Removing slop in manual steering

-
That was firmfeel.I wanted one but they werent ready.I havent heard anything in a while.

I don't want to redirect the post, but you raised a question I have been wondering about with the idler arm of my 64 Valiant. On the link side, the idler pivots in all directions (like a ball joint), while on the bracket side it only rotates about the stud axis. Is it supposed to do that? I bought a new idler and on both ends it seems to only rotate on an axis (just stiff because new?). The stud end of my Pitman arm pivots in all directions. Is that correct or is it worn also?

I dont know what amount of movement is acceptable. Considering the 2 arms have matched one another move for move, they should have fairly equal wear.

I don't want to redirect the post, but you raised a question I have been wondering about with the idler arm of my 64 Valiant. On the link side, the idler pivots in all directions (like a ball joint), while on the bracket side it only rotates about the stud axis. Is it supposed to do that? I bought a new idler and on both ends it seems to only rotate on an axis (just stiff because new?). The stud end of my Pitman arm pivots in all directions. Is that correct or is it worn also?

Supposed to just turn on the k member side but unfortunately they are sloppy with the rubber bushings and flex like crazy.
The roller bearing type are supposed to just turn thus eliminating slop on the k member side.
Some K member brackets especially the 67's were not too beefy and could use gusseting to make the actual cage stiffer where it bolts up.

These companies need to quit advertising teasers in magazines then dropping the ball.

Yup I agree. When I phoned asking after the improved idler arm,Dick @ firmfeel admitted they had jumped the gun,and the product wasnt quite ready. It was the same thing with the sector shaft kit,but that one they didnt run into issues. As a result I got one of the very first kits,and a discount to boot!

Dick inst great about responding to emails,but is great on the phone.I have no clue on the new idler arm,someone needs to phone him (not me, international long distance!!)

Yup I agree. When I phoned asking after the improved idler arm,Dick @ firmfeel admitted they had jumped the gun,and the product wasnt quite ready. It was the same thing with the sector shaft kit,but that one they didnt run into issues. As a result I got one of the very first kits,and a discount to boot!

Dick inst great about responding to emails,but is great on the phone.I have no clue on the new idler arm,someone needs to phone him (not me, international long distance!!)

FABO concerted effort?

Maybe someone in WA could give him a call? Same for this booster dewey guy(again WA),who rebuilds brake booster's. Another guy whom I would have to call international long distance! So I havent bothered..

Whats with the outfits in WA not wanting to step up to the modern age?

I know on my idler arm I ended up putting in an extra washer inside between the cage and the idler arm when I installed it. When I first put the idler arm in the box mount there was a fair amount of gap, so when I tightened the bolt it flexed the box pretty hard to pull it together and the arm would rotate on the bolt and move up and down it some. The extra washer helps to clamp the center sleeve of the idler arm a lot better and makes it pretty solid.

Good news! I emailed Dick and asked,he got back to me immediately (awesome!). The modded idler arm is now available!! I dont know if ther part is on the websight yet,as Dick isnt the one who updates it.I also dont know the price.. but at least if you email firmfeel they can help you out and fill the order!!

I'll be geting this part for sure;it's a complementary part to the sector support kit,and the nice solid tie rod sleeves that ff has. I think that between the stock sway bar and the ff parts,plus the huge loss of front end weight (fibreglass nose) that my Dart will handle surprizingly well for a drag car! FF also has Bilstien shocks,but they wont be going on my car;I need adjustable drag shocks up front,so most likely QA1 or similar.

Would be nice if there were a shock with QA1 quality,but not the price..

Good news! I emailed Dick and asked,he got back to me immediately (awesome!). The modded idler arm is now available!! I dont know if ther part is on the websight yet,as Dick isnt the one who updates it.I also dont know the price.. but at least if you email firmfeel they can help you out and fill the order!!

I'll be geting this part for sure;it's a complementary part to the sector support kit,and the nice solid tie rod sleeves that ff has. I think that between the stock sway bar and the ff parts,plus the huge loss of front end weight (fibreglass nose) that my Dart will handle surprizingly well for a drag car! FF also has Bilstien shocks,but they wont be going on my car;I need adjustable drag shocks up front,so most likely QA1 or similar.

Would be nice if there were a shock with QA1 quality,but not the price..

Dude!
Cool, thanks.

Hey you are welcome! I am a firmfeel fan,lol..Love the stock suspension,just needs a tweak here and there to be excellent!

Oh I am also using the lca reinforcement plates.Another floppy area for a mopar is the torsion bar mount/It wants improvement.

Ouch!!!!.... talked to firm feel yesterday OTP.

Seems the 67 A body idler kit cost roughly $200 and is NOT an idler arm with timken roller bearings already installed, but rather the bearing kit only which means you have to take your old idler arm to a machine shop and have it drilled out and have this bearing kit pressed in.
Seems like a hell of a lot of money for a bearing kit.

I could see if it came as a bolt in idler arm unit already done...still pricey but not as bad as the Bearing kit only.

The later version idler arm is about half the price and it's a full idler arm ready to install.

He said the bearing only kit is so pricey because of research and development costs.....I'm confused on that one??
As of yesterday he said there is no pic up on the site yet as they are waiting for their web guy to upload it.

WOW,that really sucks! I had no idea it was that much,but because it is I am out. It definitely is not a budget minded upgrade,perhaps it's more for the autox guy looking for every last bit of handling?

Oh well.

-
Back