Rebuilding front end

-

Mopar_Chick

Reaction score
Well... I am needing to rebuild the whole front end of my 72 Duster. I thought i would ask for some advice on where I should buy the parts and how to go about it? I know that i need to do everything though because I have been having issues with tire wear and squeeking no matter what I do and now the alignment is wayy off! When I restored this car I probably should have replaced all of the bushings then, but never did. Now after sitting for how many years? and then after the restoration, just going out and driving it, the bushings are now cracking and falling out. It is parked for the winter now and it's TIME to REPLACE it ALL! So heres the thing...I was wondering where the best place to get the full kit for a 72 Duster and the best price and service. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

THANK YOU:thumblef:

I will also be very interested in this thread. :read2: I am collecting upper and lower control arms, and BBP brakes to put on my '70 Swinger /6 . I did the bushings and ball joints on my '63 Valiant, but that was a couple of years ago, so I'm sort of outa the loop.

It is quite a job, but can be done in a couple of days. I just did the entire front end of my dart. I would recommend using a poly kit like energysuspension hyper-flex bushing kit and buy the rod ends, ball joints seperate from you local parts store. PST also makes an entire kit that I heard the pretty good.

The hardest part of the job is removing the torsion bars from the lower control arms, removing the old bushing from the upper arms (had to heat them up with a torch and press them out using a couple of pieces of pipe that I made up) and removing the old ball joints (rusted in). A good bench vice, a torch with a rose bud on it, spare pieces of pipe and a pipe wrench are tools that will help.

I used the hyper-flex kit and love it. No creaking or noises from the front end and it really tightened up the handling of the car. Well worth the time and money.

It is quite a job, but can be done in a couple of days. I just did the entire front end of my dart. I would recommend using a poly kit like energysuspension hyper-flex bushing kit and buy the rod ends, ball joints seperate from you local parts store. PST also makes an entire kit that I heard the pretty good.

The hardest part of the job is removing the torsion bars from the lower control arms, removing the old bushing from the upper arms (had to heat them up with a torch and press them out using a couple of pieces of pipe that I made up) and removing the old ball joints (rusted in). A good bench vice, a torch with a rose bud on it, spare pieces of pipe and a pipe wrench are tools that will help.

I used the hyper-flex kit and love it. No creaking or noises from the front end and it really tightened up the handling of the car. Well worth the time and money.

Where did you happen to get this kit? Can you send me the link or further info? I'm interested!

when you install the kit,to keep the squeeks at bay use never sieze compound wherever there is movement such as upper and lower control arm bushings, DO NOT use grease it will eat the rubber and deteriorate it

Or you could try http://www.justsuspension.com they have very high quality front end kits for your Duster. I ordered my front end kit from them.

Their website is down right now, but I've talked to them in the past. Their street/strip kit with all the bushings, ball joints, bigger tie rod ends and sleeves, and bump stops ran $399 plus shipping.

That is for the rubber kit. I am going to stay away from the poly bushings for my street car. Maybe if I autocrossed it or something, but it seems like overkill for my project.

I bought a PST kit for my 66 Dart. Everything fit good and tightened the ol' front end up. I bought their deluxe kit with all the tie rod ends and adjusting sleeves. PST has a link in the right margin of your screen. toolman

hi. have to do mine also, 67 barracuda, originally a slant 6, then 318, now 440ci,i dont know where to start, torsion bars, steering, its a bit of a handful! as far as i know the front is all original< except for crossmember >have rebuilt rear springs and replaced air shocks to monroe, not the most expensive but work well, have to sort front as the extra weight etc. any suggestions most welcome, thankyou.i look on the likes of summit and there are so many choices,bolt on bits,brands etc my car is a road car by the way.

If you want to do rebuild your front suspension one time and forget about it, the best quality stuff out there is either the Spicer Pro series or the Moog Pro series. The Spicer uses really substantially well-built ball jonts and the like. Having seen a number of the aftermarket kits go belly up in 15,000 - 25,000 miles, I'd recommend spending a little more now, and having piece of mind for the long run.

