Rattle can petty blue

-
Adam,

I could be wrong here, but I think "Petty Blue" and B3 are actually 2 different paint codes. I always heard that petty blue was in fact a 999 code. But they are very close, and B3 blue is commonly, but mistakenly, called "Petty Blue."

Adam,

I could be wrong here, but I think "Petty Blue" and B3 are actually 2 different paint codes. I always heard that petty blue was in fact a 999 code. But they are very close, and B3 blue is commonly, but mistakenly, called "Petty Blue."

Petty blue was originally a 999 special order color which later became B3 blue I believe. I will see If can can get some paint formulas.

eaglesguy... I think thats the same Chrysler Corporation blue engine paint that I mentioned earlier. If it is, then yes... its a duplicolor rattle can paint, high-heat stuff.

Correct its engine paint in a spray can.

73 Duster "Petty Blue", factory paint.

DSC00380.jpg

69 Barracuda B3

9deb_3.jpg

Here ya go Friend: Petty Blue is a Plymouth name. The same color on a Dodge car is called Corporate Blue. The code being " C37D". That's for 1970-1974 Paint Codes. FINAL ANSWER !! For someone to be driving a Dodge and call his paint color "Petty Blue" is wrong. His car would be called "Corporate Blue". Same color, wrong terminology. Probably wouldn't win a concours show calling your Dodge color "Petty Blue". You can have it mixed at your local paint and body store and put in an aresol can. I had 4 cans of Tahitian Gold mixed friday and it came to $60.01. Let us know how much where you live.
The Term Petty Blue is the name of the colour TB3 known in racing circles as Petty Blue also Street Basin Blue,Corporate blue,Super Blue what ever you want to call it.My car is TB3,that ,s the factory colour!

Just got back from the parts store. They had the corporate blue in the dupli-color. However it looks nothing like pettysbludart. But im going to give it a try sometimes the can top can fool you.

Here,s my 73 Dart sport 340,4 speed.My car has had 1 repaint and the fender tag reads TB3=Petty Blue

OCT 08 006.jpg

MT.NEMO.JPG

Ive seen several that are "close" to that color. But like the look of Adams engine it looks different than that car. Once you see that color its like theres no comparison.

Ive seen several that are "close" to that color. But like the look of Adams engine it looks different than that car. Once you see that color its like theres no comparison.
The previous owner had my car repainted 19 years ago.I know Plymouth called it TB3 and that,s what my fender tag reads,even though it,s a dodge??Chrysler has been known to screw up!Regardless,I call my car PettyBlue because it,s mine.Wrong or not!I,ve been told it,s not the original colour,but if you care to come look over the whole car,be my guest!Pettybludart.

The previous owner had my car repainted 19 years ago.I know Plymouth called it TB3 and that,s what my fender tag reads,even though it,s a dodge??Chrysler has been known to screw up!Regardless,I call my car PettyBlue because it,s mine.Wrong or not!I,ve been told it,s not the original colour,but if you care to come look over the whole car,be my guest!Pettybludart.

I hope I didnt come off wrong or something. Your car color is the one im after. If I had a car like that I would care less if someone thought it was orginal or not. Now that i know the code I need to find someone that make it. Going to start work on the engine componets.

There all ways going to be variations of the color. Mines just spray paint so its not very shiny and I bet a different brand would be a different shade.

Even with automotive paint they wont all be the same. Theres No lead in paint anymore which makes the toners different then they were 20, 30 years ago.

Even with new cars, Ive seen as many as 12 variants for 1 color code. It makes matching paint a real pain in the ***.

Yeah, I'll go out and get a can of paint and then get another one later, same stuff, and it won't look the same.

I beleive 1970 was the last year for the light metallic blue b3. in 1971 it switched and became the petty/corporate blue shade.

so the code is B3 but 1971 -1973 b3 so be specific when ordering.

As a pinstriper, when I needed a bright blue for my 340 I mixed in up in leaded 1-Shot and brushed it on and it lasted 20 years til some moron mechanic decided it wasn't the correct Mopar blue and rattle canned it over, boy was I pissed and took care of him in a hurry where it hurt, in his pocket.

Engines don't need hi temp paints and just needs real paint which probably isn't available any longer due to the EPA and its battle with anything that lasts, like leaded paints and I am fortunate to have a lifetime supply for my trade

The color is B3 Blue Basin Street blue for plymouth and Blue Streak for Dodge. I had the B3 made up at the local paint store and it looks just like Scotts sample he sent of his car..

Owning a 1973 original TB3 duster know as basin blue (aka...1972 Petty blue) I agree...

Attachments

• DSC_0049.jpg
    97.2 KB · Views: 825
The color is B3 Blue Basin Street blue for plymouth and Blue Streak for Dodge. I had the B3 made up at the local paint store and it looks just like Scotts sample he sent of his car..
Glad you recieved the sample Josh,it came from a can of paint I got when I bought the car.Time to post some pics of your progress!Show off that Pettycorporatestreetbasinblue!LOL

Glad you recieved the sample Josh,it came from a can of paint I got when I bought the car.Time to post some pics of your progress!Show off that Pettycorporatestreetbasinblue!LOL

Really havent made progress lately been working on my furnace.

Attachments

• car2.jpg
    55.4 KB · Views: 819
-
Back