RHS - head 416 at the track - part duex...

-

dusterdoug

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
This saga last left off with us getting the 12:1, flat tappet cam RHS head 416 to go 10.50's @ 130, through the muffs @ 3100 lbs. Back at it tonight...

We had THOUGHT the motor had 30 degrees of timing. Guess that's why we shouldn't be THINKING as the timing light showed 28 degrees. Oops. So with a real 30 degrees, with a little less air temp (95), but similar DA (increased humidity) here's where we are now:

10.42 @ 130 (2500 at the hit/5800 shifts)
10.41 @ 130 (2500 again/5800 shifts)
10.33 @ 131.95 (2500 again/6400 shifts)

***EDIT and APOLOGIES*** I didn't have the time slip in front of me and was mixing 1/8 mile and 1/4 speeds. **It only went 131.02 mph on that last run...104.95 at the 1/8**

Still through the muffs, didn't touch anything else.

Can't say enough about that Bullet cam and those RHS heads!

A couple of vids to come later tomorrow...

Hey Doug,

Since it picked up going from 28* to 30* timing in it, have you thought about raising the timing to 32-34*, when my 410 was on the Dyno it made the most power with 34* total timing. I have the RHS heads also, M1 Intake port matched with 750 Mighty Demon and digital 6 ignition. My compression though is only 10.2:1, my cam is 256* intake @50 and 260* @ 50 exhaust with .618 intake lift and .626 exhaust on the cam card. 106* lobe separation installed at 103*ICL. It is a HUGHES SOLID FLAT TAPPET CAM HTL5660AS

It made the most power at 5900RPM or so and only Dropped 12 HP when taking it to 6500 RPM, FWIW

Your car Getttttttttttttttts Downnnnnnnnnnnnn!

For Iron Heads anyway................haaaaaaaaaaa:-D

Hey Doug,

Since it picked up going from 28* to 30* timing in it, have you thought about raising the timing to 32-34*, when my 410 was on the Dyno it made the most power with 34* total timing. I have the RHS heads also, M1 Intake port matched with 750 Mighty Demon and digital 6 ignition. My compression though is only 10.2:1, my cam is 256* intake @50 and 260* @ 50 exhaust with .618 intake lift and .626 exhaust on the cam card. 106* lobe separation installed at 103*ICL. It is a HUGHES SOLID FLAT TAPPET CAM HTL5660AS

It made the most power at 5900RPM or so and only Dropped 12 HP when taking it to 6500 RPM, FWIW

Your car Getttttttttttttttts Downnnnnnnnnnnnn!

For Iron Heads anyway................haaaaaaaaaaa:-D

Yea, ALUMINUM if for beer cans! NO BASHING guys...I am JUST playin'...

We would have went to 32* and then 34* next runs but ran out of time. Also wanted to step on the jets as we're just guessing there, too. Got there late thinking (there's that word again) that there wouldn't be too many cars there. WRONG!

Thing that bothers me is that I can't say where it makes the power as we didn't dyno it. I can't even say for sure that "it makes more power" shifting it a 6400 vs. 5800 as the rpm could have effected the way it recovered in the shifts...

Mad Dart...go get a TIMESLIP!!

Did it pick up some 60' time?

Nice runs.

It did, cracked. 1.47, 1.48 last time out. This time 1.44, 1.44, 1.43. Still a little lazy, if we could get it go 1.37-39 in the summer air here, I'd be much happier...

Still haven't touched the Cal Tracs and it pulls to left after the initial hit. It's not violent so it's not a real issue but we need to fix that, too.

Let's hope this works:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3lkB7sXzx_c"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3lkB7sXzx_c[/ame]

10.33 @ 131.95*** (2500 again/6400 shifts)

***EDIT and APOLOGIES*** I didn't have the time slip in front of me and was mixing 1/8 mile and 1/4 speeds. **It only went 131.02 mph on that last run...104.95 at the 1/8**

Nope, didn't work. Nice times, though. Is that cam a custom grind? I take it you put a cage in after getting kicked off the first time you ran.?

does not need cage unless it goes 9.99 or faster...as long as it has original firewall and floor...

nhra rules....roll bar good until 9.99 as long as car has original firewall and flooring...

Yea, ALUMINUM if for beer cans! NO BASHING guys...I am JUST playin'...

We would have went to 32* and then 34* next runs but ran out of time. Also wanted to step on the jets as we're just guessing there, too. Got there late thinking (there's that word again) that there wouldn't be too many cars there. WRONG!

Thing that bothers me is that I can't say where it makes the power as we didn't dyno it. I can't even say for sure that "it makes more power" shifting it a 6400 vs. 5800 as the rpm could have effected the way it recovered in the shifts...

Mad Dart...go get a TIMESLIP!!

Yeah, I know I need to take it out and get a few. Mine is a 4spd with 3.55 gears. I mostly go street hunting. If I was seriously going to race the car I would at least have some 3.91's of 4:10's in it. I have a Brand new 3rd member with Sure Grip. It is getting used in my 67 Dart Project. The motor is already done on that one, and YES it has RHS Heads on it from Brian at IMM Engines!!!!!

I am hoping with you increasing the timing along with your shift point you will get a 10.00 flat, could you imagine getting a 9.98, that would really shut some people upppppppppppppp!:cheers:

Some nice runs indeed!What size tires and gears?Also what convertor and carb?Your car is hooking good!

11.5x29.5 Phoenix tires
4.56's. Like to try 4.30's...maybe this winter

Converter is a Continental 8", freshened up by a local Nor Cal Stock/SS converter guy...Len Schneider. Don't know what it flashes at yet; driver can't tell me. Play-back tach is going in pretty soon. Should be right around 5000-5200 we "think".

Carb is a STOCK, 25 year old 4780 Holley (800 DP) it has jets, nozzels and and the scondary power valve blocked and a 3.5 in the front...all just a guess.

Had it running, flattened the cam. Gotta tear it down.

Is that bullet cam a custom grind? I'm in the market for a cam now.

Man that car runs good!! And nice job on the video too!

That thing's got a pair THIS BIG.
I'm not impressed by much, but that's one stout timeslip.:notworth:

Gotta love these smallblocks and these heads..I'm glad I picked up a set and I can't wait to go out and tear up some stuff with the mighty POS Dakota!:-D

Had it running, flattened the cam. Gotta tear it down.

Is that bullet cam a custom grind? I'm in the market for a cam now.

What the &$*#?? I'm sorry to hear that. Yes, Tim ground it for the combo we have. I also have to give him props: Great service, shipped the date he said it would. Ordered on a Thursday afternoon, shipped the following Monday.

Not to open a can o' worms, but do you know what caused this??

-
Back