Removing the steering wheel?

-

hardcore5657

Reaction score
How do I remove the stock steering wheel on my 73 duster and replace it with a new one? How hard is it and is there any special tools required.

method 1. steering wheel puller.
method 2 (my Dad has better luck with this than I do). loosen nut holding steering wheel on so it is at the end of the shaft and the threads are protected. Put feet up on something so you can apply pressure to the underside of the steering wheel with your knees. Put a ball peen hammer on the nut, hit it with a 2nd hammer (multiple sharp raps, not a huge blow) and it should knock it loose after a while. Sometimes I will apply pressure to the bottom of the wheel with my knees and pull the top towards me with one hand. Hold ball peen hammer with same hand, and hit with hammer in other hand. sound interesting? it is.

Buy a puller, you'll thank yourself later.

Sometimes it's hard to spend money on tools, this is NOT one of those times. You can buy one for as little as ten dollars and at most twenty. The correct tools make working on cars enjoyable. Not having the right tools makes working on cars a PIA.

Regards,

Joe Dokes

method 1. steering wheel puller.
method 2 (my Dad has better luck with this than I do). loosen nut holding steering wheel on so it is at the end of the shaft and the threads are protected. Put feet up on something so you can apply pressure to the underside of the steering wheel with your knees. Put a ball peen hammer on the nut, hit it with a 2nd hammer (multiple sharp raps, not a huge blow) and it should knock it loose after a while. Sometimes I will apply pressure to the bottom of the wheel with my knees and pull the top towards me with one hand. Hold ball peen hammer with same hand, and hit with hammer in other hand. sound interesting? it is.
the key to that is "loosen nut holding steering wheel on so it is at the end of the shaft", and not 'remove nut completely'.
You only need to smack yourself in the forehead with a steering wheel once to learn that part:D

Sometimes it's hard to spend money on tools, this is NOT one of those times. You can buy one for as little as ten dollars and at most twenty. The correct tools make working on cars enjoyable. Not having the right tools makes working on cars a PIA.

Regards,

Joe Dokes

Ding... Ding... Ding... Ding....We got a winner.
Get a puller...Do it right.

Regards,

Joe Dokes

buy a bolt type puller it doubles as a harmonic balancer puller, incase you like to do other work to your car as well

the key to that is "loosen nut holding steering wheel on so it is at the end of the shaft", and not 'remove nut completely'.
You only need to smack yourself in the forehead with a steering wheel once to learn that part:D

LOL...good to know I'm not the only one that learned this part...too late. :banghead:

When I was 16 my dad and I were at a wrecking yard picking up parts. He found a perfect steering wheel for his dart of course we had no wheel puller with us. I climb in the car (no interior) pull the horn ring and nut off then grab a hold of that wheel, braced my feet and pulled for all I was worth. Dad gives it a whack with the hammer and I damn near ended up in the trunk of that old dart.

~Michael

dad and I were at a wrecking yard picking up parts. He found a perfect steering wheel for his dart of course we had no wheel puller with us.
~Michael

My experience a few weeks ago. I figured what the heck, loosened the nut and beat on the shaft with a 1/2" socket wrench while I pulled up with my knees. Took time, but it worked. No hammer, but I had WD-40. At home, I always use a puller. They are real cheap.

Re finding a new steering wheel, a decent period correct one is very expensive (~$150.), that is why I had to get that JY one. There are some nice after-market ones (Barry Grant), but need adapters, which can be confusing.

My experience a few weeks ago. I figured what the heck, loosened the nut and beat on the shaft with a 1/2" socket wrench while I pulled up with my knees. Took time, but it worked. No hammer, but I had WD-40. At home, I always use a puller. They are real cheap.

Re finding a new steering wheel, a decent period correct one is very expensive (~$150.), that is why I had to get that JY one. There are some nice after-market ones (Barry Grant), but need adapters, which can be confusing.

WOW is all I can say, remind me never to lend tools, I was always told tools aren't hammers:eek:ops:

I've made a few pullers over the years. First was a flywheel puller for Briggs and Straton.
A suitable piece of steel ( I use 3/4 square key steel ) With a couple of holes drilled through with correct spacing for the puller holes in the wheel. A couple of bolts or all thread and nuts.

remove the nut.

DSC_0104.jpg

use a wheel puller to get the wheel off..

DSC_0105.jpg

depending on the wheel your going to you me need an adapter kit.

Great pics Joe. Coming from the toolman..................buy a puller and do it right.

my junkyard puller consisted of taking the nut off , putting both feet on the dash, and rocking the wheel side to side until i break something or the wheel comes off lol. im 6 and 0 to date. the last one was a tuff wheel and adapter off a ramcharger and no puller:banghead:my duster wheel came off with hardly any effort.buy a puller

Loosen the nut to the top, brace your knees under it, move your head to the side, and smack it. Dealership techs do it.

I borrowed one than my son made me one at tech school but I sean them at harbor freight for 15. Makes the job fun to do and you can use it on balencers and other things.

I've had luck with a tie rod end puller if you have one laying around if not I would recommend buying a steering wheel puller well worth it!!!

-
Back