radio ideas

-

brian_nyk

Reaction score
Hi everyone, I wanted to get some ideas on the best place to mount a new radio and some front speakers in my 72 Duster. The original radio is still in and I did not want to remove it so I was thinking about mounting one under the dash. I have seen people put them in the glove box as well. I believe the stock speaker size for the back is 6x9 which is easy to replace but I wanted to put some additional speakers in the front since that one in the dash isn't going to cut it.

I haven't put the car totally back together since I am still waiting on new wire harnesses so I figured this is something I can at least get started while I wait for my parts on back order.

Do you guys have any ideas or suggestions based on what you have done with your rides?

There is a custom bracket that supports 2 small speakers in the OEM dash location. The source is/was a member here.
Hope this helps

If you don't want to cut your door panels, and a lot of people don't, maybe look for a pair of front kick panels in the interior parts for sale section. Save the originals, if they are good, paint the panels the right color and mount speakers there.

Mount the radio in the glove box or below the dash on a hanger and the speakers in the center dash location (2 speakers 1 hole)

could fabricate vertical panel over the tranny hump to lower portion of dash. gives room for radio, gauges and speakers or interior lights on the side. could also put in cup holders.

Attachments

• vertical c.jpg
    38.7 KB · Views: 394
  • vertical gauge panel.jpg
    43.7 KB · Views: 386
If your original factory radio is in perfect working condition and you want the stock look I would just stay with it. If the car is being modified and a stock appearance isn't critical, there are plenty of aftermarket radios that would be an upgrade. If you are concerned about cutting up the original radio plastic bezel I would suggest searching for an extra one off of here or on eBay.

For our '70 Roadrunner we didn't want to lose the factory radio (even though it didn't work) and we didn't want to butcher the factory bezel. So we bought a radio delete plate that we cut to fit the new radio that we installed. We saved the original pieces and stored them away. My son chose a JVC single din that has a cool wallpaper feature. It sounds great and I doubt he'll ever want to re-install the factory radio.

View attachment 26.jpg

View attachment 27.jpg

View attachment 28.jpg

View attachment 29.jpg

View attachment 30.JPG

View attachment 31.jpg

View attachment 32.jpg

View attachment 33.jpg

i got a 20 gauge piece of sheet metal, traced the outline of the stock speaker and cut it out with 2 x 4" holes in the middle

so now i have 2 x 4" speakers in the original dash mount

mounted my stereo in the dash, again i used a piece of 20 gauge sheet metal to make a bracket for the stereo

CD Player in my '73 340 Duster

AM/FM/8-Track in my '74 Duster, with a 10 Disc CD Changer and 10GB MP3 Player

I guttted the original AM Radio from my '74 and converted it to AM/FM (to replace the AM/FM/8-Track currently in the car), looks exactly like a factory AM/FM A-Body Radio from the outside, but has inputs for a Cassette Deck or CD Deck or MP3 Player. And it didn't cost me umpteen million dollars either (actually it didn't cost me anything at all, I had the supplies on hand)

Here's what the PO did on my Scamp. They wanted to leave the stock radio in place, so created this on hump:

Works well enough

There is a little box you can buy at best buy. It lined up perfect with two holes on the bottom of the dash right under the ash tray if I remember correctly. It worked great for me until I took it out and now my dad uses it in his car.

My car is a factory radio delete car,

I found a 4 speaker amplifier setup that uses ipod, or mp3 for audio input. And is 50w RMS per channel. This device is about 3"x5"x 1.5" can be hidden anywhere. It does not have a faceplate as its just essentially an amplifier using your phone or mp3 to feed the input to it. I'm prob going to get one of these. Its about $100. I figure i can run the plug for my phone between the seats coming out where the split is between the frt and rear carpet. A piece of velcro on the back of my phone to keep it in place on trans tunnel hump. Easy enough to tuck the wire next to the seat, with phone removed for car shows.

