Rate my rack

-

pishta

I know I'm right....
Reaction score
Who has contemplated putting a rack and pinion in their early A? Either a forward steer across/inside the front of the K member and swapping the spindles side to side, or running a rear steer one in front of the trans cover under the pan? The front steer looks more common in the aftermarket front ends, but the rear looks more simple, I saw a bracket from a website that does B and E's and it was just a metal bracket that bolted up to the steering box mount with the 3 bolts and then leveled out and went across the oil pan. You mount the rack to this bracket and then run the tie rod ends out to your spindles. EZ, but the joint between the current column almost does a 75 straight down to the rack input shaft. Sure would make headers work out of almost any A body without that steering gear under the #3-5 ports.

Yea, uh, i cant see the rack, so........... I'll rate them at a 1, even if they are misquito bites.lol

I would do a front steer. It is what I am going to do on my Valiant. After all aren't "racks" supposed to be in front?

Chuck

Well, i wouldnt want to see a rack on the rear.......................eeeeew, freaky.lmao,rofl

Pishta, got any pics or a link to the B/E body set up you described?

I'd love to put a rack on my '63 and think rear mounted would be easier to keep the geometry right but haven't had time to look at it in that much detail.

http://www.unisteer.com/

couple guys on moparts tried the unisteer on b-bodies when it first came out. they said it was a real mess. the geometry was way out and th ecar didn't drive right.

Yeah, that is the one I saw. Bumpsteer? Some racks move from the center so the entire tie rod/centerlink would be connected to the rack right in the middle, but it would get a bit busy down there.

show_image_in_imgtag.php

first a solid 7 and the 2nd a saggy 3 lol lol.

there is a guy on here that put a manual steering rack outta a 2wd dakota and has a lotta good pictures. he cut the k fame and mounted it safely inside in the front and swaped spindles. this is what i wanna do to mine. they talked about a steering angle that wasnt right being front steer tho. i cant remember what it was but i would risk it. i think it just took out tires faster i think

CudaChick trying to rate racks? or have hers rated? lol

Nooooo, not rating anything. Just remembering what 2 Darts did to one of my PSC banner pics awhile back. One was fairly impressive and actually plausible, but the second would have me wishing for a chiropractor and the days when I could still reach the blast cabinet. LMAO

-
Back