Rolled back odometer anyone?

-

pishta

I know I'm right....
Reaction score
Took me 5 minute after the speedo was pulled out. Kinda like a Rubic's cube..
20220423_172708.jpg
20220423_172617.jpg

And in some states....it aint even illegal! :eek:

Funny thing about these old gauge faces. You touch them with almost anything and it leaves a mark. The anti glare finish turns almost into a chalk and anything that touches it will leave a burnished track. I bought a nasty mud crusted 64 Bezel at the fling and parted out the guages and the almost perfect lenses! A little Meguires plastic polish and they look 1964 new. Speedo worked after I lubed it, as well as the 3 other gauges.

That's about where this one was before I reset it. I dont even know what the one in my car reads but I guess it don't matter anymore (in some states, have not looked up Commiefornia yet)

Mine's only got 1500mi. to go and it'll roll Itself around!

View attachment 1715914276
I see your numbers are in a pretty straight line as they should be. Back in the 70s, I had friends in the car sales business. Someone once told me that when the mileage has been tampered with, you could usually tell by the numbers no longer lining up properly. I have seen lots of "low mileage" cars online where the numbers did not line up properly... some on this website. That tv show where that guy goes hunting rare and expensive cars bought a car on one episode showing like 11k miles and the odometer numbers were all up and down. I went to his website and emailed him to ask if he had ever heard anything like that. I never got a response. I have had some high mileage old cars and the numbers were always lined up straight across, even after rolling over back to zeros.

I actually rolled the odometer forward on my 69 Barracuda. When I restored it the first time about 30 years ago, it had about 98,000 miles on it. I set it at 00000. I figured that was fair since 1) absolutely everything was new or refurbished; and 2) I actually added 2,000 miles to it.

I actually rolled the odometer forward on my 69 Barracuda. When I restored it the first time about 30 years ago, it had about 98,000 miles on it. I set it at 00000. I figured that was fair since 1) absolutely everything was new or refurbished; and 2) I actually added 2,000 miles to it.
Seems reasonable. lol

I had thought that somewhere in the mid 70s Mopar put a scraper piece that
scraped the 10,000 digit when it turned over to next one or two

If ya Pulled the Mill, rebuilt it, worked the transmission, had her Painted, did the front end, rear bushings, ect, and put new tire on er, Why Not? She's new to You! As long as your not trying to sell it as a Factory Original, no harm, in my opinion. Its Your Car!

I'm sure someone will point out you probably broke 37 laws in 59 states:lol:

It's only illegal if the odometer is in a car. ! Over on FEBO right now , someone has a thread where he's re-boding a Cuda, transferring all his #stuff over to a different used cuda body, but that's not an issue either.

On cars as old as ours, I don't really care what the odometer shows. With my 73 Sport, I can't think of anything less important.

to line them all up all you need to do is bias them all in one direction. The natural motion of the rollers is up, so if you brush all the numbers down to stops on their gears, they will line up. I found it interesting that the 10K roller has a unique anchor that possible breaks the tooth when it rolls over 100K? This would allow a discriminating buyer to prove the odometer has rolled if they are purchasing a "55k actual miles" classic!
20220424_094959.jpg

(Unless this one was broke to begin with...)

This isn't a how to to defraud as all 6 digit rollers roll at 100,000 anyway and you simply check the box saying the mileage exceeds mechanical limits of odometer, ie they dont even matter anymore. This is just a rebuilt motor/trans/suspension indicator to you now. No one buying a beater classic is gonna care what mileage is on it as they will probably rebuild most everything to 0 mile spec or better with aftermarket stuff.

Last edited:
I,'m proud of my 21,000 "origional" miles showing on my odometer

Granted, it has had 21,000 "origional" miles 4 times now!

My recollection is if you record the numbers when you replace the speedo and what the new speedo says your are safe.

In this case the old number and 00000.0

I had thought that somewhere in the mid 70s Mopar put a scraper piece that
scraped the 10,000 digit when it turned over to next one or two
Interesting...did it make a mark? Wonder why they didnt just put a 7th roller in there. That would be a great selling point: "Our cars are designed to go past 100,000 miles and the million mile odometer proves this!"

I also remember from back in the day, people would unhook the speedometer cable for part of the year and drive their car using the tachometer to guesstimate the speed.

Toyota Timing Belt light is spot on the mark...this was my van just under 2 years ago....

20200702_083259.jpg

20200702_083303.jpg

Nek minute ....
20200702_083420.jpg

20200702_083423.jpg

:)

It's only illegal if the odometer is in a car. ! Over on FEBO right now , someone has a thread where he's re-boding a Cuda, transferring all his #stuff over to a different used cuda body, but that's not an issue either.
I have a Bud that took 3 cars and made one.....

-
Back