Check with Firmfeel for opinions.

BTW Rock Auto has a monthly discount coupon code and had Moog parts.

I already mentioned it on your welcome page.. But Rockauto.com has awesome prices. I got an energy suspensions hyper-flex kit from jegs racing(was cheaper than summit that they but that goes back and forth) and am getting moog balljoints and using some dirt-track stuff too(speedway racing).. but they require some..ugh.. Tweaking LOL!

Guys,

There sure is a lot of talk going on right now about front end kits on FABO!

We are currently running a $100 off sale on our Super Front End Kits to commemorate our 25th anniversary. The sale ends on October 31st.

As always, shipping is FREE to the 48 US States.

That means that our Super Front End Kit with rubber bushings - normally $379 - is just $279 shipped to your door! For that price, you get:

* 2 Upper Ball Joints
* 2 Lower Ball Joints
* 2 Strut Rod Bushings
* 2 Outer Tie Rod Ends
* 2 Stabilizer Links (Bolt and sleeve type links only)
* 2 Inner Tie Rod Ends
* 1 Idler Arm
* 4 Upper Inner Control Arm Bushings
* 2 Lower Inner Control Arm Bushings
* 2 Sway Bar Bushings (for most models)
* Control Arm Bumpers (for most models)
* 2 Tie Rod Adjusting Sleeves
* 4 Upper Cam and Bolt kits

Our Polygraphite® Super Front End Kits are also on sale for $100 off. Normally $439 - sale price $339 with free shipping. Kits include:

* 2 Upper Ball Joints
* 2 Lower Ball Joints
* 2 Strut Rod Bushings
* 2 Outer Tie Rod Ends
* 2 Polygraphite® Stabilizer Links (Bolt and sleeve type links only)
* 2 Inner Tie Rod Ends
* 1 Idler Arm
* 4 Polygraphite® Upper Inner Control Arm Bushings
* 2 Polygraphite® Sway Bar Bushings (for most models)
* 4 Upper Cam and Bolt Kits

Thanks for considering PST and thank you all for all of your orders!

Guys,

There sure is a lot of talk going on right now about front end kits on FABO!

We are currently running a $100 off sale on our Super Front End Kits to commemorate our 25th anniversary. The sale ends on October 31st.

As always, shipping is FREE to the 48 US States.

That means that our Super Front End Kit with rubber bushings - normally $379 - is just $279 shipped to your door! For that price, you get:

* 2 Upper Ball Joints
* 2 Lower Ball Joints
* 2 Strut Rod Bushings
* 2 Outer Tie Rod Ends
* 2 Stabilizer Links (Bolt and sleeve type links only)
* 2 Inner Tie Rod Ends
* 1 Idler Arm
* 4 Upper Inner Control Arm Bushings
* 2 Sway Bar Bushings (for most models)
* 4 Upper Cam and Bolt kits

Our Polygraphite® Super Front End Kits are also on sale for $100 off. Normally $439 - sale price $339 with free shipping. Kits include:

* 2 Upper Ball Joints
* 2 Lower Ball Joints
* 2 Strut Rod Bushings
* 2 Outer Tie Rod Ends
* 2 Polygraphite® Stabilizer Links (Bolt and sleeve type links only)
* 2 Inner Tie Rod Ends
* 1 Idler Arm
* 4 Polygraphite® Upper Inner Control Arm Bushings
* 2 Polygraphite® Sway Bar Bushings (for most models)
* 4 Upper Cam and Bolt Kits

Thanks for considering PST and thank you all for all of your orders!

Nice!! :cheers:

hi all, good feedback/information! are 1inch 250lb torsion bars enough for a 67 BARRACUDA with 440ci? granted they going to be better than stock<40yr old slant 6 which is in there now !!!>car being used for street use only,just lotta weight up front, also any suggestions for adjustable shocks up front? thanks for the help, nathan.

-
Back