Quiet exhaust recommendations?

-

Username

Reaction score
Hi, I was hoping somebody had some suggestions for some quality quiet cans for a mild 360 with long tubes into 2 1/4 pipes. I have a 75 power wagon and my 71 Scamp both with flowmaster 40's and would like to have the car be a little sneakier sounding while still flowing nice. Was just going to dump the new exhaust in front of the rear axle with some quieter mufflers and maybe cutouts??? Thanks in advance-

Do a search on mufflers. We have a memeber that makes mufflers.

Off the shelf quite mufflers? Summit/Jegs have there own.
I have used and liked the Thrush Turbo.

We put a set of Dynomax on our Dart wagon and they are nice and quiet at idle, but rumble when you get the rpm's up.

get rid of the flowmasters. Use a Super Turbo muffler.

My 2c....

Look at Cherry Bomb Vortex.... Looks interesting.

Super Turbo... Love those too great sound.

Chief is right about that one. When I had my Thrush Turbo's running to the back, it was described as "Hushed Violence" by a few. Not bad at cruise. Not toooo loud at wide open throttle to cause a stir.

Dynomax super turbos for sure. Use a lager case one though. The smaller ones are on the louder side. Not near as bad as a flowmaster though.

Walker used to make a line of stock sounding mufflers that flowed better than stock. It was not the Dynomax but had another name. I forget what it was. They were the same size and shape as the stock mufflers but had high flow tubes and baffles. I used them a few times and I really liked how they sounded. Very quiet.

I don't remember, Tim. I know they were pretty popular back in the mid to late 80s. They were considered a stock replacement type muffler, but supposedly offered better flow. I had some on a Dart I had back then and I really liked up. Sounded stock. Made the car nice and quiet. ALL the noise was right at the back of the car.

Dynomax super turbos for sure. The smaller ones are on the louder side. Not near as bad as a flowmaster though.

The exact same thing I found out. The short ones are just loud enough to drone at cruise speed. Replaced them with the longer Dynomax super turbo #17748. The drone went away, you can talk at highway speeds, still has a performance sound.....heads turn as you go by.
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/wlk-17748

I notice your driving a 4x4. Same here, my superturbos are on a 67 Ford 3/4ton 4x4 with 428 engine. Exhaust is cheap headers, then 3 inch pipe to the mufflers. The superturbos are under the truck bed, in front of the rear axle, exhaust dumps straight back out of the mufflers, no downturns. Works and sounds great.

The exact same thing I found out. The short ones are just loud enough to drone at cruise speed. Replaced them with the longer Dynomax super turbo #17748. The drone went away, you can talk at highway speeds, still has a performance sound.....heads turn as you go by.
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/wlk-17748

i had these.. http://www.summitracing.com/parts/wlk-17793/overview/ they are 3". when i first put them on friends busted my balls about how quiet it was. but after i got some miles on it they were just loud enough for me. like ya said you could actually have a conversation inside the car which was nice..lool

That's Tom Hand. VOETOM is his screen name.

Dynomax super turbos for sure. Use a lager case one though. The smaller ones are on the louder side. Not near as bad as a flowmaster though.

Yes, the larger ones definately sound better.

We were happy with the Dynomax super turbos also. :cheers:

Thanks for the replies. I found a sound thing on youtube ( [ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ORGyLVmFqmY"]Dynomax Muffler Demonstration - YouTube[/ame] )that goes through all the walker mufflers(including Thrush) and the super turbos sound like a good compromise. I found them for around $30-40 a piece on amazon so I'm givin' them a shot. Thanks again

here ya go. this is the big case 3" muffler with X-pipe on my dart. the video distorts it a bit., in person it wasn't as loud sounding and was deeper sounding...

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f7f9x4FKO6I"]dart exhaust - YouTube[/ame]

go with the dynamax super turbos. I've wasted a lot of money trying mufflers then not liking them, flowmaster super 40's and magnaflow ss were both way too loud. On my LRT the tailpipe dumps at my left ear

I ran thrush turbo 400's for years, loved the sound. I replaced the headpipes this year with 2 1/2 and tried the super turbos. Just as quiet at normal driving but a little louder at wot than the thrush turbos. Nice deep sound at idle

Rob - id like to know if you mean the sound fx or their installer walker brand turbo muffler which is an oem replacement which I may try this summer

Rusty RatRod has a great memory. This is the Walker ad from their 1977 Wholesale Catalog, Weatherly 170. Note the hand-written price. :):)

Attachments

• Walker 1977 Perf Muf.pdf
    1.4 MB · Views: 510
go with the dynamax super turbos. I've wasted a lot of money trying mufflers then not liking them, flowmaster super 40's and magnaflow ss were both way too loud. On my LRT the tailpipe dumps at my left ear

I ran thrush turbo 400's for years, loved the sound. I replaced the headpipes this year with 2 1/2 and tried the super turbos. Just as quiet at normal driving but a little louder at wot than the thrush turbos. Nice deep sound at idle

I liked the old Thrush Sonic Turbos in the old days, they are not made anymore.

Now I run Dynomax super turbos.

-
Back