Ran my 318 barracuda down the dragstrip yesterday

-

GoodysGotaCuda

Mr. Goody
Reaction score
Pulled a best of 14.3 with the 318. on radials, track elevation is about 2000ft. Not sure what the d/a was though. I still have a couple things to tinker with, im picking up a set of drag radials probably tomorrow. The car was in its full street trim, as i drive it daily. :thumblef:

attached is my slip :salut:

100_0512.jpg

WOW; :salut:
Thats moving, Great for a 318!! :thumblef:

What gears you have;
whats in the engine?

:)

I have a mild 318 in my Valiant.

I would guess my car might go 15.8 or so.

I am using the "choke the engine" stock 273 exhaust manifolds,
but do have dual exhaust, and a mild cam.

Hey Mike,

Congrats on your ET. I thought you were going to put a drag slick on the car?
Nice looking b'cuda you have there, you represent the younger mopar crowd quite well! :thumrigh: :notworth:

As I've already told ya... awesome! Now... let's get my car down there and I'll race ya with the new gears! :p

I was there too!
Made three passes and went home :drinkers:
I didn't see you, too bad, it would have been fun to run heads up. :thumblef:

Great time for a 318..what gear you running in your diff?

cavemanmoron said:
WOW; :salut:
Thats moving, Great for a 318!! :thumblef:

What gears you have;
whats in the engine?

I have a mild 318 in my Valiant.

I would guess my car might go 15.8 or so.

I am using the "choke the engine" stock 273 exhaust manifolds,
but do have dual exhaust, and a mild cam.

I have a set of 3.91s in the rear and a low gear set in my 904 along with a 3000stall converter. The engine is a pretty much stock bottom end just .030, comp .480lift 280 duration hyd cam, stock 2.02 j-heads that have just been milled so i can have 9.7:1 compression, eddie performer rpm intake, and a pair of headers.

Duster346 said:
Hey Mike,

Congrats on your ET. I thought you were going to put a drag slick on the car?
Nice looking b'cuda you have there, you represent the younger mopar crowd quite well!

I was going to put slicks on however since it was 'street night' they wouldnt lemme :wack: . A buddy is actually giving me a pair of BFG 275/60/15 Drag radials with about 2 passes on them. Prolly picking them up this after noon

usdart said:
I was there too!
Made three passes and went home
I didn't see you, too bad, it would have been fun to run heads up.

Great time for a 318..what gear you running in your diff?

What were you running in the Dart?

I have 3.91s out back and the low gears in the transmixer :thumblef:

Stock 360/904
302 heads, 441 lift cam.600 cfm eddie carb.273 gears in back.
215/70 Dot street radials.

nothing special at all, just my daily driver.

usdart said:
Stock 360/904
302 heads, 441 lift cam.600 cfm eddie carb.273 gears in back.
215/70 Dot street radials.

nothing special at all, just my daily driver.

Times? :razz: Mines my daily driver so thats no excuse lol just kiddin.:jocolor: :thumblef:

First run 15.39 but I forgot to unload the tools and junk.

second run 14.32 and I caught a little better reaction time..

third run ??? they gave me the wrong time slip and I didn't notice til I got home! Too much tire spin anyway, couldn't have been good.

Second run was against a V-6 Buick, he red lighted and I was slow coming out and still passed him.

usdart said:
First run 15.39 but I forgot to unload the tools and junk.

second run 14.32 and I caught a little better reaction time..

third run ??? they gave me the wrong time slip and I didn't notice til I got home! Too much tire spin anyway, couldn't have been good.

Second run was against a V-6 Buick, he red lighted and I was slow coming out and still passed him.

Oh wow, you had a second wortha tools and junk! thats a lottta stuff :notworth: Can you post the slip or just the times? just curious to take a look :thumblef:

GoodysGotaCuda said:
Oh wow, you had a second wortha tools and junk! thats a lottta stuff :notworth: Can you post the slip or just the times? just curious to take a look :thumblef:

I had a tool box, fire extinguisher, spare and jack, spare parts and cleaning supplies in the trunk.

I wish I had wider tires and a lower diff like yours..now I have to decide,
Do I go for racing with it? or just leave it alone and drive?
Think I will leave it be, don't have any more $$ to spend on it these days.
Don't have a scanner, but, I will put the slips in the car for show an tell later. Don't know when I will be able to get back to the track,but, I can't wait. :thumblef:
It was the most fun I ever had with my clothes on.

usdart said:
I had a tool box, fire extinguisher, spare and jack, spare parts and cleaning supplies in the trunk.

I wish I had wider tires and a lower diff like yours..now I have to decide,
Do I go for racing with it? or just leave it alone and drive?
Think I will leave it be, don't have any more $$ to spend on it these days.
Don't have a scanner, but, I will put the slips in the car for show an tell later. Don't know when I will be able to get back to the track,but, I can't wait. :thumblef:
It was the most fun I ever had with my clothes on.

Yea its definately fun thats for sure haha. I'll be heading back the 26th it looks like with a line lock, some tinkering and some drag radials in search of a 13sec slip. From then on i gotta few things to mess with to see how much i can knock off :thumblef:

Man I hope you get there, that would be the best :salut:
Upon further thought..how hard is it to change gears in an 8 1/4?
Is it cheaper to swap diffs?

The diff I have came out of a 79 Volare and I am not certain of the ratio,.

You guys think I need more Carb? Maybe 750 cfm?

I would like to be in the lower into the 14's..need advice for budget minded improvements.
How 'bout a grudge race sometime??? :drinkers:

usdart said:
Man I hope you get there, that would be the best
Upon further thought..how hard is it to change gears in an 8 1/4?
Is it cheaper to swap diffs?

The diff I have came out of a 79 Volare and I am not certain of the ratio,.

You guys think I need more Carb? Maybe 750 cfm?

I would like to be in the lower into the 14's..need advice for budget minded improvements.
How 'bout a grudge race sometime???

yea we can race :thumblef: i much rather race another mopar thats pretty darn close to the same time than kill somebodys riced out 16 second car :wack: . first run i beat the other civic by almost a full 2seconds :drinkers: .

Sorry, no idea on how hard it is to swap gears in a 8 1/4". i gotta 8 3/4 in mine :salut:

GoodysGotaCuda, thats a very respectible ET. I notice the 1/8 mph timers was not working correctly. I had the same problem with the 1/4 mph timers this weekend at my track. In one lane on one pass I ran a low 11 at 247 mph.

usdart, a quicker reaction time will not net a quicker ET. The timers don't start until your front tires break the starting beam not when the light goes green. The reaction time is how close you got to braking the beam when the green light goes on. Don't feel bad when I started racing I also thought the timers started when the light turned green so if I left early I would run faster, so you are not alone.

-
Back