Removing the engine tips needed..

-

694spd

Reaction score
I getting ready to pull the 340 engine and 4 speed trans. out of my 69 Dart. Is it easier to pull the two out as one unit or should I pull engine and 4 speed separately?

I always pull as a unit. I put my last one in from the bottom tho. MT

Bell housing bolts suck bad. I have done both and pulling as a unit is what I prefer simply because it gives me an excuse to double check everything on the transmission as well. I change the fluids and gaskets and seals when I have the trans out of the car.

I am sure you were already planning on doing this but if you have headers leave them in place.

I slid my trans out from underneath first and then pulled the motor with the bell still attached.

I just dropped mine out the bottom. Bought some moving dollies from Harbor Freight and lowered the engine/K frame onto a larger one and the trans onto a smaller one. We used a cherry picker on the engine and I crawled under and pull the cross member bolts and held the tail shaft while my dad lowered it all. I have Doug's headers and this was by far easiest without beating the crap out of the headers and engine bay. I used drive on ramps for the rear so the car will pivot while you jack up the front and slide it all forward. You'll have to pull the drive shaft, unload and slide the torsion bars back, unbolt the calipers, undo the upper ball joints, remove the z bar and shifter handle, plus the usual stuff to pull the motor. I pulled the radiator too because I'm going to replace it.
I think I could do it all again in a few hours.

I slid my trans out from underneath first and then pulled the motor with the bell still attached.

X2 was easier for me, especially with a nice painted firewall, put two ratchet straps around the torsion bars and let the straps rest on the bottom of bell housing, just to support the rear of the engine when you pull the tranny out, pull trans, then pull engine, easier for me then trying to disconnect the sub frame as you have to disconnect some suspension components but everyone has theyre preffered way

I've pulled my engine several times for different reasons. I've tried it every way. BUT, pulling the trans first then the engine works the best in my opinion. The transmission isn't that heavy by itself so it's not hard to man handle or you could use a jack or a special transmission jack. When I tried to.pull them as a unit it was more of a pain trying to get the balancer to clear the radiator support. It's an A body, if it was anything else I would probably do it as a unit.

Either way will be a learning experience for you.If this is your first engine/Trans pull,bag and tag every bolt,clip for an easier install.will take the guessing out of..Where,s this go?LOL

If you pull the transmission off then there's less to bash against the firewall when removing/installing. Having said that.. each time I pull my engine I pull the transmission out with it. I just use zip tie wizardry to hold my headers out of the way, then get one or two people to help wiggle it out without scratching my paint. If I was removing it by myself I'd take the transmission off and lift the engine out.

Either way will be a learning experience for you.If this is your first engine/Trans pull,bag and tag every bolt,clip for an easier install.will take the guessing out of..Where,s this go?LOL

Not the first motor that I have pulled, but the first one in several years. I'm dealing with headers and a Lakewood steel bell housing. The torsion go through the headers. So the bars will have to come out before the headers do.
I have car sitting on the highest setting of my jack stands and I looking at the tranny saying it would be easy to pull it out right now with the car up like it is, but then there is the problem of supporting the back of the engine with the trans out.

just pull the engine , leave trans in , take out rad , unbolt headers and lift
100_0767_zps8c537b43.jpg

Only from the bottom. Even with Gen II Hemi's....Do them all the time and NEVER had nick or scratch
number one. Super easy....Wouldn't dream of doing it any other way. You even leave the hood on!

Many times my brother Denny will do the entire job in complete solitude by himself.

472install-3.jpg

472install-5.jpg

472-4-2.jpg

Only from the bottom. Even with Gen II Hemi's....Do them all the time and NEVER had nick or scratch
number one. Super easy....Wouldn't dream of doing it any other way. You even leave the hood on!

Many times my brother Denny will do the entire job in complete solitude by himself.

472install-3.jpg

472install-5.jpg

472-4-2.jpg

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Easiest thing ever done. No stress no scratches and just plain easy!

Until you try it you will be scepticle! After you will not do it another way!!

If you pull the engine by itself, don't be a dummy like me. Be sure to remove the bell housing inspection cover since it captures the flywheel.

This is my first Mopar coming from a Ford world, on a 302/C4 or 302/T-5...I was used to just removing the the bell housing bolts, and then pulling the engine, so the inspection cover capturing the flywheel was new to me.

Good luck! Have fun!

Myself drop the tranny away from the bell housing, its what 4 bolt and shifter then pull motor and bell housing from top, it'll work all these ways, do it the way you feel or think you should do it!!!!!! All these suggestions are good 1's for sure

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Easiest thing ever done. No stress no scratches and just plain easy!

Until you try it you will be scepticle! After you will not do it another way!!

can you show me how to photoshop a hemi in my car?:glasses7:

Just make a carrier out of wood to support k member and drop out the bottom.

Attachments

• IMG_0126.JPG
    37.1 KB · Views: 395
Forgive me, I'm new to mopars, how the hell do you get the car high enough to pull it out the bottom?
Wouldn't it need to be about 3 or 4 feet in the air??????

Just make a carrier out of wood to support k member and drop out the bottom.

About 25 years ago I reinstalled a 340 back into a 68 Dart that I had from underside. This time I don't want to pull the K frame so I will be pulling the motor from above.
A friend told me yesterday that he pulls the motor out on Darts without removing the hood. That was news to me. I was thinking that the first thing I had to do was to take off the hood.

About 25 years ago I reinstalled a 340 back into a 68 Dart that I had from underside. This time I don't want to pull the K frame so I will be pulling the motor from above.
A friend told me yesterday that he pulls the motor out on Darts without removing the hood. That was news to me. I was thinking that the first thing I had to do was to take off the hood.
It doesn't have to be done but makes it easier. Without pulling the hood you have a bit less room to work with and less room for error.

he's right ...you do not have to take off the hood ....read my post from last year....i asked the same things as you did.... pulled the hole thing at once with a 904 auto in 20 minutes ...jack the car to the moon with the stands under the rearend ONLY ...front wheels on the ground.....engine plate on intake hook in middle hole.....did it all BUY MYSELF....put it back the same detailed with headers....have a post running in the restoration section under my first mopar tribute car ....it will be cake with a 4 speed !!!!!.....p.s. strip the lower front of the motor to the balancer gives you tons of room ...

-
Back