Rebuild or alterkation?

-
I would love to get me an AlterK for the Dart some day. I don't see how you could go wrong with that set up. I have been saving up.

Good luck. Hope you can swing it.

No worries on the highjack, but you guys might want to get a room... just kidding.

I appreciate the good feedback! I am going to wait for money to get better anyway and don't foresee doing it for about two years. But the decision kind of impacts what I do to it this summer so I was just soul searching for now.

Thanks!

Powder coated metalic silver on the K and upper/lowers, black powder coat on sway bar,spindles, coil springs and rotors. Lots of room, lighter and easy install. Plus Bill has unsurpassed customer support/service, he is all aces.

65 BARRACUDA 002 (Small).jpg

65 BARRACUDA PICTS 029 (Small).jpg

65 BARRACUDA PICTS 031 (Small).jpg

That does look pretty sharp. Kind of hard to think about any other options once you see it.

thanks for sharing the pics!

65bcoda, any idea what all that powdercoating cost? I know it's not cheap, unless you are connected.

There is a girl on here who does powdercoating that goes by CudaChick , when I get my alterk I am going to contact her for a price.

I cannot tell from the pics of the alterk on the car but do these kits hang pretty low?
I will probably want to do this to my car some day when I have the money and time. I went with option one due to crappy suspension and no money... some day though

Tincup.......I'm connected....Local fabrication shop that builds large stuff like entrance gates and industial sized stuff. Black is cheap any other color is more, he just piggy backs the small stuff on larger orders when he fires up the oven. His ovens are large enough to do whole truck frames and such.
I believe I paid $325.00 for the AlterK pieces,trans mount,rear end,backing plates,and door hinges.Alot of mud truck guys utilize his services.

I also had the intake,timing cover, t-stat and cleared my valve covers by a fella in Fargo ND while working out of town.

I spoke with cudachick about getting a custom color to match the K to the car and she did send me some color samples (thank you Leanne) but I never followed up w/her about it (sorry) It was one stop shopping and no shipping for me. But I have seen some great work of hers. She tends to care about her work.

ENGINE 016 (Small).jpg

ENGINE 024 (Small).jpg

Tincup.......I'm connected....Local fabrication shop that builds large stuff like entrance gates and industial sized stuff. Black is cheap any other color is more, he just piggy backs the small stuff on larger orders when he fires up the oven. His ovens are large enough to do whole truck frames and such.
I believe I paid $325.00 for the AlterK pieces,trans mount,rear end,backing plates,and door hinges.Alot of mud truck guys utilize his services.

I also had the intake,timing cover, t-stat and cleared my valve covers by a fella in Fargo ND while working out of town.

I spoke with cudachick about getting a custom color to match the K to the car and she did send me some color samples (thank you Leanne) but I never followed up w/her about it (sorry) It was one stop shopping and no shipping for me. But I have seen some great work of hers. She tends to care about her work.

Thanks for the plug and the kind words!!! I'm gonna go out on a limb and guess you're Roger E., the one who was looking for a match for that gorgeous blue (Intense Blue Pearl if I remember right) late last year, and who knows my buddy Dan at Elite Powder Coating. I'm glad to hear you're satisfied with the results from your local shop -- sounds like you received a fair deal too. Please keep me in mind though if I can ever help you out on anything else for your Cuda in the future.

As far as tending to care about my work, that's not true. I care about all of it -- very much. If I wouldn't put my work on my own car, I'd never ask you to put it on yours. :-D

Bill has AWESOME customer support, he answered all the questions I threw at him in a very timely manor. Definitely a rarity these days!

The only thing that I've heard and fear about powder coating is the chipping, anyone have experience with that?

Cudachick, by saying tend, I ment that you did care about your product.
I'm old school I guess "tend" now a days is probably short for "pretend" text message wise.
No negative undercurrent was in"tended" LOL
Let Dan know about my plug in his behalf when you talk to him.
Did you get your large oven yet? Dan has a killer set up, I thought.
Roger

ckj688, As long as the parts have been properly prepped and "fumed" it should hold up just fine.

I have airboats that get abused on a regular basis running the skinny water and have yet to have any major chipping issues. Not to say it do's not happen but I have had good luck thus far.
Roger

I need some adive or tips...

I am tearing down the front end of my car and the way I see it, I have two options. I am tearing it down primarily to clean it up and get it ready for paint.

1.) just replace all the bushings and call it good. I can upgrade to disk breaks down the road when money is better.

2.) Just wait until money is better (probably 2 years or so) and get a front end replacement that comes with new steering, brakes, basically the whole shibang.

How many people have done opttion 2 and what is the best kit? How much am I looking at spending for one on a 69 Dart with a 340? Is it worth the money? I am leaning towards option 2 even though I know 1 is far cheaper.

depends on what ya want. i went with the alter-k. man is it sweet. true bolt in. car is incredible to drive with trhe power rack.

pics of my install. http://s70.photobucket.com/albums/i109/abodyjoe/71 dart/alter-k/?start=120

Cudachick, by saying tend, I ment that you did care about your product.
I'm old school I guess "tend" now a days is probably short for "pretend" text message wise.
No negative undercurrent was in"tended" LOL
Let Dan know about my plug in his behalf when you talk to him.
Did you get your large oven yet? Dan has a killer set up, I thought.
Roger

Ohhhhhhhh Roger, don't ever worry about offending me!!! Your reply made me laugh. I was buried with website updates, a couple of quotes AND enjoying the chat last night when I saw it or else I would've straightened it out right then. Sorry to make ya stress about it in the meantime. :-D

Besides, as a business owner -- especially with the volume of new members FABO gets every day -- I never hesitate to remind these guys that quality work does still exist. I figure if anyone who reads my reply is 'on the fence' about whether to get parts done by their local place or go through the extra hassle of shipping stuff to me out here in the toolies, maybe a gentle shove will help guide them in the right direction and give them a little extra confidence that they're making the right decision. I took your "tend" and ran with it buddy!!! :-D:-D:-D

Anyway, as I said in the thread, the parts look great and I think you received a fair shake on the price. But next time remember that I'LL give you a discount when those local guys won't. [For some strange reason that discount is always VERY CLOSE to the shipping cost too. I hadn't realized that until recently when I started looking through past invoices.] Nine out of ten of my jobs come from FABO, ya'll treat me wonderfully, and I try to do the same for all of you.

As far as the big oven goes, stay tuned for the biggest announcement in PSC's history. Since I'm having a hand in helping to build it personally, I can finally say it won't be long now. And it'll be big enough for everything you can throw at me except for a car chassis too.

I haven't talked to Dan in a while but if I do, I'll send your love. haaaaa

Quick question about the master cylinder...is a brake booster required for the disc brakes? Is it harder or easier in regards to pressure on the brake pedal w/o a booster?

Here are a couple of pictures of the front end. The rack only threads in about 1 1/2 inches on each side. So with one wheel straight the other is toe out about 5 inches.

1692.jpg

1693.jpg
I have some at home, I will try and post tonight.

Here are a couple of pictures of the front end. The rack only threads in about 1 1/2 inches on each side. So with one wheel straight the other is toe out about 5 inches.

1692.jpg

1693.jpg

have you called bill about that? i'm sure its something stupid.

Another big plus with the alter-k is header clearance because you get rid of the torsion bars. Makes header installs super easy.

Another big plus with the alter-k is header clearance because you get rid of the torsion bars. Makes header installs super easy.

Those torsion bars were SO HARD to get out, I took ALL the pressure off it and removed the clip, wouldn't budge, had to cut em in half, once I did that they fell right out...

-
Back