Nice thing is with pandora or any other music programming on your phone you dont need an antenna on the car either. It streams in via satellite. Go to evilbay and type in hidden audio. Its a silver box .

A nice clean hidden and uncluttered option.

Matt

Stock radio conversions are pretty slick but pricey AND don't include any additional
power amplification.
Kick panel speakers.........don't waste the money, buy some "under the seat"
speakers. They are well made, can handle high power, require no hacking , don't slide around and are discrete.
For $300 look into a SecretAudio system.
Mo betta!
Lots 'o power right outta the box.......no external amp(s) necessary but it has preamp outputs if you want them. Multi source capable.
Head unit mounts in the trunk. All you have up front is a small 2.5 x 5" LCD display.

This is a tits setup. A member on DC.com installed one in his '69 Charger.
I went with same same and installed 5x7" Polk Audio speaks in my package tray.

Yeah........I be rockin' yo!

My car is a factory radio delete car,

I found a 4 speaker amplifier setup that uses ipod, or mp3 for audio input. And is 50w RMS per channel. This device is about 3"x5"x 1.5" can be hidden anywhere. It does not have a faceplate as its just essentially an amplifier using your phone or mp3 to feed the input to it. I'm prob going to get one of these. Its about $100. I figure i can run the plug for my phone between the seats coming out where the split is between the frt and rear carpet. A piece of velcro on the back of my phone to keep it in place on trans tunnel hump. Easy enough to tuck the wire next to the seat, with phone removed for car shows.

Nice thing is with pandora or any other music programming on your phone you dont need an antenna on the car either. It streams in via satellite. Go to evilbay and type in hidden audio. Its a silver box .

A nice clean hidden and uncluttered option.

Matt

Those look interesting! Thanks for the info.

Hey Matt,
After seeing the gadget you linked, I found this:

Outofsightaudio.com

This is ideal for me, since I only use my phone anyway!

Go to evilbay and type in hidden audio. Its a silver box
Hey Matt, do you happen to have a link to the product you mentioned? I searched but couldn't find it. Finding a lot of spy stuff though! lol.

Brian, would you like to keep the current radio in place, have it be AM/FM, or is streaming Audio your priority?
This could be really inexpensive.
I can add audio input jack for peanuts and as a previous post mentioned, outboard power amps are cheap and work well.
I like to maintain factory appearance and function while hiding newer features.
A hacked dash is a jacked dash.
Tell more about how you'd really like it, and I can recommend something.
I have a degree in Radio Engineering.

I had my original 67 GTS am radio converted to FM stereo by The Radio Man from DFW area about 16-17 years ago. It drifts off the station and I can't seem fine tune it with the little screw behind the tuning knob. Any suggestions?

I had my original 67 GTS am radio converted to FM stereo by The Radio Man from DFW area about 16-17 years ago. It drifts off the station and I can't seem fine tune it with the little screw behind the tuning knob. Any suggestions?
Well, tuning drift IS a feature of FM tuning in simple mechanical tuners...but most designs had incorporated AFC by the late 60s.. The little trimmer cap adjustment is far adjusting while listening to a weak AM signal near the upper end of dial, like 1500.
Then adjust it for greatest volume.
That cap, combined with a coil if wire inside to let that little whip antenna act reasonably at only one meter, when the wave length for AM is 300 meters, say for AM 1000.

Well, tuning drift IS a feature of FM tuning in simple mechanical tuners...but most designs had incorporated AFC by the late 60s.. The little trimmer cap adjustment is far adjusting while listening to a weak AM signal near the upper end of dial, like 1500.
Then adjust it for greatest volume.
That cap, combined with a coil if wire inside to let that little whip antenna act reasonably at only one meter, when the wave length for AM is 300 meters, say for AM 1000.
I want to destroy spell change.

"for adjusting"
and
"reasonantly"

It tried to do it again....

didn't know if there was any more adjusting since it was converted to fm. Most of the time I am listening to that music from the 499" but on longer trips it would be nice

-
Back