Rocky Start Resto..

-
Jim,

We never intended to go this far :) but it is what it is..

I cannot claim the lifting the car up and sliding the engine under idea..that was directly from the good folks on this board..who are a invaluable resource.

I wouldn't be doing this if not for the kids..kids are expensive and you might as well get your monies worthout of them by playing with them and working with them solving a problem is a blast. And at the end they will know the car and not be taken by some garage wanting to replace the muffler bearings.

You should post with some pics..we like pics..

I know Boise is large but we have a set of very good friends who call Boise their home...do you know hank and donna corless ?

Ian

No don't think I know them. I will start posting pics but it's a slow going as my son has football every day. He told me to stop doing stuff to it. I'm going to have him strap the gas tank to the cement mixer tonight with a chain inside to get rust out. We didn't have time or money to paint. He can do that at the Auto Tech center at high school. Take care.

It was just a shot in the dark :). Yes, sports start in 2 weeks..back on the treadmill for us parents.

Good luck...will be watching for your posts.

ian.

Hi Ian Great job . Did you find the duster in Nova Scotia , I live in eastern on. found a 75 north of Kitchener on and it is a rust bucket but I new that when I bought it . I want to do sheet metal and this one is a challenge. I have a great running 98 Dakota to do a drive train transplant . Did you change the slant 6 k member or are you fabing up v8 motor mounts . I won't start my car till next year I do woodworking and my shop is tied up until then . All the best Bob Jones

Thank you for your kind words.

We bought the car in NS but it is from Ottawa. I don't weld...probably a big mistake,,so we wanted a rust free car. Sometimes it feels that the rebuild is never going to end...wiring is the bane of my existence. The PO grease and graphited the car and hit the wiring with tar.

What was supposedly a flip the drive train has become a complete strip down ..we left the glass and dash in...waaay above my pay grade :)

We had hoped to have it running but it has been harder than we thought...haven't given up yet :)

Where about are you from...my wife is from Gan and my best bud it up towards TO..

ian.

Hi Ian good to hear a reply ,Not so good with this computer stuff took me a day or two to figure out how to reply Duh . Ya, we live 15 miles east of Bon Echo Prov. park 1.5 hrs north of Kingston . I used to live in Oshawa , done 31 years on the line at GM and retired here to the sticks, love it here now I can do what I want to do . Anyway I have always been a mopar guy . The old Dakota is off the road since I bought a GM truck in 09 ,That's when I decided to get the old Duster, had one in High school. Good luck with your build and have a great day. Bob

Bob...you wouldn't happen to know Gerald Toporowski from your plant ?

Ian

Sorry Ian at one time there were 3 assembly plants and umpteen other areas in the complex that people worked, 35 years ago there were over 20,000 people and that is just hourly personal I have no clue as the number of management there were in there . I did work in a lot of areas there but the last 10 years or so I worked in the Truck plant body shop on shift 1 as a fork truck driver delivering parts to the line .Now I think there are only about 3500 people or so still employed there so it is just a shadow of its previous self . Anyway to your question no I don't recall your friend, there were lots of great people from down east that headed up to Oshawa over the years for work and ended up at G.M. Sorry to drone on . Have a great day sorry it took me so long to respond as I was away for a while . Bob

[FONT=&quot]Well, we had done a bit more since my last update.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]We went to a car show late August that was held on several paved parking lots. I stayed too long and did something to my spine so I cannot stand very long now without my left leg going quite numb with accompanying pain so my garage time has been cut down. I also started school first of September…feels kind of funny because I am 3 times of age as most of the kids…[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]So in complete random order of what we have done since the last update…[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]We finished torqueing the suspension then greased all the fittings. I donated to the car a grease pump for the kids to use in the future [/FONT]J[FONT=&quot].[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]We tried to install our 17 inch Mustang rims on the front of the car but found the UCA was hitting the rim. After inquiring on FABO, no one else was running this combo so we had to trouble shoot it to see if they would work. The existing studs were too short fit through the rim holes so we took the brake router off and pounded out the studs. We then inserted 2 inch bolts and a stack of washers then put the rim on. We put a jack underneath the tire and turned the wheel back and forth. We found that 1 ½ worked great so I installed new studs and bought a set of adapters. The rims fit quite well. We have fiddled with the front ride height but suspect we will have to re adjust after we drive it a bit.[/FONT]

