Rear tires not centered in wheel well

-

dusted72

Thanks Hemiroid!!!!
Reaction score
I recently installed an 8 3/4 from a 68 Satellite 2 door and my rear tires are way to far forward. I have about 1.5-2 inches in the rear but about 1/4 in the front. I reused the /6 rear springs could that be why. I also understand that my tires are really tall but I would think that I should still have a little bit more clearance. I will post pics when I get home form work.

I recently installed an 8 3/4 from a 68 Satellite 2 door and my rear tires are way to far forward. I have about 1.5-2 inches in the rear but about 1/4 in the front. I reused the /6 rear springs could that be why. I also understand that my tires are really tall but I would think that I should still have a little bit more clearance. I will post pics when I get home form work.

As long as you are using the same car leaf springs, the rearend has nothing to do with the front to rear location of the rear. I assume you have an A-body? If so as long as you use A-body leaf springs, the location of the rear will not change with the 8 3/4. The B body rear is a little wider,3 ", but that is it.

Almost all A bodies have the tires closer to the front of the wheel opening than they are to the rear of the opening. That's why so many people either trim the front of the wheel opening, or move the rearend back an inch or so.

Almost all A bodies have the tires closer to the front of the wheel opening than they are to the rear of the opening. That's why so many people either trim the front of the wheel opening, or move the rearend back an inch or so.

Yep.

I put them back in the same as they came out I didn't remove the front perches or rear hangers so I know that is right. The tires I know are too tall they were on my Fury just as rollers 235/75/15 I think. So I can just drill new holes through the springs, use new bolts, and move it back a little?

That tire is all most 29 inches tall. Just put a spacer in betwen the frame and the spring hanger.

It may not be that easy drilling through spring steel. That's a very hard metal. If you move the rear back, you should also check to make sure that your driveshaft yoke is in the trans far enough. I would trim the leading edge of the wheel opening. Much easier than drilling the springs and possibly having to get another driveshaft. Just my opinon.

Ken
Edison, NJ

The tires will be replaced with a shorter tire, and as far as drive shaft there isn't one in the car since there is no motor or trans at this time. Another question side to side there is about an inch difference how do I correct that problem. I bolted one side hanger and perch up tight then installed the other should I loosen both sides a little and retighten to see if they center themselves?

At the correct ride height and with the correct tires things will be centered. Cutting the fenders is a band-aid solution for those without the time to set things up right.

I overexposed this pic so you can see past the shadows.

DSC00057OE.jpg

You know I didn't think about correct ride height.I guess I should have thought about the car being completely stripped of everything but doors. What about the side to side thing?

You know I didn't think about correct ride height.I guess I should have thought about the car being completely stripped of everything but doors. What about the side to side thing?

Only way I know to fix that would be to cut the spring seats loos, put the axle where it needs to be then weld them back on.

I think I will loosen everything up and make sure nothing is in a bind before I start cutting.

To deal with the side-to-side difference (without moving spring perches) one of my buddies just got two wheels with different backspacing. From the rear you see them equally spaced, and from the sides you never would notice.

Its only maybe an inch or so you really can't notice it but I know it's there. As much work as I am gonna do to this car I might as well make it right.

no need to drill anything or cut anything if you want to move the rear back some. just put a spacer between the frame and where the springs mounts to the frame in the front. you know the 4 studs. if need4ed just stick long bolts in there with a spacer and your good to go. i know a bunch of people that have done that

That's how mine was on my 67 barracuda.
I could not add a spacer due to the spring relocation and mini tubb so I had to massage the forward wheel opening 1.5 inches.
I had my buddy do it that knows his way around sheet metal work.

If you did not relocate the springs you should be able to add a spacer to the front stock mounting location.

Before and after pics.

25F04-5-1717-40.jpg

clearance.jpg

notag2-1.jpg

There is apparently 100 was to do this so I think I will ya'lls ideas soke for a little while and then decide which is the best for my application. Thanks for everybody advice you guys are really the greatest.

My 68 Barracuda only has about 1/2 inch from the tire to the front of the fenderwell lip with 275/60-15`s on it. I`m with SGBarracuda, it looks like the main problem is the tire is too tall. The stock E/70-14 tires that these cars came with are probably about 24.5 inches in diameter whereas a 235/75-15 is probably around 29 inches.

-
Back