Radiator Slowly Dieing

-

jhdeval

Reaction score
So I stopped by a radiator shop today because I had noticed a leak. Turns out that my radiator is leaking from multiple places along the top and bottom edges. I asked about recoring since mine is still original and about 280. What do you think about the price? Any other suggestions for fixing it?

I sent my radiator to be recored to Glen-Ray radiators in WI, came back looking better then new.But they are expensive but worth every penny .

you might want to shop around a little. mine was busted up in an accident and was re-cored for $200 and thats in hawaii where everything costs more.

So I stopped by a radiator shop today because I had noticed a leak. Turns out that my radiator is leaking from multiple places along the top and bottom edges. I asked about recoring since mine is still original and about 280. What do you think about the price? Any other suggestions for fixing it?

so it's leaking where the tanks are soldered together? That's an easy fix there that doesn't require the radiator to be recored.

The radiator in my truck was leaking at the top tank, so i pulled it out of the truck, cleaned it up and resoldered the seams on the top & bottom tanks, pressurized it to check for leaks and then reinstalled it in the truck. That was 7-8 years ago and that radiator has been in 3 different trucks and is still working flawlessly.

i had one done in one of my darts.. recored about $300 bucks.. not many people do that anymore with the aftermarket rads out there and the alum ones.. but. i would def. recommend a recore...

so it's leaking where the tanks are soldered together? That's an easy fix there that doesn't require the radiator to be recored.

The radiator in my truck was leaking at the top tank, so i pulled it out of the truck, cleaned it up and resoldered the seams on the top & bottom tanks, pressurized it to check for leaks and then reinstalled it in the truck. That was 7-8 years ago and that radiator has been in 3 different trucks and is still working flawlessly.

Would this be any different then plumbing work? Could I simply buy some plumbing solder and use my propane torch to solder it? I am pretty capable.

It's on the same level as plumbing work, sweat the solder in for a good seal.

I prefer to use Lead Solder when I work on anything Cooling or Plumbing related, but it's hard to find good lead solder anymore.

Oh and good Flux/Acid too.

To pressure test it, Clamp a piece of Radiator Hose between the Inlet & Outlet on the radiator, install the Pressure Tester in where the radiator cap goes, pump the pressure up (I usually go 4 pounds more than what my cap is rated for, but you can stop at the cap rating if you want) and then spray the entire radiator with soapy water (dish liquid/soap and water in a spray bottle)

Bubbles means you've got a leak, if you see no bubbles, walk away for a while, tinker on another project and come back later to see if the pressure has bled off. If not, you're good to go.

-
Back