Replacement door hinges without bushings?

-

1MeanA

Reaction score
I'm looking at replacing my drivers side lower door hinge as its a bit sloppy. Looking at the AMD and OER hinge pics they are both bushed. It seems that bushed pins are not great as there is not much meat in the that area. Perhaps I worry too much as they won't get a ton of use. Shipping them south for rebuilding seems impractical. What has everyone done?

I used the RestoRick kit with the oversized pin on the hinges on my '66 Dart (as described in the thread). It worked perfectly. He even sells the proper reamer - at least, he used to. I'd reach out to him if you want to do it yourself. You may find the roller pin(s) to be badly worn though. I did have to make a couple of those to replaced the old ones. Alternatively, you can press them out, turn them 180*, reinstall, and zap a weld on the end to hold them.

Door hinge rebuild - Resto Rick Rebuild Kit

I used the RestoRick kit with the oversized pin on the hinges on my '66 Dart (as described in the thread). It worked perfectly. He even sells the proper reamer - at least, he used to. I'd reach out to him if you want to do it yourself. You may find the roller pin(s) to be badly worn though. I did have to make a couple of those to replaced the old ones. Alternatively, you can press them out, turn them 180*, reinstall, and zap a weld on the end to hold them.

Door hinge rebuild - Resto Rick Rebuild Kit
Founda link Restorations by Rick Kreuziger - Product and Component Restoration Detailed Information

I ordered Rick's kit. As a note the ream size is 0.406" and the Dorman bushing kit says 0.420" for the bushing so there is very little difference in 'meat' remaining in the hinge body.

You could also hit a wrecking yard and grab the lower hinge from a mid 90's Ram van (or new from Dorman 924-108). The hinge is the same, but you have to mod the 3rd hole to 3/4 inch. @moparmat2000 posted this swap a while back. With short doors I would think the used van hinge would be in pretty good shape.

96 ram van after .75 hole.jpg

Dorman 924-108 (96 Ram Van).jpg

I didn't know about that. They are only $80 on Amazon. If the hinge rebuild doesn't go well I will get them.

Where I used to work, we used to drill them oversize and fit a cut down old valve stem and tack them in. This was before these cars were so collectable, but it kept a lot of old beaters going at a moderate cost, plus if the tack weld was in the right spot, they didn't need repainting either.

-
Back