Ram 98729 10.00 clutch

-
Im all about having plenty of wiggle room in the drive train dept! I know the weak link (like 66fs said) is the smaller clutch in our early A's. Cant wait to get it swapped! Only need a few little easy to get things yet & will have everything ready to go!

Keep us posted on the install and how it performs. It's pictured as a diagram but listed as a Borg&Beck. I hope it works for you.

TMM, since McLeod hasnt got back to me I decided to go with the ram 98729 clutch. I did call brewers & he said basically if you put to much power to it it wont hold. Well hell I know that! Didnt really give a power level that it was rated for. The ram disc is iron on the flywheel side & organic on p.p. side. The disc has 8 coil springs in the disc hub that are coated in polyurethane to take twice the shock ( what they say) & scalloped p.p. that has 30% more clamp force. So id think that should do it I hope!

The iron will be very hard on your flywheel & is not a good street choice if that's what you intend. RAM is also on my personal blacklist as they sold me a bum hemi pressure plate years ago but maybe it was just a fluke. I have a long memory when I get either very good or bad part. Like you I really wanted to keep the 9.5 bell & parts for my car but would highly recommend you go to the 10.5 for many reasons. This is after using a couple 9.5 setups including iron. The scalloped 10 PP may be OK for a taxi but I would not use it for an HP application if you value your feet, way too wimpy. Know it's hard to suck it up when you bought the stuff & means lots more $ but the 10.5 is the way to go, fits well & huge selection of discs/ PP's to choose from.

For you guys that like eye candy. I have not installed this yet but is a custom McLeod flywheel and street twin clutch. I do not know if I will encounter any interference yet. What I'm really excited about is a single 9.44 diaphragm clutch from Australia that is supposed to hold 365 Horse Power, but requires a custom flywheel bolt pattern. Same bolt pattern just another set at 30 degrees in between ours which is at 60 degrees. I have ordered a new flywheel and hope to install it this spring. More pictures to follow.

https://www.hemiperformance.com.au/...t-365bhp-suit-hemi-6-slant-6-small-block.html

396 signet, im a little to far along parts, time & $$$ at this point to do a 10.5 conversion now. Yes this is a street car always will be. I dont plan on doing anything more the engine @ all. If it dont hold up well then ill go to plan 'b'. Ive heard good & bad about dam neer every company (except sonnax nothing bad there ever!) McLeod I gave 2 weeks to get back & didnt hear nothing. So ill assume they dont wanna mess with my combo. Or so it seemed. So onward I went. technology has come a ways so I hoping it will pan out. Didnt the D-darts use the same 9 1/2 clutch too?

396 signet, im a little to far along parts, time & $$$ at this point to do a 10.5 conversion now. Yes this is a street car always will be. I dont plan on doing anything more the engine @ all. If it dont hold up well then ill go to plan 'b'. Ive heard good & bad about dam neer every company (except sonnax nothing bad there ever!) McLeod I gave 2 weeks to get back & didnt hear nothing. So ill assume they dont wanna mess with my combo. Or so it seemed. So onward I went. technology has come a ways so I hoping it will pan out. Didnt the D-darts use the same 9 1/2 clutch too?

That was my logic when I went forward with my 9.5 setup(s). Also considered using a special multi-disc setup like above and a Ford 10" diaphragm. My final setup was an iron "street" disc with billet flywheel that held strong, was light & smooth at first, but ultimately became very grabby. The low mass 122-tooth flywheel doesn't help matters. Finally went to the 10.5 & couldn't be happier, perfect for street driving. I posted a while back on all parts I used.

the D dart used the small clutch in 1966. the clutch was a 10 " from weber aka, mcloed . I used a 10 " clutch from a six cylinder mopar, installed fingers from a 101/2 clutch and add extra springs. ran it on street and raced it. never did slip, it wasn't heavy on pedal either.
BTW it was a B&B plate. also, it never stuck to the floor , only diaphragm .s stick to floor. aka Chevrolet.

396 signet, How healthy was/is your 273 in front of that transmission?

