randysdart wont start

-

Randy Bolt

Reaction score
Just wanted to say hello to all of ma mopars followers.I'm. Randy a newbie. And a proud. Owner of a 1970 dart/swinger.it my daily ride,well it was my daily ride a week ago. I wanted to fix some of its fault's. like the under dash harrnis. I thought it went in easy enough. I put the old one next to the new one and look to be the same. But the problem is when I start it , it runs about 5min and shuts off. Then it wont start again for 3 or 4 hours. If I try to start it after it shuts off it just turns the motor like thers no spark when I let the key go to the run potison it will almost start for a breif. Second. So I started at coil and its hot with key in on pos. The ballis is lighted on all 4 sides , and orange. Box is new yesterday so can anyone give me a glimmer of hope and figure out what I did wrong. My car needs me please help us get back together .. Best regards my mopars. I'm sleepless in seattle Randy.,]:prayer:

Welcome to a great site. I had a similar problem with my small block and it ended up being some of the wires in my engine bulk head harness were grounding out and causing my coil to fail. My coil would get extremely hot and stop working and then would cool and start back up. Dustin

Geez this is the SECOND one of these, LOL

You have a multimeter? Measure coil + voltage while running. And, measure battery voltage.

Running battery voltage should be close to 14V and certainly no more than 14.5

Coil + voltage should be well below that, perhaps 9-12

Also feel the coil after a few minutes running time. They get "warm" but should not be too hot to touch IE not hotter than the engine itself.

What do you use for an ignition system?

This could ALSO be fuel starvation.

hey thanks for the advice dartsun thats the first place i'll look. then i'll look for a multimeter. like 67dart273 and ceck my coil thanks for that info 67dart273. but ether way im going after the chrome box. Geo sarcasm nice pic

If I try to start it after it shuts off it just turns the motor like thers no spark when I let the key go to the run potison it will almost start for a breif. Second.
This is an indication of the IGN2 and/or the IGN1 section of the ignition switch being bad. It acts like the IGN1 and 2 leads are making contact only in the transition between START and RUN. So I'd first suspect a bad ignition switch, or the wiring into it. Ballast may also be an issue; make sure it is not connected backwards.

The orange box is a waste of $$ unless you are running RPM's past about 5000.

-
Back