On the left you can se the seats that would not work...and the new to us mirror..
i-XL.jpg

[FONT=&quot]Installed the dizzy, we found that the hold down clip does not come with the orange box electronic ignition and dizzy.. was very surprised we were able to get one from Chrysler Canada..the parts guy picked it out of Toronto and said it was the last one in Canada.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]We finally we able to attach the alternator to our engine with the correct brackets and spacers. Big thanks to 66plyValiant for his search and the parts..he is a FABO member who lives just outside Windsor, NS.[/FONT]
f-XL.jpg

[FONT=&quot]
Glued the oil dip stick in with loctite red. Had to change the gas line route from the pump to accommodate the alternator.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]All brake lines including the rubber ones for the front brakes – we relocated the proportioning valve from the frame so I could work on it as well as move it away from the headers.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]I have built a template for the console out of wood. We have made some changes due to the relocation of our radio. I didn’t want to cut up the dash and because we are installing speakers in the console, we decided to put it under the dash. We thought about in the glove compartment.. but there isn’t a remote and I thought a possible accident waiting to happen. Actually found a pod that installed under the dash quite nicely. We are just waiting for the driver’s seat to be installed to finish the console.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]
h-XL.jpg
[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]We have one bucket seat in. Because the previous seats I bought couldn’t work, I bought a set of generic buckets with great head support. The passenger side went in easily but the floor pan on driver’s side is different from previous models different in ’75 due to the catalectic converter, I made up a dummy runner in wood and it is presently being converted to metal .. …another reason I should have bought a welder. [/FONT]
c-XL.jpg

[FONT=&quot]Installing the engine bay wiring harness ..it is a nightmare. Should have labeled everything before we cleaned the tar off of it. Hindsight is always 20/20. We also seem to have many more wires than the ’74 due to the amount of pollution control. I now have a thick bundle of extraneous wiring…not sure what I am going to do with it.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]With some help, I now have bypassed the ballast (I have a 3 ohm coil). [/FONT]
e-XL.jpg

g-XL.jpg

[FONT=&quot]Had a heck of a time getting fitting for the hoses for my Edelbrock Intake Manifold. Not available at NAPA nor some other shops..I couldn’t get the right size/thread. I just happened into a farm machinery store and wow..do they ever have a great selection. Wish I had know this earlier.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]So the radiator has been installed and all the hoses run.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Carb went on as well as the air cleaner. The gas lines are hooked up to it. Just need to install the accelerator cable and the Lokar kick down adapters and cable.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]I had bought the MOPAR grommets for the MOPAR performance valve covers so I could install the pcv and breather in the valve covers without drilling but that just didn’t look right in one care and didn’t work properly in the other so I had them drilled.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Battery tray and windshield washer bottle installed. When I was doing some wire brush cleaning iin the engine bay, the wheel caught a windshield washer tube and subsequently broke the “F” fixture which distributes the fluid to both nozzles. Replaced the “f” fixture and all the tubes as well. The old “f” fixture that I took out just crumbled in my hand..[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]We have installed the power brake unit in… twice..and have taken it out twice..it takes up a lot of room and we think now it should be installed after the steering shaft. [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]A passenger side mirror has been installed…looks good. Installed fender blinkers. When we went to car shows this year, we took measurements on where they should be. I quite like the look.[/FONT]
b-XL.jpg

[FONT=&quot]Finally bought a speedo for our custom cluster and found it looked ugly with my other gauges so I bought new gauges. I am presently fabricating the cluster. I would like it in before we install the steering. Presently working out the right wire to tap into for the new gauges, etc...[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]The power steering mounts and attached hydraulic lines to pump are now in.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Touched up the interior and repainted some bits and pieces …including the steering wheel..in black. I didn’t like the steering wheel in light gray.[/FONT]
a-XL.jpg

[FONT=&quot]Finally installed the Lokar transmission tube.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]We cut and installed the spark plug wires…not sure if we are completely happy with the results..once every thing else in installed, we will revisit them and perhaps shorten them again.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Started to run the wires for the stereo..had to fabricate a grommet that goes through the firewall.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]If I can do it, the plan is to start the engine soon ..it has been a long haul and he is very anxious to hear it…[/FONT]

Well, we failed to reach our goal this year to either have the car on the road by September or at least start it...but we had lots of fun ! Work on her essentially stopped when the kids and I went back to school in September. My son , who is an athlete, went back to v-ball and we have been traveling every weekend. Me going back to school has created some physical challenges..the last one is where my slower spine shifted and pinched pinched my sciatic nerve for my right leg. My other physical problems have been kept at bay by my osteopath and deep tissue massage person.

