Roll bar or not!!!???

-

Dubob

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone. I am at a crossroad on my Demon. I will be running an MRL built 440, dynoed at 560HP and 575ft/lbs tq. I have searched and searched but no definitive answer. I've had two separate body men, both drag racers, one an Abody guy, tell me I should really install at least a 6 pt roll bar. I am running 28x12x15 rear tires. The car has been frame tied. My primary intentions with the car is street maybe track once or twice a year. I guess what I'm after is some experienced advice from others. This is a new realm for me and I don't want to spend 4 years and untold hours putting this together and then have something twist and mess it up. Thanks for the input.

At our track if you run 11.49 or quicker it's mandatory. You should run quicker than that. So you will need it. Plus it strengthens it even more than just frame connectors. So if I were you and you plan on taking it to the track install the roll bar.

Fred B

as said above...11.49 and faster needs a 6 pt roll bar...actually do a 8 pt and tie the main hoop into the frame rail......the door bar can have swing out to make it easier to get in and out

I got to agree! I haven't ever had mine on the track and I have a full 10 point cage in it.I admit there has been a little street racing (weekly in summer) For one thing it really stiffened up the body and suspension.Plus on the street I would hate to get hit by some idiot in a pickup.... at least with the cage I know he will have just as much damage as I would have.

Well you have all confirmed my "gut" as well, just needed a little push to get over the peak. Thanks for the input.

IT depends on what you want to do with the car. If your only going to the track a couple times a year just leave street tires on it to slow it down. I've got kids that are in car seats. Roll cage is not an option. My goal has always been 11.50's.

cage with no helmet in a crash is worse than no cage at all in some cases. If its only a once or twice a year racer, I wouldnt... and didnt.

My buddy uses his Blown 426 Hemi Road Runner the same way you described you intend to use it and as you can see doesn't have a cage but does have the Uni-body tied together with no Twist issues. If you intend to use the back seat for passengers they wont appreciate getting around it.

Attachments

• car%20show%20006.jpg
    56.1 KB · Views: 225
Put the 6 point in with a swing out it'll stiffen the car up even more,and is mandatory at the track for 11.49 or quicker..550 h.p. and your putting around on the street take that thing to the track weekly:burnout::burnout::burnout:

cage with no helmet in a crash is worse than no cage at all in some cases. If its only a once or twice a year racer, I wouldnt... and didnt.

This is the significant point.
If you are on the street & are in an even minor accident you'll probably clunk your head on the roll bar, without a helmet it'll be all over.

Banging your head on the roll bar during a crash on the street would definitely suck, but so would being told after your first pass at the track that your done for the day. You have to make the choice of which bothers you more. However, a crash may happen on the street; you will be told you're done after too fast of a pass at the track.

May compared to will makes my decision easy; my car will have at least an 8-point cage when I'm done with it.

I wouldn't want a bar in a car I'm driving on the street 99% of the time. The car should go faster than 11.50 at the track but also there are plenty of street cars running over 500hp without a bar.

My car runs a 550 HP and 610 TQ stroker. The best it has run is 11.53 at 118 MPH. I will not put a cage in it so I'm at the limit. I run it on drag radials with 3.55 gears through the mufflers. I have frame connectors in it, and it doesn't twist. It is truly a street car I can drive to the track and race as is. I didn't put a cage in it because I didn't want to cut into it. Another major consideration is insurance. A lot of companies, especially the classic car companies, refuse to insure anything with a roll bar.

Another major consideration is insurance. A lot of companies, especially the classic car companies, refuse to insure anything with a roll bar.

Not true..my duster is insured with Grundy...

I wouldn't want a bar in a car I'm driving on the street 99% of the time. The car should go faster than 11.50 at the track but also there are plenty of street cars running over 500hp without a bar.

And thats why they're on the street and not the track...

Put it together without a bar, make a pass down the track and if goes faster than 11.49 and you want to race the car put a mechanical throttle stop on it. They are like 15.00 from Jegs and Summit. I have few buddies who run them so they don't put a bar in their car. Just do frame connectors, torque boxes and weld the seams on the K-frame.

And thats why they're on the street and not the track...
They're not on the track because most of them are original muscle cars and valuable. Putting a bar in them would kill the resale value. Anyway the OP said he may go to the track once or twice a year he would have to weigh the pros and cons.

If your going to the track you need to be safe too many people think I'm not that fast and don't bother with the safety equipment until it's to late. Safety rules are there for your protection. It's better to be safe not sorry. You may actually be more comfortable in the car with a basic rollbar. Only you can decide

-
Back