respline axles and chop the tubes

-

Johnny Mac

www.blueprintengines.com
FABO Vendor
Reaction score
So i have the age old dilema of too wide of a rear end. i'm running the 74 dart that i have pictured in my avatar with...a stock width b body rear end out of a 66 charger. i already have 5.5 inches of backspacing, and after installing a 8 inch race ATI converter, i'm thinking that the 9 inches of MTT et street tread i have at the rear may not cut it. (bracket raced every weekend) the motor is a 408 with 480 some ft lbs of torque. there is ZERO room to come outward on the rims. but before fully understanding my geometry several years ago, i did a spring relocation giving me the inward space i need for alot bigger tires.

here's my question:
what is my best/cheapest/ most resourceful way to get more tire under the car.

first i was considering getting the tubes cut, and getting my stock axles resplined (since i already have press on green bearings installed)

this would allow me to use the parts i have, including the wheels (which were also a pretty penny,weld draglites)

some might point in the direction, of buying stock A body length axles and just cutting the tubes, but again thats more $ for bearing pressed on again, and then i am stuck with my old axles.

a buddy who is more...modern muscle than old school, pointed out the idea that he has had aluminum wheels cut, and had a piece added...this seems rather smart considering my outward spacing would not change, but they could add almost 4 inches inward worth of rim...may be more cost effective than all the narrowing and spline work.

whats everyones opinion? i'd really like to reuse as much as possible since i bought it once already!
any better ideas?
anyone know where in the OH area to get tubes cut and axles resplined or the wheels done?

thanks guys!!

You don't have enough meat on those axles until you get them much shorter than you're wanting. There's a taper to too small a diameter right off the existing splines. If you got the C-body or truck axles that you would need, expect close to $200 (including shipping) to get the axles shortened and resplined. Then add another $150-200 to get the housing narrowed. Wheels are widened all the time, but will they pass tech? Or would you really feel safe with a wheel that would have NO guarantee? The easiest, best solution is new wheels, but maybe not the cheapest.

i kinda agree with the wheel theory...looking at new ones custom from weld (so they match the front) vs getting the ones i have cut...may be the lesser of 2 evils.

Is it minitubbed? no tub, you're really limited to a about a 11.5" section width tire

There are cars running 9's on 9" slicks/tires.

ya i might be anticipating the worst, i know cars can hook on 9 inch tires...i've been doing it for years...just know this new motor/converter is gonna snap alot harder off the line...its got a spring relocation so i know the space isn't the same as a full tub...but there's enough room with moving the rim inward one way or another to get more tire under there...but i guess we'll see how it hooks before i got cutting anything!

if your springs are moved and you had a abody rearend you could fit a 29/10.5w m/t slick back there with mini tub.. thats what i had on my 70 duster witha 10" rim and 5" backspace weld pro star.....that tire is i think a little over 11" wide if i remm. corr. but i could be off just a little getting lod hahaha

i see weld has added a 7.5 backspacing rim to the lineup since the years i had bought mine.,,$215 a piece...probably still cheaper than a chop and axles...but we'll see how it hooks with what it has in a few weeks!

My car has relocated springs, widened wheelwells, and stock width A-body rear with 11x2.5 brakes. I run a pair of Convo Pros. 15x9 with 6.5" backspace. Hoosier 275-15 drag radials. Fits fine, there is even room to go wider. I don't think they would fit without the widened wheelwells, though.

As far as resplining an axle goes, you will have to remove about 3.5" per axle before they will respline them. Check with Moser, it's on their web site.

some one sells axles that you chop yurself. I have seen em but cannot remember where.(oldstimers..). I guess you jus hackem with the chop saw or somethin like that.
they are not too expensive. (they use the greens also)

i've only seen those cut to suit axles for the ford rear ends, but maybe someone makes them for the mopars now too.

-
Back