Remember when this was what they cost?

-

Frankie

Member #9641
Reaction score
13244721_1164740616919458_1812233648606805896_n.jpg

Someplace I might still have a receipt for a new Hurst competition plus bought for my 70RR. This was early 70's and I think it was something like 45 bucks

But the Medium wage in the US was around 6 grand----A YEAR!

I bought my first Mopar, a '69 340 Swinger, in November 1969 for $2500. It was only a couple of months old and the original owner had put a set of Cragar SS wheels on it. He sold it because he'd decided to join the Navy and his parents wouldn't keep up the payments for him.
Oh yeah, my first wife and I had gotten married in August of 1969 and the monthly rent for our 2-bedroom apartment in SoCal was $105.
Things were certainly different back then...

Yes i do.
Ordered a 71 Cuda new, back in the day.
The base price for the car listed at $3,200.00
Salesman said, i will sell you a car at $2,900.00, and put as many options on it as you want.
Put a thousand dollars of options on it, and paid $3,900.00 for a new Cuda, back in 71.

My first new MoPar ( for new car, period) was a 1968 Hemi Roadrunner. The Hemi option was $800.
It was yellow with black interior, 833/4speed trans,and a Dana 60 rear with 4:11's (that I swapped out within 4 months for 3.73's IIRC).
Dog dish, radio delete, and no console. I think it cost $2890.00

But the Medium wage in the US was around 6 grand----A YEAR!

Except whats median income now? 30-40 grand? And what does a decent sedan cost these days? 30 Grand? And what did it cost you to fill your tank up back then? Maybe 5 bucks? Today it's at least 60. That's the problem. Wages haven't kept up with the cost of goods.

Except whats median income now? 30-40 grand? And what does a decent sedan cost these days? 30 Grand? And what did it cost you to fill your tank up back then? Maybe 5 bucks? Today it's at least 60. That's the problem. Wages haven't kept up with the cost of goods.

Yep, used to fill up the tank with premium, and still get some change back from a fiver.

And these dumb asses think a 15 dollar a hour minimum wage is a good idea! Dollar is not worth anything now! But I was sure stupid, Did not keep but one car from my youth, And sold that for a song. 71 340 challenger, sold it, 69 RR gone the list goes on and on. The one I kept was a 64 sport fury 426 wedge 4 speed Convertible. O Well...

Take a guess what i was paid, as an E1, Airman Basic, when i joined the Air Force, back in 1973.
$400.00 A MONTH.
That's not a miss type either. A month. Can you believe it?

My first New car was a 1969 mustang. I know, makes me cringe now, but I was 17 and my dad was signing for me to get it. 2850 was the purchase price. Payment of 89 per month for 36 months. Gas was 33.9 per gallon. I was in high school and if I remember correctly part time driver insurance was less than 100 per year.
That was before I got 2 speeding tickets in 30 days and lost my license for a year. I think when I got my license back insurance was 800 per year sorry it was a ford, but I have learned better.

Inflation adjusted, the Duster would cost $16,908 today.
The Cuda, $20,672.
The RoadRunner $18,163.
The GTX $21,927.
The SuperBird $25,692.

Just checked online - a new Challenger starts (base model SXT) at $27,990,
but comes standard with 305 HP V6, 30 MPG, 4 wheel ABS Disc brakes, 6 airbags, AM/FM, and better tires.

According to this website (Dodge 0-60 Times & Dodge Quarter Mile Times | Dodge Viper, SRT Challenger, Charger R/T, Neon & more 0 to 60 stats!),
here are the performance numbers for the SXT with the V6:

2015 Dodge Challenger SXT 0-60 mph 6.1 | Quarter mile 14.5
Manumatic Trans. | 6 Cyl Eng. | RWD | Coupe

This post said the legendary Ronnie Sox ran 14.07 in a 340 Duster with 391 gears: Whats the best time for a factory stock duster 1/4 miles ??

The good old days were good, but things aren't so shabby now, either (now, the late 80s - early 2000s...)

No, because I'm not that firetruckin old.

Old isn't a bad thing. People my age have forgotten more than a lot of the younger generation know or care to know. I know with my kids, especially the ones in college, only care about the car they have today. They could care less about dad's barracuda. Once it is completed that may change.

Take a guess what i was paid, as an E1, Airman Basic, when i joined the Air Force, back in 1973.
$400.00 A MONTH.
That's not a miss type either. A month. Can you believe it?
I was making $421.00/month as an Army Spec 4 in 1971. That included the off base housing allowance.

I was making $421.00/month as an Army Spec 4 in 1971. That included the off base housing allowance.
Should have gotten yourself a job at macdonalds
(and that was intended to be a pun against the people who think you deserve more money to flip burgers then the people in the armed forces, and was in no way intended as disrespect to any servicemen or women)

Last edited:
I got a job at McDonald's in the summer of 67 when I turned 16 for $1 an hour. In Oct. of 68 I bought a well optioned used 66 A100 Custom Sportsman window van for $1500. In spring of 69 I fumbled through my first attempt at an engine swap, putting a 65 Commando 273 into the van, so now it needed premium. I remember filling it up when it was almost empty and getting a quarter back from my $10 bill.

So yes, I remember when cars were seemingly cheap, but I didn't make but $2 an hour, so it's all relative. And if you were a young single guy insurance was not cheap either, especially if you got any tickets or had an accident.

Agreed. Sure, I would love to purchase a car at the price listed in the add, but I need to keep the money I make now.

Should have gotten yourself a job at macdonalds;)

That's a rather insulting reply to someone that took it upon himself to be in the military, wether voluntarily enlisted, or got drafted into the service, back in the old days.
I'm sure we didn't go in for what was paid to us, back in the dinosaur days.
Personally, i don't appreciate your thinking.

In 1970, I was in grade 10.My part time jobs paid $1.35Can/hr. Having started a paper route in 1966, in those 4 intervening years, I had managed to save up $1200.Exactly half the price of a very low mileage,slighly used,1970 Swinger 340/4-spd/3.55s with nearly new tires.Daddy co-signed the loan.I was working PT at Canadian Tire, after school, and pumping gas on weekends. IIRC gas was around 33 cents a gallon.The older boys were selling smokes to the underage schoolboys, for 2 cents a cig, and making money.Draft beer was 2 for .50, and I bought my first case of beer in 1971,for $3.65Can at age 18.I think it was a dozen. And it wasn't that rot-gut Canadian brand either.Probly Club or Blue.

-
Back