retiring

-

Tadams

Tadams
Reaction score
The company I worked for found that I was thinking about retiring at 64. So they called yesterday and ask for the keys and told me I didn't fit into their current plans. So, I'm officially retired. Now if the temperature would get above freezing for a day or two, I'll get to work on my 65 Barracuda.

Well, On the bright side, Congratulations!

There's nothing to stop you from retiring and taking on a part time job, or opening a small business of your own if you like.

Well if they let you go. You could use unemployment for awhile. Till your social security kicks in!

Well, if you were thinking about retirement anyway, push came to shove, and now you are.

File for social security, your of enough age to do so.

Easy to do over the internet.

I had already applied for social security, first check comes the 4th Thursday of this month, so it's all good. Just kind of a shock and feels strange being at home. I would love to work on my car, but it's 33 outside and not suppose to be above freezing for several days. Then a couple of chances for snow. Think I'll bring the front seats inside and tear them down. Once the new seat covers warm up I could cover the front seats and clean the rear seat. Hopefully it will clean well enough to go with the front ones. Have an awesome day

Congrats! Time will just fly by for you now that there are no real schedules for you to follow. I suggest making a list for yourself to follow. I keep forgetting to do projects unless they show up on the list.

yes FILE for your unemployment. I would also see an labor lawyer. first visit should be free. yes, decide if you want to start drawing S S now or later, realize NO medicare till 65.

if you are like me, its hard to be " retired". it takes some getting used to NOT having to go to work. I like to be busy, doing something useful.... I work seasonal part time to get a few extra $$ for my car projects. if I had the $$$ I would be perfectly happy putering around with my cars all day, every day! also understand this, as we get older , its hard to do things, so do the things in life you love while yo u still can??

I've made this statement before ( some people I assume that were CEO's, big business etc) don't agree with, but its my opinion, corp. now days could care less about anything except putting another $$$$ in their pocket. you are another prime example.

I feel as we get older, if we watch how people treat and regard you, it tells you what people to steer clear of. sad but true!???

so get that well deserved retirement time!! you worked all your life and YOU deserve it!!!!!!

Dang, Tommy. Congrats......I think? LOL. I would definitely check to see if you can file for unemployment. That was kinda dirty the way they did you. Just take the lemons and make lemonade out of it! :prayer:

Companies can and do anything they want and for any reason. But you should be able to file an unemployment claim.
I'm being pushed out too, they want 35 year old people.
Congrats on your retirement!

Congrats on the Retirement. And yes it does take some time to get used to it.

Thanks everyone. I can't wait to get out in the garage and get started on my car. Wish it wasn't so cold the next few days. Who knows, I may have her ready for Rockingham April 2.

Well now you will get all the time you need with the Cuda. As long as the wife is ok with it. Congrats Tommy

I went ahead and retired at the end of last year. 64.5 My company is closing all its R&D in Raleigh-Durham. I could have waited another year and got a severance as well..... Even in US you can't be 'forced' to retire. That is age discrimination. But anyway nobody has come forward offering me a boatload of money to consult. Idon't really want them to :). It took me about 4 hours to get used to retirement. I hope to have the Duster at Rockingham. Will be great to meet you.

Dennis

Congratulations. Have fun with your new job! I can't wait!

Thanks for the good wishes. North Carolina is a free hire state which means a company can release an employee at anytime and do not have to give you a reason. It's all good though. I am excited about being able to complete my 4 years of gathering parts and taking the Barracuda apart. I am good financially, not wealthy, but ok. My wife is 56 so has a few years to work. Sometime , I wish she could retire as well. She isn't into cars, but the company would be nice. At present, we have my daughter and her husband., a 3 month old granddaughter, my 2 sons living here. The youngest is in college and will graduate this year and probably move away. My daughter and her husband will move soon with their daughter. The other son will move by summer. It will be empty for sure. Have a wonderful day everyone.

I think the thing that gets me is for last year I was no 4 in the company in sales. The 30 year old blonde was no 17. I have got to get over it, but it pissed me off. They sent an email advising employees that I was not allowed in any of the 2500 stores they have.

Retired 10 years ago. Since then everyday is Saturday. Love it Enjoy.

Looking forward to that in a couple years. I will probably work part time delivering parts or something just for mad money.

I think the thing that gets me is for last year I was no 4 in the company in sales. The 30 year old blonde was no 17. I have got to get over it, but it pissed me off. They sent an email advising employees that I was not allowed in any of the 2500 stores they have.

Damn, that's harsh!! However, a couple of nice warm days working in the garage on the Barracuda, you'll forget all about that stuff!!

-
Back