It looks like a 273 but actually a bored / stroked 340, 396CI, 400ish HP/ torque. Limiting factor is tire traction, same as a healthy 273. It has a light rotating assy (less than 273) which makes it a wild revver. If you are light duty street driving I would go with the factory 10" organic for your application. Based on my experience I would steer clear of iron or Kevlar. At some point I'm going to sell all my 9.5 parts short of the bellhousing & linkage. Have the billet flywheel, a few iron marcel (spring) discs, 9.5 B&B PP, & a complete rebuilt original 10"B&B PP & disc.

Ha ok well I see now why a 10.00 wont jold for you now man! Ive got a honest 260-270 @ the crank id guess.

the mcloed softloc is 10" dia. seems to hold very well is high H P stockers and S/S cars. the base pressure is about 600 to 900 #.

I used a the spec. 9.5" ceramic plate w/ springs. Works great and was pretty cheap.

You have the same engine combo as I do and the Brewers set should work fine.I would talk to Brewers about their set. The pressure plate has 3 extra holes for additional springs. I took my new Brewers set to Clutchmasters and he checked the set up. (finger height etc.) It was perfect. He said we could add extra springs or replace springs with stronger ones for more clamping force. I installed it as is and it works fine. One problem though, My clutch pedal has stuck to the floor during a power shift to second gear. Borg & Beck pressure plates are noted for that. Years ago, the stick racers would screw a block of wood to the floor so the pedal wouldn't go so far. No amount of adjustment will cure it that I have found. A dual disc would be great I would think. Almost double the friction surface.

Your pedal should not stick to the floor unless you are getting deflection somewhere. Diaphragm clutches are known for that, not Borg & Beck or Long pressure plates. I power shift at 6,000 to 7,000 with no problems unless my linkage brakes. I'm hoping to do some experimenting this summer to finally sort the 9.5 or 10.0 scalloped clutch problem.

What pressure plate? Any numbers on the disc?

Its their stage 2+ i believe. Any of there clutches labeled for 65-67 273 bolt right onto the 9.5" clutch setup. They have a setup for whatever power you want to throw at it. Ebay prices are cheaper if I remember.

Scampin, I personally called spec apx 4 weeks ago give er take a day or two. They didn't have anything 9.5 or 10.00 for us early A 273 guys. On the other hand he said we could build you somthing no problom but nothen on the shelf. Id swear everything on there site is 10.50 & larger.1967 up I think would be for 10.50. Should have my clutc/p.p. this week!!!!!

Not sure what to tell you. I ordered the clutch SD042 listed for a 65 273 off ebay. Bolted it onto my factory 9.5" flywheel ( might have had to change to an allen bolt), and have at least 3k carefree miles on it. It fits. I just found the invoice, bought it in 2013, says 10".

Well got my clutch & p.p. today....... Umm I think it may be going rite back! This 6 pad disc I bet would be a chattering mo-fo on take off with my 3.23's! The disc was soposta be organic on p.p.side & iron on flywheel side. Not both! Welk more waiting. ............

Attachments

• 20160329_161723.jpg
    45.2 KB · Views: 139
Yikes. That might be a little grabby for 3.23 gears on the street for sure. Was the pressure plate correct?

Scampin, No kidden!!! yeah correct p.p. But the whole set is going back! Apparently ram dont make a hybrid 10.00!!!! Its eather stock or this metallic one!!!! RRRRR! SO! What are your part numbers for the spec cluth/p.p.? P.m. me if you want too. I havnt found the actual specs on the part number you posted above.

Mine is the Stage2, Kevlar disc, double sprung hub. SD042 10" It does chatter a little bit, but hasn't slipped a bit. The pedal effort isn't bad at all. Supposed to hold 558 ft/lb of torque. Stage1 is supposed to be smooth as stock but hold 485ft/lb of torque.

Ok scampin I JUST got off the phon with matt @ spec clutches. He said the only thing they have is a sd042-2. Thats borg & beck style p.p. with a 10.00 disc. Thats it for a 10.0 that they have. As per 20 min ago. Id sure like to know who you got that from on ebay man!

I would almost swear mine is a diaphragm clutch, but it was three yrs ago I put it in. I don't understand why they keep telling you these things, the Sd041 is listed as a 10" as well? I only know I saw the clutches listed as 10" when looking a few years ago, someone at that time mentioned they used it with no problem. Cheapest price was on ebay, ordered it, bolted on and went. There is a ton of them on ebay and amazon now.

I ordered it from ultrarevparts on ebay. He still sells spec clutches.

-
Back