So the car is now outside, on stands, covered with a really good car cover.

We has put all fluids in the car hoping we could start it but that didn't happen. Most of the wiring has been sorted out but I will need help next March. The car has to be on the road by my son's graduation. The front driver seat is now installed..I used a piece of wood to make a template for one seat adapter...it too the company over a month to take a piece of metal and put 2 bends into it...crumbs..

I finished the console insert and installed it into the old console frame. Here is a pic.

_IGP8796-L.jpg

Many thanks for the folks that helped us.

Calum, Sarah, & Ian.

Thanks. It is a classy way to bring up the gauges in the instrument panel for cheap. Now everything but the tach, is easy to see..and as an added bonus, get rid of the fake wood grain :)

Ian

..it is not one of the high profile ones..no hemi, no major bodywork :) :) :) :) just a couple kids and a dad trying to do something on a string budget. ..and thank you.

Wrote an exam yesterday and today, just about finished the console...it is mostly dry fitted and now I will put back together with glue..await placement of the shifter..then have it covered..

Ian.

..it is not one of the high profile ones..no hemi, no major bodywork :) :) :) :) just a couple kids and a dad trying to do something on a string budget. ..and thank you.

Wrote an exam yesterday and today, just about finished the console...it is mostly dry fitted and now I will put back together with glue..await placement of the shifter..then have it covered..

Ian.
No matter on any of that. Its looking fantastic, what are the rims and whats the clour your going? keep it up bud lookin great. I hope to have mine out this year but not painted..Honestly dont care LOL

Crazy plum..and those rims are off a 2007 Mustang 'gt. i had them in my garage and they were free :)

My manta to the kids is " if you want something different than what I am willing to do, wait until you leave the house and you can do anything you want to since you shall be paying the $s" :)

I am now selling off some MOPAR bits and pieces to get ready for the final push.

Ian :)

Hopefully we will see your car this summer! You have come a long way with this project and I for one as looking forward to seeing it in person.

The *BIG* push is to have it for the kid's graduation. Including paint.

Here is the console, dry fit. I will take it apart and use both glue and screws to keep it together...and some wood putty to make it really flat. It shall be covered with black vinyl.

i am not quite happy with it yet. I think I will drip the flat where the shifter is a bit.

We need to have him sit in the car and drop his hand on it si it fits...then I will put coffee cup holders in it :) what did we ever do without them.

I am thinking a piece of metal between the sides with bolts going down into the trans hump to hold the thing on...trying to figure out if that will work.

Anyway, a few pics.

console%201-XL.jpg

console%202-XL.jpg

I wasn’t quite satisfied with the console and I had to take it apart anyway so I changed up a few things.

I lined the inside of the cubby with the same material that will be going on the outside.
c4-XL.jpg

I also dropped the board that the shifter will be attached to by ¾ inch.
c5-XL.jpg

I sanded off all the sharp edges and filled in most of the screw holes and any holes in the wood so the material will lay flat. I still have to fit it to the car so final adjustments/covering cannot happen until spring.
c3-XL.jpg

I have decided on a pipe fitting to make the cup holders..it give it the industrial look.
c1-L.jpg

With the shifter...
c2-XL.jpg

I will also be including led lights at all 4 corners to light the interior at night.

Is spring soon ? :)

Lol I wish it were spring already!! I really hate winter....nice console! Best way around stupid prices for 50 yr old crap is to make it yourself. Those prices are the reason I havent found a 4 speed yet...more likely I will stick with the 727,it's already paid for!

Major winds last night took out the back section of my cruddy portable garage. During the heavy winds, I went in and opened up the front door to take some pressure off the frame. The only thing that was holding the unit down were the 10 ratchet straps holding it to the ground and together. I added 2 more last night and expected it to be gone when I woke up. I wasn't.

the movement actually sheared a coupe of bolts, we broke a pole or two but we jury rigged a drop off (plastic) mat as a rear door. Moved some of the hld downs and added a few more. I can see that these usints are really only good for one season.

Hopefully, it will stay up for a while longer.

Another storm tonight. damn...

If winter would just leave we could continue rehabbing our ancient Plymouth Dusters.....
Hang in there Ian

-
Back