Right rear sticking

-

SpeedracerX

Still on this side of the dirt member
Reaction score
Hey gang... So one of the projects this winter was getting my rear end housing fixed. When we started taking things apart we realized the right rear axle seal was leaking. So there was fluid in the drum and on the shoes. When it all went back together everything seemed fine for about 20 minutes. Til the brakes got hot. Then when you would almost come to a stop you could feel the right rear trying to lock up... Like the brakes would grab.. Made a god awful racket. Car would sit and cool, take it back out all would be fine til it got hot again....

It occurred to us we forgot to clean the inside of the drum or the shoes. So we assumed it was the residual gear oil causing this issue... So we changed shoes, and I cleaned the drum, even took some 80 grit sandpaper to it... Drove the car today. A good bit further and thought all was fixed. Suddenly the right rears back to grabbing. Get it hot enough when you take your foot off the brake to pull out it will still be grabbing and making noises ..then let's go.... It never did this before we tore the rear down,,, it makes no sense to me... Any thoughts? Could it be us getting the drum hot when it was still lined with gear oil messed the drum up...

I thought maybe it was a wheel bearing or something cause of the noise and the way it feels when it does this... But that made no sense as a wheel bearing that's bad would be symptomatic all the time right? Help... I'm frustrated

It could how we checked them was pull the drum off and have someone step on the pedal while you hold 2 screw drivers on the backing plate grooves so the shoes wont go out too far and pop the pistons out. if both shoes come out and then retract it is probably not the cylinder.

I've seen the hold down springs weaken with time and allow the shoes to droop and lock up. Maybe you are on the edge and the heat makes it worse. New hold down spring are a cheap fix. Best of luck.

You are using the SAME SHOES???

Get rid of them. If they are soaked in gear oil / brake fluid, you'll never ever get them clean.

Replace 'em.

Also check do the drums need turned? Adjustment? "Mike" the drums for size.

X2 on new shoes and no grooves or lips in the drums.
The rubber brake line from the rear to the body can go bad and have an intermittent blockage, not allowing the brake fluid to return. I would think that it would affect both brakes, but fluid dynamics can be funny sometimes.

Also, did you adjust the axle end play by turning in the large threaded part of the axle retainer? Did you reattach the little clip under one of the five retainer bolts that keeps it from turning? An axle slopping in and out 1/16 of an inch would do weird stuff too.

Also, did you adjust the axle end play by turning in the large threaded part of the axle retainer? Did you reattach the little clip under one of the five retainer bolts that keeps it from turning? An axle slopping in and out 1/16 of an inch would do weird stuff too.

That's a good possibility as well.

BTW, you NEED new brake shoes, the oil soaked ones are toast.

I replaced the oil soaked shoes... Then cleaned the drum and hit it with some 80 grit and it's still doing this... As for axle slop, I did adjust the end play and the clip is in place.. I figured it wasn't axle slop as it only happens after it heats up.

Perchance did the primary and secondary brake shoes get reversed when installing the new shoes? Also, did you check the arc of the news shoes veresus the arc of the drum to see if they were farily close?

Did you grease the backing plates on the contact points for the shoes? 3 flat spots on each side.

With the brake shoes removed, try moving the wheel cylinder pistons by hand with your fingers and see if they move freely or are difficult. You should be able to push the pistons from side to side with your fingers and not feel very much resistance.

I would swap the drums side to side to see if the problem goes to the other side, if it does the drum is the problem. If it doesn't it is springs or wheel cylinder.

Try arching your shoes. I used a mini-belt sander, just tickled both ends of both shoes and it made a big difference. I also switched to 7/8" slave cylinders in the rear.

Gonna pull the right rear down tonight.. anyone think this could be an axle bearing issue? Would a bearing only act up when its hot? I mean I am fairly confident its a brake thing.. but just in case... lol

I would not think it to be a bearing causing this.

I would tend to agree... only thing is the passenger side was the side that was leaking.. so, the grease in the bearing was kinda washed out by the gear oil... I looked at them, they looked ok, I didnt feel anything obviously wrong with them.. So I repacked them and slapped the axle back in... but now I am kind of second guessing that decision..

Pretty much 100% not due to the bearing; I can only imagine it spewing some grease and getting on the shoe lining as a possibility. Focus on the brake components.

Gonna pull the right rear down tonight.. anyone think this could be an axle bearing issue? Would a bearing only act up when its hot? I mean I am fairly confident its a brake thing.. but just in case... lol

I seriously doubt it's a bearing issue.

Are the shoes on in mullet fashion? :D Short in the front and long in the rear?

And have you checked that wheel cylinder to be sure it's returning to full rest?

Pretty much 100% not due to the bearing; I can only imagine it spewing some grease and getting on the shoe lining as a possibility. Focus on the brake components.

Thing is, like I said, I replaced the shoes and cleaned the drum and even hit it with some 80 grit... The problem came right back

Is it "for sure" grabbing? Maybe there's a problem with the opposite side, and the side that's "grabbing" is doing all the work.

Are you sure it's the brakes causing the noise? A sticky differential will make a noise when pulling out from a stop. Especially if you are turning. It could just be that it needs the additive added to the gear oil.
See if you can duplicate the problem by jacking the rear of the car up & run it & stopping the wheels. Have someone observe what's happening in the rear.
Good luck, let us know what you find.

Is it "for sure" grabbing? Maybe there's a problem with the opposite side, and the side that's "grabbing" is doing all the work.

Well I'm not "for sure" at all... All I know is that's what it feels like.. And it is def the right side. And only after it gets hot...

Are you sure it's the brakes causing the noise? A sticky differential will make a noise when pulling out from a stop. Especially if you are turning. It could just be that it needs the additive added to the gear oil.
See if you can duplicate the problem by jacking the rear of the car up & run it & stopping the wheels. Have someone observe what's happening in the rear.

I have the additive in, and the right amount of gear oil..

You might be onto something there, I just reread the OP.

Hey gang... So one of the projects this winter was getting my rear end housing fixed. When we started taking things apart we realized the right rear axle seal was leaking.

Bill, what was the repair issue??

-
Back