts please.

Get some rust encapsulator and spray it up in there

After you remove the quarter you will see more surface rust in the upper sail anyway

No I want to take the quarter off get at the rust behind it and replace the same original quarter back on the car.Believe me I really don't want too the car has original quarters. But I don't want to 1/2 *** it ! I can't see getting at the rust the way it should be......thoughts please.

Um, ok!
Its not half-*** but your choice. Now your going to need to restore the corrosion protection. GEM does that too.

Oh man...... I thought we were talking about a replacement here.

Removing the 1/4 is not the way to go after some surface runs on the inside. CUUDAK has it right in post #6 but it sounds like you are way beyond that point.

Um, ok!
Its not half-*** but your choice. Now your going to need to restore the corrosion protection. GEM does that too.

Sorry I didn't mean to imply that I thought GEM was 1/2 assing I just meant in general I don't want to.But I also don't really want to remove the quarter so there are only so many things I can do.I have taken the whole rear of my car apart.I made a wooden buck and fabed my own wheel wells.So the wheel wells,trunk pan,trunk extensions ,and rear panel are all out of my car .I really want to start putting it back together.I doubt that I can find the Gem stuff you talk about up here I'll have to check into that.I do know I can get some phospheric acid?
Thanks!
Here is a pic or 2 no making fun of my junk! some of you southern US guys would junk a car like this!

Attachments

• wheel well 023.jpg
    82.8 KB · Views: 298
  • wheel well 004.jpg
    107 KB · Views: 292
  • wheel well 010.jpg
    123.7 KB · Views: 301
  • wheel well 012.jpg
    89.4 KB · Views: 289
CUUDAC just as I suspected I can't get GEM anywhere in Canada that I can find.So I'd have to have it shipped in which I suspect they will need a arm and leg for where it's a chemical.Looks like it would be good stuff I like the fact that it is watery that way it would seep into places.Does it stay kinda wet after or does it dry up? I'm thinking if I can't get any of this stuff That I might use phospheric acid just because I can spray it all then paint it after.Brushing stuff up in there isn't really going to get everywhere I don't think.
Thanks!

Thanks rjsjea I showed the pics and everyones like oh **** Run! LOL!
If it wasn't in my garage I'd sand blast it .It's on a rotisserie but just two frame rails out the back and only 1 wheel well welded in .I have it sitting on jack stands now but I'm afraid that if I try to wheel it out of the garage it will fold up so here I am. The GEM stuff sounds really good but I can't find a place that sells it in Canada and I already have the KBS coating so that is probablty what it will get.
Thanks!

There are several different rust converters available. I've used one called neutraRust and applied with a brush or spray bottle, forced it into nooks and crannies with compressed air.
Even poured it into doors until it dripped from the weep holes.
I've got a 8.25 rear end on stands in the back yard that was brush coated with Rust Ender over a year ago. It still looks fine.

personally, i would never take a quarter off just to inhibit that little bit of surface rust. there are plenty of rust encapsulator products that can be shot up in there. it looks to me that even if you did nothing with it, it would take another 20 years before it rusted through. i agree with rjsjea, neutralize it, and move on, you will save yourself a ton of basically unnecessary work. unless it really bothers you that much, then nothing we can say here will stop you from ripping the quarter off, but any good product you put on it will outlast the life you have with the car IMO...my $0.02

CUUDAC just as I suspected I can't get GEM anywhere in Canada that I can find.So I'd have to have it shipped in which I suspect they will need a arm and leg for where it's a chemical.Looks like it would be good stuff I like the fact that it is watery that way it would seep into places.Does it stay kinda wet after or does it dry up? I'm thinking if I can't get any of this stuff That I might use phospheric acid just because I can spray it all then paint it after.Brushing stuff up in there isn't really going to get everywhere I don't think.
Thanks!

Call them, I bet they will ship it at a reasonable cost as far as shipping is concerned. The contact number is listed on that site I linked.

If you look at the msds for gem you will see that it is basically just phosphoric acid. That is all most rust convertors are. The reaction of ferric oxide and phosphoric acid produces iron phosphate, unless my old chemistry knowledge has gone bad.

-
Back